Anyone else lifting 200% or more of their body weight? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Anyone else lifting 200% or more of their body weight?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Mr. Francesco, Jun 25, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mr. Francesco

Mr. Francesco F1 Rookie

Oct 10, 2010
    Full Name:
    Mr. Francesco
    How will squats benefit other lifts?

2. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Squats use over 200 muscles and create a nice surge of growth hormone. The squat also trains your nervous system to balance and handle heavy loads, and the benefits extend beyond the lower body. It truly is a full body lift

3. HobbsTC

HobbsTC Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2004
    Lakeland, FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    I agree with squats. Also look at GOMAD. Lots of gains in size for people who do it.

4. Mr. Francesco

Mr. Francesco F1 Rookie

Oct 10, 2010
    Full Name:
    Mr. Francesco
    Good information. Thank you :)

5. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    My powerllifting friend basically told me same. Squats can help for sure.

6. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Of course, that's what we're all here for :)

7. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    PS -- should probably mention that, just in case you are not familiar with free weight squatting technique, the advice of a professional should be considered before jumping into a squat routine. Few exercises can match it's value in your arsenal of weight room moves, but few exercises can jack you up quite so badly if you use improper technique. Warm up, use good form, and make sure your flexibility and range of motion in your hamstrings and hips is not compromised. Stiff hamstrings can really make things hard on your back (I run a lot and find that, in order for me to use good form on the squat, I have to stretch my hamstrings before performing the movement -- opposite from what I do everywhere else). Any pain in the lumbar region should be taken very seriously.

Carry on!

8. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Quite impressive! I wish I could personally lift 600+ lbs! :eek::eek:

9. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    Plus I always feel the body just looks better when its bit more evened out. Big upper body and chicken legs isn't right.

10. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    #35 ryalex, Jul 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Very true...of course, if you're like me, you can squat heavy and get stronger, but still have chicken legs :) Actually, I guess I'm pretty proportional, so I shouldn't complain.

12. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    There's a guy I see at the gym that has this body.

I have never ever seen him work his legs. I have chicken legs by DNA, but you can tell that I actually work them out.

13. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Francesco,

I've worked with very thin people before in trying to gain lean mass, having used various techniques to add weight while increasing strength along the way. Weight gainer shakes are usually the go-to idea for somebody trying to bulk up, but rarely does the programming change. These are you're two most common mistakes.

Diet isn't the only factor here; although understand that if you've got an unusually high metabolism, eating MUCH more food is 100% better than trying to simply add 100g of carbs from a shake to do the job an extra four eggs or peanut butter sandwich could do for you. Whole food is always a better answer if doable.

Looking at the mechanics of your bench, I can see you're not very strong with your triceps. You're also headed for some serious shoulder issues and/or AC Joint problems pressing with your elbows out like that. I'm willing to bet you feel pain right at the end of your collar bone. Pressing from nipple-level with your wrist, elbow and lateral delt in a line is safer and will use more triceps, taking allot of pressure off your pecs trying doing all the work.
    If you tell people that the bench press is a full body movement, most will laugh at you. And where I wouldn't tell you to squat to improve your bench, I would tell you to work more on your lats. Now you're doing this when you're doing pull-ups, but with such little volume I doubt there's much mass being added to your back. Drop the weight, and try higher volume pull-ups, low rows and the like while switching this higher volume back to higher intensity a couple times a week. Upper back work is vital to a good bench, and when loading up on nutrients (much more food!) in the process, you'll undoubtedly put on some weight.

Over all, I'd be REALLY interested in knowing all the details of your training schedule. This is where quite a bit could be tweaked and worked on. If you were a client of mine, I'd have you doing some heavy single arm pressing weather it be flat, incline or military. Single arm work has worked very well for myself and my clients in working out some inherent imbalances between sides when only working with the bar, machines, or even two dumbbells. You'll be surprised at the increased control you'll feel under the bar in the weeks after implementing some unilateral work into your routine. I'd also be sure to force some overhead presses into your program - strict press. It WILL help your bench. Plain and simple.

Looking at the video again, it looks like there's some trouble with the lockout. This is another indication of tricep weakness. Floor press would be a go-to for me as well as the overhead press and JM press. Where chains and bands help the lock-out, accommodating resistance would only be used by me with somebody either trying to break through a plateau, or someone very sable under varying weight showing complete control in any other lift. When you have those unaddressed weaknesses and balance issues, working with accommodating resistance could end up not yielding a thing. If you're game, work with somebody who has various chains and bands and the experience with strong people using them. Close grip bench using chain for reps of 5 would be a fine accessory on a heavy upper day for instance. I'd personally start by wrapping a band around your back. But that's easier typed like that than explained.

I know this isn't supposed to be about the video - you are quite strong for your weight! Don't let people tell you you're at genetic max for your joints either. A little Turkish man named Halil Mutlu snatched 302lbs. in 2000 weighting only 123lbs. With proper training and nutrition, you can definitely add mass and increase your lifts.

Leg work will put on valuable size and thereby increase your weight as well. Don't neglect the squat! I lift with a powerlifting mentality ( and will be competing in September :) ) when it comes to my programming, so the squat and deadlift are high on my priorities. I wouldn't be a lean 220lbs if I only benched.

Get strong all over, add muscle. But it begins by breaking down how you lift and what you're eating.

14. Mr. Francesco

Mr. Francesco F1 Rookie

Oct 10, 2010
    Full Name:
    Mr. Francesco
    Good information, thank you :)

I tend to do an equal amount of bicep and tricep exercises, but ultimately I would like to focus and define my triceps more.

