Anyone participated in the trending online 'trade/sell your watch'? | FerrariChat

Anyone participated in the trending online 'trade/sell your watch'?

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by 96redLT4, Jul 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Here is an example:

https://www.thewatchbox.com/trade-watch/?trk_msg=URSO766IPVGKDCNG8RD7NTFVNG&trk_contact=1TTAMILTIRMHNB6BIK88Q3I99S&trk_sid=CNULLCCCG0L3VQ6GI4ID8FBV78&utm_source=listrak&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Trade+Today&utm_campaign=wb_sunday

Curious what people's experiences are. I get the feeling that unless the watch you are trading is a Patek chronograph, Nautilus or a SS Rolex sport watch the amount you get will not be very satisfying. Like many of you guys, I am sure, I have accumulated a number of good Swiss watches over the years. I have read now in several business sources that this is a hot new trend ie the ability to easily offload your rarely worn watches and get a new one that is more desirable. I tried this once at the site Crown and Caliber just to see what would happen with a SS Girard Peregaux chrono. My recollection is that they give you an estimate range, in my case it was like $1100 to $1300. Of course they end up giving you the lower end of the estimate. Then after the mandatory cleaning/processing fees, I think I ended up with a little under $800 for my watch 3 or 4 months later. I have not bought a new watch in years, not because I can't afford it but just because it seems like a waste to have more than 7 or 8 at a time.

2. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Most big companies are full of **** when it comes to trade-ins. I always give a range and explain lower range is if it needs servicing and higher range is if needs nothing and/or only a polish. I also mention if the crystal is scratched or cracked (same goes for watches with ceramic bezels), then that's a big deduction but I try to find that out in advance. Watches with ceramic or carbon fiber cases are a bit more difficult and I always insist the owner look it over very carefully and send me more pics in advance.

So the moral of the story is it just depends who you're dealing with but the big resellers love adding deductions once they've received it.