Anyone in the (exotic) car rental business ? | FerrariChat

Anyone in the (exotic) car rental business ?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by omar, Jun 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. omar

omar Rookie

Apr 10, 2014
    Hello
    I had an idea and i want your opinions and i have some questions, so i want to take a 450000$ loan from the bank and start a business in Dubai , basically , i will invest in two used cars (a lambo and a ferrari) and start my own car rental company , and if i manage two get each of the two rented for like three days of the week, thats 6 days in total, i'll be making about 9k a week , thats 468k a year , as for the loan , my payments will be 10k a month, then after that just keep on making the business bigger and bigger.
    so , what do you think ? are the numbers that i mentioned real? can i get a car to rented for three days a week or is it a bit harder ? how can i promote it and get customers? is it too risky ? by the way, i'm only 17 and thinking about starting this business in a couple of years , i know i'm still young but i have ambition and don't want to be locked in a job for the rest of my life....
    thanks!

2. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Don't forget $10k month in maintenance and who knows how much in insurance...

3. omar

omar Rookie

Apr 10, 2014
    10k each?

4. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    There are lots of other costs, and risks to be considered. It is a fun business for those of us not in it, but I think it is more work than most people imagine.

It would be better for you to have a partner that has this business experience, and you would be the local partner. I would contact John Temerian (Supercarguru) on here, and see if he wants to partner up.

:)
    BT

5. omar

omar Rookie

Apr 10, 2014
    if i get the cars insured and maintained , wouldn't that keep the business safe?

6. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Insurance will be higher because a lot of ''unknown'' (to the insurer) people will drive it thus higher risk.

Maintenance the same, people will rent it for a day/couple of days so will likely rag it.

Personally I would not start with 2 cars with the 450K (I assume you mean the 458 and a Huracan); rather for the 450K I'd spend it on a couple of F430 Spiders and a Murcielago Roadster or a couple Gallardo Spyders (seeing as you want to base it in the UAE). People are happy to pay a little bit less for the 430s but seeing as you have more, you'll make more money.

On top of that I'd make sure they're all flappy paddles, less risk of them ruining an engine and get the revs limited by ~500-1000rpm (will help extend the engine that much longer, and it'll most likely spend a lot of time on there.

Also factor in downtime to repair (plenty of) scratches I would think. In fact, I'd get panels that get easily scratched made in fibreglass and pre paint them so it's a simple bolt on bolt off swap that can be done in very little time.

Especially when you have few cars, one day a car will have a shunt and you'll have a big headache cancelling bookings, waiting on insurance and all that. It's a risky business that's for sure.

7. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Keep in mind downtime for the repairs that WILL be required. If your cars are in the shop, you can't rent them. That would steer me towards a larger fleet of slightly less expensive cars, as suggested above.

Also, how realistic is your 6 days of rentals per week estimate? Do you have any data to back that up? Have you talked to existing companies to see how many days per week they average?

Good luck and keep us updated!

8. omar

omar Rookie

Apr 10, 2014
    thanks, you mentioned some great ideas and of course it's a risky business but i think leaving a period between each booking in case something bad happens can maybe reduce the risk...

9. omar

omar Rookie

Apr 10, 2014
    I don't know i was assuming that normally each car would be in business for 3 days of the week as i'm not experienced in this business nor any other because i'm still 17 , but it is still just a thought and hopefully will contact some companies and collect information as much as i can !