As far as pull-ups go, every other time that I do them I incorporate the weights. I'll do 3 reps of 15 without additional weight, and 3 reps of 6 - 8 with additional weight.

I'm going to reread what you said a few more times and work on my grip, elbows, etc. :)

15. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    That's VERY good advice about the triceps. Looking at the video, I see what Modena1 means, and he's very right. I had the same issue about 8 years ago, and I did end up with some Acromioclavicular joint pain and swelling. Since strengthening my triceps with a number of exercises, no more issues. I also narrowed my grip on regular bench, which taxes the triceps a bit more and takes stress off of the shoulder joints. You're weaker at first, but your strength goes up pretty quickly.

What triceps exercises are you currently incorporating into your routine?

16. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    Back in high school sr year I weighed 150 lbs and could bench 330lbs. I also did dips and pull ups with 100lbs strapped to my waist pretty easily. My goal was to break the Pa state bench press record for the 148lb weight class, but I missed the registration deadline. I would have smoked it.
    Anyway, you could bench 225 at 98lbs, but it will take a lot of hard work, and set manipulation. Things really slow down when you get to pushing twice your weight. Whatever you do, do it naturally, don't worry about your body weight, with age it will come. Your bone structure is not set up to carry a lot of bulk. There are soo many frauds out there taking testosterone and roids completely screwing themselves up in the long term mentally and physically. Be proud of being the cockstrong skinny guy at the gym that looks like he'll be crushed by the weight he's attempting to lift, only to lift it easily. I was a strong as some of the seniors in my high school and I was 15 yrs old weighing 140lbs pushing up 280lbs in my mid sophomore year, people looked at me like I was crazy for attempting to do what I was doing. Be proud of it.
    Don't neglect your upper back and shoulders. Keep things even, and it will keep you from getting injured. One other trick is to alternate starting with decline bench press then going to flat bench every other week.

Jim

17. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Hey Jim, I'm 54 years old, 188 lbs. I squat 523, bench 400, sumo dead lift 475. But that's all with gear. Raw numbers, take a 100 off the squat, 80 off the bench, 35 off the sumo. I've been powerlifting for decades. Lot of fun, great people.

18. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    Thats great! Yes it is, a lot of fun, although the old networking isnt like it used to be in this area at least.

Jim

19. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    Impressive numbers, just curious what gear are you referring to using bench.?You are almost putting up world record numbers for the 50-60 year old bench press. :)

20. wjw300tt

wjw300tt Karting

Feb 25, 2008
    chilliwack BC Canada
    Most people dead way more than they squat. How come you got it in reverse and are using sumo instead of the traditional way?

21. George Vosburgh

Silver Subscribed

The stroke is much shorter in sumo. I'm only 5'5", the tall guys prefer traditional. As to why my sumo is not as strong as my squat is something I've battled for a long time!

22. George Vosburgh

Silver Subscribed

A bench shirt, single ply kevlar for USAPL meets.

23. barbazza

barbazza Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 10, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    No clue. I weigh 225 and bench 98... :D

24. Mr. Francesco

Mr. Francesco F1 Rookie

Oct 10, 2010
    Full Name:
    Mr. Francesco
    As of the last week I've changed my workout around a little bit.

I've changed my grip (in more as advised) when doing bench presses (flat, incline, decline). Surprisingly, I'm still able to maintain the same weight and reps on my benches, but I do feel a difference and less strain on my chest and shoulders.

For wide grip pull-ups, I got bored the other day and did them with a 60 lb dumbbell instead of a 45 lb plate, and I was able to do 6 reps, which really surprised me. I'm also doing a few burnout sets with no weights.

I want to build up my triceps more, so I've added more tricep exercises to my routines. I've been doing a lot of skull crushers, and various dumbbell exercises as well.

25. mrizkallah23

mrizkallah23 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark Rizkallah
    What do you eat? Gaining size is combination of food, workout, and recovery. Its a science and you gotta make sure you hit all parts of it. I know i way around 225 right now maybe 8% body fat. You need to start doing dead lifts, I will tell you that i put over 25 pounds of muscle and the biggest different i made was adding deadlifts. I dead about 465 pounds now and as that number grew so did my size. Also if you get a chance check out this guys stuff. You could contact him for coaching...the guys is a beast. If anyone can put size on you, he can.
    http://www.t-nation.com/ALSAuthor.do?p=John%20Meadows&pageNo=1

He knows everything about lifting and eating. To gain weight man you need to start eating above 3000 cal a day...You gotta think that body builders eat 5k plus...Eat and start adding the big main lifts to your workouts, and you have to realize that you can always push genetics. You gotta visualize that and you gotta believe it.

Also here are some tips that will go a long way.
    1. Throw benching out the window for a little...you will mainly just ruin your shoulders and get little gains. Instead take a bench that can go incline. Go to the smith machine and set it at a 45 degree angle which is just above bench and below the high incline position. HIT THAT **** HARD...you will feel your whole chest working. I have not benched once in a year and my chest jumped from 44 inches to 48 inches. Also make sure you warm up shoulders first before you hit it.

2. Work your delts with high volume. this you will find in the link i sent above. Scroll through the articles and he will cover shoulder training and delt work. My arm has never looked better since i started hitting my delts really heavy.

If you look at his articles he has every body part workout, follow his program for 12 weeks. Its pretty insane.

he works 3 weeks of low to mid volume then for 6 weeks he ramps up the volume and then the last couple weeks are a deload week ( light lifting)

Sorry for the rant but working out is a passion of mine... Also I am not some guy who looks like **** and is giving advice...i practice what i preach. Also check out the T-nation.com site...good stuff with a lot of advice. GOOD LUCK! be patient gains take many years.