Anyone know the car ? Uk 365gtc | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Anyone know the car ? Uk 365gtc

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by chaussurecowboy, Sep 24, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    Ed..... I initially referred to the Azzuro car ( Ex Portman EP 151 now OVJ 1G ) as 12249 when I should have written 12449........See below....

but have owned this 365 GTC ( 12249 ) twice.........Last sold in late 1990's to William Loughran who then sold it on to Anthony Bamford

Bamford DEFINITELY owned 12249 in 1970's........ See UK Ferrari Owners Club records......

paul

2. torquespeak

torquespeak Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Yes - we are in total agreement on that point. :)

He bought and sold 12249, then there was an approx 25 year gap, then he bought 12449.

My first post was intended to highlight what I believe is Christies' error - ie, Bamford NEVER owned 12449 TWICE.

-Ed

3. torquespeak

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Jonathan (or Marcel), teach me something new here... I'm guessing as Le Sancy was a race horse, that the Grigio name is what Pininfarina called '2.443.009', and the Argento moniker is the in-house Italver name for it?

Have I got that right?

-Ed

4. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    Sorry not one of your favoured tutors but I can answer that........Pininfarina named most, maybe all, its paint colours in the 1960's 70's 80's after famous race horses......Thus.... Grigio Le Sancy, Celeste Gainsborough, Blue Tourbillion, Grigio Mahmoud, Avorio The Tetrarch, Azzuro Hyperion, Verde Nijinsky etc etc....

I would ask the question Why ? Also was this only for cars built rather than just designed by Pinninfarina ? Most of these colours are associated with 2+2 models such as the 400 which prompts my question.

5. torquespeak

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    I've never found an answer to this. Most - or possibly all - of the horse-derived colour names are those of British or French horses.

Several of the horses have a family connection (The Tetrarch, Le Sancy and Tourbillon were all of the same sire line; and Gainsborough and Hyperion were also related).

Beyond this, there doesn't seem to be a pattern - but I'm sure someone somewhere must have the answer...

-Ed

6. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    I thought I was the only one sad enough to have looked into the history of race horses in relation to Ferrari paint colours! Unfortunately, I don't know the answer either and was also puzzled to find most of the horses to be English or French and winners of the English or French classics. Nearco was an Italian horse (1938 Italian Derby winner).

Also, some of the Max Meyer paint colours (not necessarily Ferrari-specific) were named after race courses (Autueil, Longchamps, Vincennes, Ascot, Newmarket).

Jonathan

7. torquespeak

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    To pre-empt Paul's next post... I think we BOTH 'need to get out more'! ;)

-Ed

8. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    I am still puzzled as to which cars qualified for these paints. I always associate them with 12 cylinder 2+2's but contradict my thoughts as I once owned a Daytona painted in Blu Tourbillion.......

9. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    I think in general you are right in that these were for the 2+2s but also that in practice a customer could have a special order of their car in pretty much whatever they liked. I have just looked at my copy of Keith Bluemel's Original Ferrari V12 and it does say that more-or-less (the distinction being between bodies built by Pininfarina and those built by Scaglietti).

Jonathan

10. torquespeak

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    I've only ever seen these paint names on Pininfarina-built cars from very late 1968 / very early 1969 up to 1989 (end of the 412 run).

The 365 GT 2+2 delivered new to Papadopoulos in late 1968 was Marrone Colorado I believe. The car is pictured in the following thread:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/vintage-thru-365-gtc4-sponsored-vintage-driving-machines/317373-ferrari-365-gt-2-2-london-1975-a.html

Is there a record of any car earlier than this with a PF 'racehorse' name?

I think the switch also coincides with the change from 330 GTC to 365 GTC. I can't think of any 330 GTCs said to be in these paint names, but every 365 GTC that I know of definitely was.

I know the 365 GTB/4 Daytona Speciale was painted in Blu Tourbillon, but then that particular car was also by Pininfarina.

Paul - was your Daytona definitely Blu Tourbillon when new? Or is there a chance that it was repainted to mimic the PF-built Daytona Speciale?

-Ed