Anyone here living in penthouse? | FerrariChat

Anyone here living in penthouse?

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by Milanno, Feb 10, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Milanno

Milanno Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2012
    I would like to hear impressions from people owning penthouse. Its very specific type of apartment (if we can say like that) so I would like to get some insights from you guys.

Also I have few questions:
    1. How do you compare penthouse vs. house?
    2. Do you use large balconies a lot during summer?
    3. What are pros and cons from your experience?
    4. Penthouses can offer amazing view, so I am wondering would you exchange it for some other place where you dont have view (is that feature crucial for you)?

IMHO penthouses seems almost better places for living than houses:

http://vienna-prestige-living.com/img/immobilien/hoher-markt-wien-penthouse/05.jpg

http://www.thepinnaclelist.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/28-Neo-Bankside-Luxury-Penthouse-London-England-UK.jpg

http://houzedesign.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Luxury-Penthouse-Apartments-Design-Ideas-Modern-Look-Design.jpg

http://housefm.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/the_hyde_%E2%80%93_luxury_apartment_building_arhitektura_luxury_penthouse_apartment_.jpg

http://s18.postimg.org/vmybx3qg9/barcelona_suite_penthouse_suite_terrace_views_1.jpg

2. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    #2 zudnic, Feb 24, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
    1.) Its similar to a house. Most buildings though, well they don't seem to have the same quality feel as a house.

2.) Sure it can be fun to sit outside on a warm day and enjoy a good view.

3.) The cons is you are usually only allocated so many parking spots. More then two cars and you are looking for parking spots. Another con is most buildings have home owners associations. The only people with time to serve on these boards are old people. They make up ridiculous rules on how to use common areas. Not very many pros.

4.) You can find houses with million dollar views, for around the same money as a penthouse. Sometimes much less if you are talking Vancouver. Like my area you can get a 5,000sqft. house, 5 bedrooms, indoor pool, 10 acres, 5,000sqft shop (lots of car storage), barn and original 3bedroom farm house (guest house) for just under $2million. Has mountain views. Much better then a penthouse, no neighbors. Only negative 40 minutes into Vancouver. But has triple the amenities over a building. Nobody to tell you how to use the land.

Buying a penthouse is not about the apartment, well maybe a little with layout. Its mostly about building amenities. The examples you gave would be around $10million to $15million here in Vancouver. In that range or less you can get decent houses.

http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?PropertyId=15290207

http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?PropertyId=15315776 (good fixer upper or teardown and build a mansion)

http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?PropertyId=15060584

http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?PropertyId=15290207 (out of my area, but amazing views. Not shown in the listing is the garage for 22 cars, complete with hoists, etc. Also a helicopter pad)

Why live in an over sized apartment when you can have space in a house, plus yard space and total privacy. Room to collect cars or even horses if you wish.

3. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    Oh a more reasonable priced option.

6915 SATCHELL RD, Abbotsford, British Columbia   V4X2E3 - F1432823 | Realtor.ca

Needs an interior remodel. But good bones. Indoor pool is a nice bonus. The second house on the property, plus the 2 bedroom suite in the house, means lots of room for guests. Not mentioned in the listing is the barn also has a suite and games room above. This is perfect for the retired car collector. 10 acres is more then enough land and bonus, neighbors are not close to you.

4. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    Not that people will care but the North Burgess house with indoor skating rink (could convert into a garage) was at one time owned by Chad Kroeger lead singer of the band Nickelback.

5. Milanno

Milanno Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2012
    Zudnic that you for great insights. Its pretty interesting to notice how lifestyle differs in USA from one we have here in Europe.

Penthouses are very valuable in Europe since they provide amazing views on old parts of city (Vienna, Munich, Paris, London...). Also common rules are regulated by law, while owners are not so much in contact (except in garages).

For car enthusiast house is must-have. You need a looot of space :D

6. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    #6 F SPIDER, Feb 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Our office is a penthouse in Manhattan. The first few years we used the terrace all the time. Over time we are using it less and less, mostly for lunches and parties.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    Nice thing about Vancouver is it has mountains to the North. So neighborhoods like the British Properties have a million dollar view of the city. You don't have to resort to penthouse living for good views.

770 EYREMOUNT DR, West Vancouver, British Columbia   V7S2A4 - V1039819 | Realtor.ca

The listing doesn't show the view but it does have it. Views get old quickly, unless its of sunsets. We have several ocean front area's near Vancouver. They beat any city high rise view point any day.

But my way of thinking if I can't have waterfront, I want property. 10acres and above. No neighbors is awesome.

8. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    It's 100% a lifestyle choice.

Do you prefer the peaceful privacy of living in a house or do you prefer the convenience of living in the middle of a busy city, with the ability to walk to great restaurants and/or your place of work?

I could never compare a NYC penthouse with a great view to an equal-price home in the mountains with a great view.... Just completely different things.

9. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    #9 zudnic, Feb 25, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
    Yes its 100% lifestyle. I did live in a large 2 bedroom condo. The biggest problem for me was parking, only 2 stalls in the buildings underground. Second, a building association was formed. They closed all the common areas, including the pool at 8pm, even in summer. The pool and hot tub was in a separate building, no noise concerns. Others making such stupid rules and regulations, turned me off of building living.

I can shave 10 minutes off the drive into Vancouver outside of rush hour. Enjoy the downtown and have my own pool, hot tub. Land to walk my dogs. Building also banned larger dogs.

