Anyone have experience with this? | FerrariChat

Anyone have experience with this?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by AnotherDunneDeal, Mar 29, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    A couple of days ago I started feeling some vibration coming from the driveline of my '86 BMW 325. Yesterday I heard the telltale metallic clank after I lifted off the accelerator and then accelerated again after rounding a corner. I crawled under the car today and twisted the spline of the driveshaft at the differential and sure enough, the u-joint is disintegrating. Now the rub.

I got out my service manual (I like to do a lot of my own work) and found out that the u-joint is not a servicable part and I must replace the driveshaft, not just the u-joint. It appears as though the driveshaft is covered totally from front to rear of the car by an exhaust heatshield that will have to be removed. Will also have to remove the exhaust system as it runs under the driveshaft.

I will probably make a trip to the local pick-n-pull to see if I can find a good driveshaft/u-joint combo there. This is one thing I have not done before. I know I could take it to the dealer and spend $600-$700 to get it done but believe I can do it myself for under $100. Does anyone have any experience in this and can you help with some shortcuts?

The car is 20 years old this month and has over 210,000 miles on it so I guess it is time for the u-joint to go. Yes, it is not worth much but I have reasons for wanting to keep it. I have replaced u-joints before, just not a complete driveshaft that was totally covered under the car.

2. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    James, find a good truck place for big rigs and heavy equipment and see if they can rebuild it. unless its welded on, the u joint should be rebuildable with todays technology. as common as bmw's are i cant believe you would have to go through alot of trouble and expense. there should be a transaxle / drivetrain place near you in your city. we have them here and they seem to fix everything from farm tractors to military collector vehicles.

hope it works out. wierd design it seems.

3. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    I took a close look at it and it seems to be a non-servicable unit, as the manual says. Instead of being able to unbolt the clamps that hold the u-joint , it appears to be welded. I am going to have to get the driveshaft out to get a better look. I think I will call in one of my markers from one of my old BMW techs and see if he will do it on the side for me. He has done other work in the past but that has been a couple of years ago.

Thanks for the suggestion about the truck places. There are several machine shops within short driving range that I may check into...........

4. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    good luck, i hope it can be fixed cheap !