Anyone know of a Mondial T Coupe for sale? | FerrariChat

Anyone know of a Mondial T Coupe for sale?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by 348SStb, Feb 5, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

Looking for an '89 Mondial T Coupe, preferably red. Anyone know of one?

Don't worry, 348 brothers -- the 348 stays!

2. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Hi Dave. Hope all is well.
    Sophia is doing well and has turned out to be the perfect F-car for us thus earning herself a permanent home. Best of luck in finding one of her sisters. If we hear of one, we'll certainly pass the information along.
    Ciao,
    John

3. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

Hi John,

Nice to hear from you. I finally have decided that I should just pull the trigger on the darn thing once and for all. Unofortunately, I know it will be hard to replace all the buying opportunities that have passed me by.

By the way, your car was the perfect car! I was all set to book a flight to Houston on that day of August, 2004 -- and then all of a sudden the car was sold!!

How many miles do you have now?

4. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Dave,

I wish you the best looking for a T coupe. If I could think of a better car, I would entertain offers on my low mile 1989 gem, but I cant come up with a better replacement!

I am sure you saw the white 1991 T coupe from Canada in the ferrariads.com section. It looks good to me.

5. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau

With low numbers of US coupes, could you consider a Euro and import it ?
    PS. Mines not for sale.

6. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

I would consider it but the importation procedure would probably be a nightmare...

7. NYCFERRARIS

NYCFERRARIS Formula 3

Mar 2, 2004
    I am a MondialT owner/driver and considering a 348! But everyone told me ..."hey you already have the F-car 348 drivetrain...." get something else F-car for variety...they are "siblings and you should get more variety inthe garage ..(I already have had a few other fcars and currently have another 8cyl f car ..) So....for those that have both...are the mondial T's and the 348's a much different experience to be worth having them both?

8. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

Interesting post.

I haven't driven a Mondial T Coupe, but I have driven a T Cabriolet.

I would say that the Mondial T is not quite a 348. The 348 is a couple hundred pounds lighter and does not have power steering. These aspects alone should change the driving experience.

To me the Mondial T Coupe is one of the coolest cars ever. The fact that it has the 348 engine and transmission makes it that much better. I think the driving experience of the Mondial T Coupe will be a little more relaxed than that of the 348, which is what I'm seeking.

Is yours a coupe or a cab?

9. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau

The T coupe is a bit 348 and a bit of 355 (electronic dampers/power steering) and you can get a relaxed experience on long tours. However the handling is quite different from 348/355. It's very controllable on the limit with it's long wheelbase. Tail-out slides are all part of the fun if you're that way inclined.
    If you can find one and test drive it - you might not stop grinning for a week.

10. Lusso5

Lusso5 Karting

May 2, 2005
    Houston, Texas

www.evintagemotorcars.com has had one in the online inventory for some time.

11. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    As a Mondial fan, the "t" coupe is the holy grail. Would love to have one. There were less than 50 imported to the US, I believe. Good luck and keep us posted. Just checked out the one posted above. I like red too, but I would be all over this black one. They are rare and black looks great on the mondi.

12. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

Thanks for the heads up.

Unfortunately, this one was sold just before Christmas. :(

13. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau
    #13 Beau365, Feb 6, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. NYCFERRARIS

NYCFERRARIS Formula 3

Mar 2, 2004
    Were they only 1989? Has anyone "reversed" chopped a T cab into a coupe using a mondial 3.2 coupe ( there seems to be a tom of those for sale all the time)? - I don't think the body parts are easily interchangeble though.. would be an awful amount of work....how about a "removable" steel top fo r the cabs like on the merc sl?

15. NYCFERRARIS

NYCFERRARIS Formula 3

Mar 2, 2004
    lighter cheaper and easier to fabricate...

16. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    That is correct. Though the t coupe was in production for the rest of the world for several years, from '90 onward, only cabrio versions of the t's were brought to the U.S. According to the factory, only 42 U.S. spec t coupes were built - all were 89's.
    Ciao,
    John

17. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Wonder what was the ultimate selling price on this car - it was shown at $49.500.00???

Carol

18. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

Does anyone remember the t coupe that was for sale at Newport Autosport (California) a little over a year ago? Red/tan, ~17,000 miles?

Did anyone keep track of where that car ended up? Just curious :D

19. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    GTSRacer has one for sale. Good car, reasonable price.

-Peter

20. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Agree with Beau! The Mondial t coupe is one of the most delightful cars to drive on track. I prefer it over the 348. We took one to the Glen for the Annual Meet in 1990 with delivery and travel miles on it and in the Red group, I was able to pass nearly everything, with the Goodyears, to boot!

They're terrific. If you can find one...

-Peter

21. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I had a t cab and it was a delight to drive. It handled great. The 348 is a more viceral experience. It is definitely not as quick as the 348, but it really became the most usable car that I had. Good luck.........

22. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau
    Hey Peter - can't help thinking we're disclosing one of the better Fcar secrets here. We'd better stop now, or everyone'll start buying T coupes.

23. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

I don't think you have anything to worry about.

And the Mondial t coupe "secret" is no secret to me or any of the other veterans of this board.

24. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael

Wow, I always thought I was the only onw that "knew" the T secret.

I am glad to see that there are others.

25. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

:D