Anyone have a delivered 812 with GPF? | FerrariChat

Anyone have a delivered 812 with GPF?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by khal360, Oct 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. khal360

khal360 Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2005
    Hi all. Concerned about exhaust sound with GPF installed. It is a concern on other threads but wanted to know firsthand if anyone has had a 812 with GPF delivered or has heard one. Thanks.

2. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Agree, would be great to hear. Also, all 812 GTS will have GPF fitted so would be great to hear from someone who sees (and hears!) one of those driving around. Obviously customer deliveries are months away but I have seen pics of them being driven (I think near Maranello)

3. Foxmod

Foxmod Karting

Jun 17, 2012
    Midlands, UK
    Full Name:
    David
    keen to know too, my tailor made 812 coupe due sometime next year!

4. GCSF

GCSF Rookie

Sep 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    Bernhard Hellmich
    The stricter EU pollution regulations apply for models like the 812 coupe only from 2021. So maybe 2020 MY coupes will have no GPF?

Gesendet von iPhone mit FerrariChat

Gianfranco341 and Ltfor3 like this.
  5. Foxmod

Foxmod Karting

Jun 17, 2012
    Midlands, UK
    Full Name:
    David
    This is what I hope for!

daytona355 and tickerhound like this.
  6. tickerhound

tickerhound Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2016
    IL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    My car was delivered in SEP (JUL 2019 build). It's a 2020 and definitely no GPF fitted.

daytona355, Foxmod, deltona and 2 others like this.
  7. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    FWIW I spoke to a major parts supplier today and he mentioned the Lambo SVJ has already been shipped with GPF and it was easy to remove.

We won’t know for sure until people get their hands on the GPF spec’ed 812 to check, but I remain hopeful of an after market solution...

daytona355 likes this.
  8. Ltfor3

Ltfor3 Karting

Oct 14, 2013
    FL
    Full Name:
    L.T.
    Mine is coming on about 8 weeks and I’m not sure if it will or won’t have GPF. I know my GTS order will do very curious the difference or if much ado about nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

daytona355 likes this.
  9. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Exactly the same here. U.K. car built July 2019, MY20, no GPF.

Foxmod and KenU like this.
  10. montpellier

montpellier Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2009
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Having read about the comments here and with other manufacturers I look at it like this. It is likely all cars from Jan 1st 2020 (intro date of next level legislation)will be GPF fitted to meet the Euro 6 and various add on regulations (TEMP/IVAC/ISC - 5 year 100k emissions) that are effective from that date . Ferrari cannot be seen to not meet these requirements when competitors like Lambo do. They have greater margin due to the sub 10000 cars but can you imagine owners of Ferrari being banned from certain city centres and the Lambo drives past. Ferrari cannot be seen to not meet regulations if you think about it. Maybe they will make a different approach for the Americas but with the current sensitivity on these issues it is hard to think Ferrari would risk reputational damage and they are as we know a very responsible high quality manufacturer and would not risk that . It will be interesting to "hear" the impact of these changes, efforts have been made on the V12 to generate cabin noise from the induction system (already done with 488 ) we were told at the GTS launch , though externally noise will be less , quite a lot if the F8 videos are anything to go by. So we will have the real answer for new cars registered in January is my guess. I wonder if removal of such equipment will be deemed illegal ? So it will no longer be possible to replace OEM exhausts.

11. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    crikey, I wonder how big a percentage of Ferrari owners do change the stock exhausts these days, given there are so many varied options out there... presumably there must be allowance to do so or those manufacturers like capristo etc would be warning about shutting down?

12. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    What is still unlear is when the GPF was/will be fitted to 812SF.

If the requirement is for all cars registered after January 2020 then surely all cars in build now will have it but what about cars that were built in 2019 without GPF and not being registered until 2020? There must be some kind of overlap or is the GPF requirement for cars build date rather than first registration date?

13. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    FWIW, I just drove a newly arrived 2020 812 tester at Algar. No absolute way of knowing whether it had the GPF, but it sure didn't sound or feel the least bit inhibited.

14. montpellier

Aug 27, 2009
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Paul
    From reading various documents and statements from other manufacturers, it is the Jan 1 st registration date that counts. Might explain the rush on Pista/Pista spider production . Ferrari may have a little grey area due to exemption as a small manufacturer but in principle it looks like all 2020 registered cars will be compliant. For 812 that actual change date is harder to determine, I guess it must have happened by now unless production is currently for USA only until GTS also hits the line so change is concurrent on coupe too. It will probably take a back to back with a GTS and 2019 coupe before we all can hear the impact, if any.

deltona likes this.
  15. GCSF

GCSF Rookie

Sep 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    Bernhard Hellmich
    Euro 6d TEMP is in place for new type registrations since 01 SEP 2017 and for all new registrations since 1 SEP 2019. The more stricter version of Euro 6 will be in place for new type approvals from 01 JAN 2020 and for all new registrations of approved type from 1 JAN 2021 ( https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/euro-6-alles-wissenswerte-zur-aktuellen-abgasnorm/ ). Thus, 812 GTS, F8 and SF 90 must have GPF from 01. JAN 2020, but 812 SF (coupe) can be registered without GPF till 31 DEC 2020, as the 812 SF was type approved before 01 JAN 2019. If the 812 SF would require a GPF based on the less stricter Euro 6d-TEMP, we would have seen them already for cars registered from 01 SEP 2019.

Now the question is, will Ferrari continue the 812 SF (coupe) beyond 2021 with the 812 GTS and 812 VS being introduced in 2020? If the answer is no, I doubt we will see a GPF in the 812 SF as this would require quite some development and investment for only one year of production left and no legal requirement to do so.

Summary: there appears to be no clear answer for this question yet - let us see what happens the next couple of months.

16. montpellier

Aug 27, 2009
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thanks for this, so coupe can be produced all through 2020 without GPF, so that would explain why no one has seen a car fitted as such. Good question on VS, though they would use GTS revised unit as the base where GPF is fitted one would think. Though where the extra bhp will come from is a different matter (GPF clearly took a step of ICE development to maintain output) . Maybe a Lambo solution with mild battery assistance ?

deltona likes this.
  17. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Maybe we have.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. abdulla.alhajri

abdulla.alhajri Karting

Jul 16, 2015

Does this mean 2021 we will see an increased GTS production along side 812 VS

19. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    I'm as bored as everyone else of the GPF topic... BUT this gave me cause for concern. After listening to some seriously depressing sounding 2020 model year cars on Youtube with GPF fitted (e.g. Porsche GT4 and Audi R8) I started to look around for after market solutions to those, as a window into what we could expect for Ferraris. However, the below one from Capristo STILL sounds crap even with the GPF removed. And this is on an Audi R8, a naturally aspirated V10 which used to be celebrated as one of the best sounding engines out there. How can that be; even with no GPF the new model sounds bad...??!! Any ideas welcome!

https://capristoexhaust.com/product/r8-4spa-valved-exhaust-system-remote/

20. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Sounds like a trombone or maybe a tuba! Agree its a huge let down.

21. Doug23

Doug23 Karting

Jun 23, 2017
    Italy
    Euro 6d-TEMP and Euro 6d-FINAL have the same particulate limits for gasoline engines (PM: 4,5 mg/km; PN: 6*10^11 in WLTC and 9*10^11 in RDE), so I can't understand why the same car can meet 6d-TEMP without GPF but will require it to comply with 6d-FINAL.