Anyone have a new Giulia | FerrariChat

Anyone have a new Giulia

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by boxerman, Jan 14, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    After looking at the full gamut of new cars available, Honda civic type r to Audi RS5, I think I'm settled on the Gulia sport TI with AWD as my daily. I loved the way it dorve, heads and shoulders above other moderns, the germans being bland to boring and overpirced and the Japanese stuff stiffly sprung and cheap.

Anybody have experience with these cars. I know early ones had mechanical foilbles, how are the new 19/20 ones now.?

Makuono likes this.
  2. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    I’m actually waiting for mine. A Giulia super, in Alfa red.

3. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    Yup, 2019 AWD Ti Sport. Lipari Grey with tan interior. Only 3100 miles on it so far, but 100% trouble-free. VERY highly recommended!

Lots of info here: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/alfa-romeo-giulia.505665/

Deals can currently be had now on leftover 2019's. This dealer would be worth your drive: https://www.alfaromeousaofstrongsville.com/

Any specific questions, just holler!

DM

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. 250californiafan

250californiafan Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2006
    Shawnee, KS
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I bought a 2018 Giulia TI Sport awd back in October. I have only put 2,000 miles on it so far, so I can't comment too much on long term reliability but it has been problem free for me. It seems like most of the problems were on the 17's and early 18's. Most of those issues can be fixed with software updates. I will say that the Giulia is a fantastic daily driver.

5. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I have a 2018 Giulia Ti Sport Performance Q2, love it! Solid car, needed a few software updates but now is niggle-free. Great driving car, the 2.0 is surprisingly quick, love the steering as well.

Sent from my iPod touch using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. Rags747

Rags747 Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Have an 18 TI Sport, wife’s car. She loves it as do I. Handling is fantastic, plenty of power from the 2.0, gas mileage high 20’s to mid 30’s on long trips. 15k now and zero issues, love the Misano Blue color. Thought I had separate photos, but not on this iPad.

MalcQV and spider_s like this.
  7. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    I just picked up a Stelvio , a few people I know have the Giulia and they rave about it and the value.
    So far 500 miles on mine and I like it. Great deal too.

8. spider_s

spider_s Rookie

Jan 3, 2020
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    S Webb
    So, oddly enough, my first post on here and it's about an Alfa.:) I've got a 17 Ti Q4 currently with 20k on it, bought new. Only issue mine has had was the center cluster screen failed in October, it took 5 weeks for it to be fixed as the part was on backorder. As you've stated, it drives and handles great and has enough power for a daily. Thoroughly pleased with mine, zero complaints with the car. Mine is Monte Carlo blue with tan (not beige) interior.

For those curious, I signed up here to read about the California models as I'm contemplating getting one versus a 911.

9. CodeRed

CodeRed Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    LALA LAND
    I have a giulia quadrafolio, it's a great car. Really good value and I have had zero issues in 12K miles. There are a few niggles, but that is true of any car. I also have a 67 GTV, so rather fond of the brand.

10. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    What year ? I heard the 17 were problematic ?

11. Guilhermerossi1990

Jan 8, 2020
    Modesto, CA
    Full Name:
    Guilherme Rossi
    Mine is 2017 quadrifoglio, 22k miles. No issues so far. Different from the FF but I don’t want to talk too much to avoid the PTU police from coming

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Makuono, Boomhauer, tonyswfla and 2 others like this.
  12. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I have no need for a sedan, but I like the Giulia Quad so much I wish I did. Very beautiful for a four-door, and sports car performance.

13. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Since when do you buy cars for "need".;)

You don't need a Ferrari. You don't need a Raptor. And you certainly don't need that new place either.;):D

greg328, Boomhauer and G. Pepper like this.
  14. CodeRed

CodeRed Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    LALA LAND
    Mine is an '18, with zero issues...better than the amg merc that I had previously

15. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Doing a deal on a 19 Sport TI AWD.
    Frankly this is the First modern car I actualy enjoy driving.

16. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    Hi!

I'm receiving a new Giulia Super 2.0T by next week.

Alfa red with Tan interior. Sunroof.

Can't wait.

I have a Ferrari...but I assume, I love Alfa Romeo.

greg328 and Boomhauer like this.
  17. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Picked mine up yesterday. A modern car but enough endearing quirks that you know its not German.
    Only major fault, you cant turn off the esp/traction.
    The owners manual is gibberish, translated from italian.
    Stteering is modern f-car sharp.
    Its more or less a toned down ferrari 4 door in an unobtrusive suit.

pilotoCS, ryalex, 19633500GT and 4 others like this.
  18. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I usually break it down for friends that FCA has Ferrari make the 2-door sports cars, they make the BMW 5, 7 and X5 competitors as Maserati and the 3-series (and X3) competitor under Alfa.

greg328 and G. Pepper like this.
  19. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Just did my first real drive yesterday, about 200 miles.
    Compared to the e46 M3, its not as engaging, not being NA or a stick. But the ride is far better resolved and the handling feels better, its has that undefinable sense of ocasion that Italian cars are known for.
    The steernin is an inetresting take on eps and follows modern ferrari practice in that theres not really feedback or feel, but its pin point sharp and acurate so brings its own new dimension, think go cart steering sharpness. You can change direction or go through corners with the flick of a wrist.