If I run out of space, can add onto a house. Parking is never an issue if you have several acres.

Another good bones house: 4287 46A ST MLS®-V1096895 for Sale | RE/MAX Id add two bedrooms. Garage is nice. Can do downtown Vancouver in 25minutes outside of rush hour. Id also add a pool and hot tub.

Or multi million dollar views: 746 TSAWWASSEN BEACH RD MLS®-V1072466 for Sale | RE/MAX the house I grew up in was 610 Tsawwassen beach Rd. Almost neighbors with this one.

10. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    As always, spot on.

I live in a high-rise smack in the middle of downtown. (I don't have the "penthouse" in my building).

I traded a bigger home, yard, garage, etc. for no commute, great food/entertainment.

The only things that bother me at the moment are having to take my dog out vs. just opening the back door, and missing my garage to tinker. Parking in my building isn't an issue. I just have to pay extra for extra parking spaces.

11. Kayvan

Kayvan Karting
    BANNED

Mar 29, 2009
    In what city ?

Penthouses are totally different concepts in NYC, Paris, LA

Even in NYC a penthouse in generic cookie-cutter high rise on Westside highway, midtown, UES is world la different than on Central Park, SoHo or TriBeCa

12. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    Found one I would actually consider. 3601-1239 W Georgia Street, Vancouver, BC, Apt/Condo For Sale | REW.ca Id have to redo the inside including kitchen. The five parking stalls is what has me going maybe. Plus the private exclusive use of the rooftop deck. Its near two hotels with excellent restaurants, plus a few nice restaurants in the neighborhood and an excellent Whole Foods like grocery store.

But for less money, can have privacy, my own pool, more living space and still be close to amenities. 13013 56TH AVENUE, Surrey, British Columbia   V3X2Z3 - F1450173 | Realtor.ca

13. Apexsniper

Apexsniper Karting

Aug 13, 2015
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    Adam
    For my 6M, I'm taking the house.

14. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    At $1,200/SF this seems very reasonable. That price point will get you a cookie-cutter apartment on Manhattan. A prime penthouse on 5th Avenue will set you back $10,000/SF

15. Gmaccormack

Gmaccormack Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2010
    How about west van? # Ph3 338 Taylor Way, West Vancouver Property Listing: MLS® #V1142639 9 parking stalls.

16. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
  17. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    #17 zudnic, Feb 3, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
    Some more examples. If you live in NY a penthouse makes sense. Pretty much all other areas being close to a major city in a house makes more sense. Although it might be a wrong opinion because now the trend is to live in major cities VS the suburbs. Older people are retiring to the city. Young families are staying in the city VS moving to the suburbs. Most people blame foreign buyers for Vancouver's real estate boom, its a part of the equation. The other is many want to be close as possible to the city.

Still for me Id rather have this: https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Single-Family/16496190/6260-28-AVENUE-Delta-British-Columbia-V4L2N6 30 minute commute into Vancouver. My own year round pool. 30 car garage. No close neighbors. O.k. every room needs a remodel. But its still a bargain compared to a Vancouver penthouse. In 1987, my parents wanted to add onto our house including indoor pool. The architects estimate came in at $680K for the project. My parents went house shopping to see if they could find what they wanted. This house is one they looked at. Back then it was $480k ask.

2001-1888 Alberni Street, Vancouver, BC, Apt/Condo For Sale | REW.ca a lot less sqft. neighbors, no privacy and limited parking.

18. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    Never lived in an house since I left my parents at 18
    been in a penthouse for the last 10 years.

I'd personally never go back to living in a house, city life just offers too much socially and for entertainment purposes. If you can afford a spacious enough apartment then you can get near the same interior space as a house.

I found that with the outdoor space in my penthouse it was something that I used lots at first but gradually less and less, I only really go out there on very hot days or with friends.

Parking is always an issue as mentioned above. though I have 3 parking spots.

19. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    The Mayor (Bob) lives in a Penthouse (or a very swanky apartment, at least) in Las Vagas. He posted a pic a while back.

20. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    I know a couple real estate agents in Vancouver and Toronto. The majority of their buyers love being near the entertainment of a big city. Second most shopping is walking distance, good for older people that don't want to drive. The younger people are also more environmentally conscious and don't want to drive. So walking distance to shops also appeals to them. The last big factor is commute. Driving into Vancouver from the suburbs in the morning is insane. The afternoon drive back is just as bad or even worse. Buyers want to be close to work. For families that want private education, the better private schools are near downtown Vancouver. The city does have more to offer everyone.

21. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    penthouses are about convenience in the city... many owners also have residences elsewhere away from the city... it is lifestyle dependent and perhaps age dependent...it is nice to have a beach house or other rural residences that allow for more freedom, I have found that center city living ( in a large metro area ) is more about not having to spend time commuting... in larger cities heat and air conditioning often is provided by a central utility and turned on / off with the seasons, unusual weather ( heat wave or cold snap ) may leave one wanting... living in a high density environment has restrictions...from a personal perspective the better solution is to have both to be able to avoid confinement from the inability to follow ones interest to their fullest...

22. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    +1 You can also walk to many places nearby on the spur of the moment and not need to waste time trying to park. On the downside, depending on your unit, you may be limited to 1, 2, or 3 owned parking spaces.

23. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    A couple of people in my neighborhood are here only on weekends. The rest of the time they live in the city. Horse people mainly. Guess buying a rural property as a second house for horse people, is like boat people buying a second home on a lake.