Of moderns it probably has the best inetrface with the transmission, its not jerky its smooth but quick, and anticipates well.
    The motor, its most like a modern diesel in that there is a wall of torque from 1500 rpm. At 80 its just over 2k rpm and a slihht foot movement sees you doing 95 all in the top gear. You have to watch the speed because the motor is not spining up and making noise to add a lot of speed. Its also pulls from down low like a small block chevy in a vette. With low mileage I dotn think Ive used half throttle yet, and I see redline is like 6500 rpm low., but I imagine spiniig up the motor adds anotehr dimension.

Cruising down the highway at 75-95 and working odd bits of traffic I was getting 28 mpg.

Not as engaging as the e46 M3, but more sense of special ocasion and event, if that makes sense. It also hadles and rides betetr than the e46 and seems very well screwed together, not rattle or loose bits. Some small stuff dosent make sense like the hood release handle in the footwell is 90 korea car flimsy.
    You cant turn off esp.

But they really have the driver interface ergos down great, theres space for your leggs and feet, your hands naturaly fall to the controlls, you cant rest your elbows on the center console or armrest and your hand natural falls tot he 8 or 5 oclock position on the wheel, so its really conmfortable to drive and the steering wheel rim is the right size and thickness, plus feels nice and quality in the hands as opposed to BMW Mcar over thick. In fact everything you touch while driving from the pedals to steering to paddles feels jewel quality and special.

If anything it feels like a cross between the fun of the e46 and the cabin comfort of a newer 7 series, all with the flicability of a far smaller car.
    Subjectively, I wake up and think, cool I get to drive my Alfa today. You get out the car at the other end having a sens of an event and your comfortable.
    As you can tell I really love it.

I looked at everything from Honda Civic type rs to Subie WRXs to BMWs. I think if youre a driver, but need great daily that does luxury comfort in a sprting vein with real driving fun, this is imo the only game in town unless youre spending 150k+ on lux 911.

The car ive driven recently thats most similar is a new boxter S. Both motors dont inspire greatly but really do the job from down low with no lag. They handle great and work great on road. The Alfa has some latin charm a great ride and cool cabin to boot.

Basicaly its a Ferrai 488 lite in a 4 door unobtrusive suit.
    Sometimes the underdog tries a lot harder.

LightGuy, greg328 and 95spiderman like this.
  20. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    congrats! cant believe I haven't seen this thread till now. I got my 18 awd ti sport year and half ago. 12k miles, mostly suburban, some highway, and get this - several track days! been completely trouble free. only changed oil once and new tires. fantastic daily driver with great ride and handling. I don't love the motor but ok if in sport mode and using paddles. worse thing is cannot shut esc/tc off which is crazy. only car I can think of with that. haven't had any snow to see how that goes but probably fine. my lease is over after summer and will probably switch to audi rs5 sportback. has better motor and I love it in green.

G. Pepper likes this.
  21. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

How was it on track?
    I was thinking its not really trackable but maybe Im wrong.

22. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    not bad. weather forecast was for heavy rain so at least i stayed dry in alfa vs elise. I also use it if my son comes along bc he doesn't drive stick. had runflat all seasons which were the limiting factor. haven't tried it now that I have changed to regular high performance tires. its probably as good as or better on track than any hot sedan from decade ago.
    btw, I got an aftermarket carbon rear spoiler that I attached myself. looks just like the quad one for $150. and still on the car too. lol

23. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Yeah not a fan of runflats, apart from grip they dont do ride any favors. Youve inspired me to use them up somewhere suitable.

Just did another 180 mile day yesterday which included a mountain pass. As I'm not up on the mileage yet didnt run the motor out, but I can feel the potential there.
    Its really a dual mode car. Comfortable on highway, yet with the steering ratio still needs to be driven, and feels like theres a near sports car hidden underneath when you push a bit on tighter twisties, something the new BMWs despite their numbers lack(with the exception of M2).

That steering makes it feel really sharp and accurate, but I can see that when you change direction l-r or r-l youre still dealign with somehing that weights a bit and the steerign cant mask that, I imagine understeer is there for the taking. Sill an excellent ride, one can only ever tell so much on a test drive, the reality is expanding on my initial positive impressions.

Pity it does not have an evocative soprano motor. Seems like only the Hyundai Veloster N manages that in the turbo 4.
    MPG on highway 27-28 and its cofortable groove speed is around 85, with slight foot movement seeing almost imediatly at...Its a highway mile muncher par exelelance, somehting euro cars do so well. Defintely not boring.

LightGuy likes this.
  24. asianbond

asianbond Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Just got new Giulia 2.0. Hands down best driver's sport sedan on the market. Steering, power delivery, throttle response, immediate transmission actions, balance, road feel, interior, looks. Just perfect! Mini ferrari with 4 doors.

Boomhauer, greg328, Makuono and 2 others like this.
  25. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander