Anyone attend a "Crossfit" gym? | FerrariChat

Anyone attend a "Crossfit" gym?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by BubblesQuah, Feb 10, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BubblesQuah

BubblesQuah F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte
    I see it has been about 3 years since there was a thread on this, I figure that's enough time passed to start a new one.

There is one about 3 blocks away from me - does anyone here attend one?

I'm a beginner - but for some reason this actually appeals to me - something different, seems far more interesting than going to a typical gym.

I'm going to check into the intro classes. I guess my main concern is my ability to stay motivated or get motivated, especially at the beginning - at least long enough to see some benefits and growth in ability to make me want to keep going.

Is this too hard core or is this exactly what I'm looking for?

2. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    they look intimidating in that they dont seem to start out with light weight exercises. looks like its very strenuous from the get go. makes me think that an injury is inevitable.
    ed

3. muk_yan_jong

muk_yan_jong Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2008
    Full Name:
    Brian McK
    #3 muk_yan_jong, Feb 11, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
    I crossfit and I love it. Haven't injured myself yet and don't foresee anything unless I go out of my way to do something stupid.

The way the classes are structured and the method of warming up to the day's workout (WOD) minimizes injuries. The instructors (most times the space owners) are trained to be highly attentive to form and they do not hesitate to tell you to stop and lighten up any weight. Classes are small and you never feel lost.

As for the intimidation, there is a bit of it but not bad. There are women who can throw 150 pounds around like it was nothing next to me who still can't clean 100 yet. There are guys who can deadlift 500lbs. You stop looking at that after a while because so much concentration is needed for your own goals. Believe me. No one is looking at you either. It's a very encouraging effect.

I started last April with what my place called the On-Ramp. 8 weeks 2X/week to both assess my fitness level (intermediate at the time) and to slowly introduce and strengthen their regular forms. Just that is enough for some people, but once you cross over and if you start to change your diet at the same time, some amazing things happen VERY fast. I have a physical confidence that I would have never thought possible and as most know that really helps the mind come around as well. I am 41 this year, but I feel better than I ever have before. EVER.

On the whole I've met good people with a pretty big wellness bent, but that's not bad if that's what you want to be around, you know? It helps.

B

4. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    #4 HotShoe, Feb 11, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
    I was very skeptical about crossfit but I tried it this past August and I am now totally hooked. I mean completely obsessed! I go four days a week and would go seven if I could.

If you find a good location they will make sure you complete a foundation and then scale the workouts to your ability. My box has a range of athletes from ripped triathletes who can do "Fran" like its nothing and heavy beginners who can barely do one pull-up if at all.

CrossFit WOD: Fran - Men's Fitness

I've found that it attracts people who really like to test their personal limits. The group environment is great but if you aren't the type of person who really strives for that extra rep or that faster time I'm not sure it's for you.

That said, if you show upland push you will drop fat in no time flat. I was in good shape when I started but the crossfit program really took me to the next level. At 170 I'm not the biggest, strongest guy but I can hold my own. Since my start date I've PR'ed my Fran to 8:55 and all my lifts are up. I just did 325 for my dead lift and 185 for my push press. Not bad for a 42 year old fart! The problem is the good people easily do it in 4-5 minutes!!!! The pull-ups are the key to a fast time.

Injuries aren't normal if you use common sense. You have to know your limits when it comes to the weight moves but a good box will stress mobility and make sure you don't try to snatch 300 pounds. Some boxes tend to lean more towards heavy lifting so check a few out.

Give it a shot but be warned. You might become that guy that wants to workout all the time and incessantly run into Crossfit "speak". If you're married you might also have to learn to fend off more women! ;)

5. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    There is one local to me that I just looked at. I think I'll do it once I lose some more weight. Right now I don't think I could do any exercises that have to do with lifting my own weight. But it does look fun.

GT

6. Call Me Daddy

Call Me Daddy Karting

Jan 11, 2009
    Seal Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I do crossfit and I am totally addicted. I go 4-5 days a week and have been making steady progress since say 1. My trainer is awesome and the guys in my usual class are great. They help me with form and technique and push me to work hard every day.

I walked in to crossfit after sitting on the couch for many years. I too was going to try and "get in shape" before I started, but it never happened. I jumped in the deep end and did scaled workouts for a long time. Now about 7 months later, I RX most WOD's and continue to PR. the beauty of crossfit is that everyone can do the same workout. Either by using less weight, or by doing assisted pullups using a rubber band, or by doing fewer rounds, everyone can compete.

My advice is to try it out. Most boxes will give you a free tryout so you can come in and get a taste for the culture and the workout styles. Something about that first workout either clicks something in your head that says "these fools are crazy," or "I would love to be able to do that. It looks pretty hard." for me it was the latter. I lost 25lbs in the first few months and my body looks totally different now.

7. BubblesQuah

BubblesQuah F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte
    Thanks a lot for the replies!

Exactly what I wanted to hear. After a lifetime of jumping into these sort of things and never actually sticking with it, this one looks like it might stick. Seems to fit my personality perfectly.

I'm going to check it out in the next week or so.

GTHill - actually, this is your fault. When you posted that thread about your new rowing machine, I was reading about that on their website and I clicked on the "find a machine near you" thing - the list of places that had them included a couple of "crossfit" places - and I had never heard of that - even though one was right down the street. So then I googled "crossfit", etc., etc.... :D

8. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    Well I hope it works out! :)

GT

9. CRG125

CRG125 F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    I just joined crossfit this week and did my first Fran yesterday, did it in 9:00. I am in pretty good shape and done similar workouts to crossfit, but never have done crossfit. I think crossfit is a great workout and if done correctly you wont worry about any injuries. Actually I think the opposite as it may prevent certain injuries as you start developing muscles that have never been used before.

10. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003
    If you can handle the workouts then by all means have at it. I attended one for a time and learned a lot that I use to this day. Pretty much I took away how important it is to maintain high intensity.

However, I did end up injured and left. My back just can't handle the repeated high intensity Olympic lifts.

Be honest with yourself about what you can handle. I was in killer shape when I got there as well. On the first day I was able to do more pull ups and push ups than the best guys on the board.

Crossfit is great fun and great for you. Get a few private hours of lessons to learn the lifts. Form will mean everything when you are tired.

11. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    i'm off and on at a local crossfit gym near my office. some are great workouts, other movements I just dont feel that comfortable doing. I also missed doing more core lifts and body sculpting on areas I felt needed catching up so went back to traditional lifting but I will probably start up crossfit again in the summer for a change. the workouts are definitely intense.

12. GG

GG Formula 3

Feb 21, 2008
    Used to do it and loved it, but ultimately ended up injuring my shoulder and never returning. These days, I combine what I learned in Crossfit with my regular training. Best of both worlds.

I also think it's absurd that regular gyms cost around $50/month and Crossfit gyms are pushing $200.

13. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Crossfit works if you go regularly. Best group exercise out there. Price SuKs! but then again how much is results worth to you.

It has its pros/cons . Without a doubt if you want to see results you cant beat it ...

14. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    How much are they charging around there?

It's only @$100 a month here. There is a lot of competition so maybe it keeps our local prices down.

15. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    #15 DonJuan348, Feb 22, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
    $175-200 here without commitment . My brother lives in Pompano and its $100-150 in his area . Everything is expensive here

16. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Ouch! I also go to one in Pompano Beach and it's $100 a month, no commitment. I guess south Florida is good for at least one thing!

17. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    My brother goes to the one in Deerfield beach. I wish it was $100 here . Lately, I've been doing it at home following Outlaw's program.

18. Vinny Bourne

Vinny Bourne Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2011
    absurd, the last gym I paid to go to was $15 with the best equipment and 24 hr access

19. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003
    The possibility of lower back injury is quite real. I saw my sports medicine doc the other day and she and I were chatting. She mentioned people from Crossfit gyms as an increasing source of patients.

Just food for thought. Do what you want.

20. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Crossfit gyms are way too expensive. I'd consider it if they were around $30/month.

21. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    This is exactly what I was going to say. I have to touch base with a friend of mine who's fiancee mentioned the exact same thing. My friend is pretty consistent at the gym but refuses to do crossfit because of the amount of patients his fiancee attends too.

Be warned that pushing yourself is not a bad thing but it can easily go to far in crossfit training and you won't even notice until you've injured yourself.

22. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    I would say that not all Crossfits are the same. Some focus more on chippers and lots of heavy lifting such as overhead squats and snatches. Not all of them follow the same exact program.

A dose of common sense and staying within your limits goes a long way. I've seen plenty of people at my time at LA Fitness got hurt or who were in over their heads. Anytime you get people who think they are in shape and push beyond their abilities you'll get injuries whether its at Crossfit or the local Y.

The whole injury buzz made me take a long hard look at Crossfit before I joined. I did my research, checked several local boxes and haven't regretted my decision. I love to really train hard but at 42 injury is always in the back of my mind so I make sure to remind myself I'm not 20 before I try to extend my reach beyond my capabilities.

I've been there since July of 2012 and have seen ZERO injuries at my box. While at LA Fitness I saw at least half a dozen. Running, I know lots of people who developed bad knees. Beach volleyball, lots of torn rotator cuffs. Shifter karting, uugh you don't even want to know! Then again sitting on the couch eating pork rinds isn't good for you either so pick your poison. ;)

YMMV.

23. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Getting hurt at crossfit is about the gym/box. The ones that concentrate on the games are where you find the most injuries .

They treat it as a sport and there are injuries in sports. The box I go to is about form over moving weight.

Plus another thing I discovered is many of the coaches are not properly qualified. They have the crossfit certification but have not been trained to be a trainer. There is a difference .

Crossfit has its pros/ cons but it about the best group training you can get at this time.

24. TG

TG F1 Veteran

Oct 26, 2004
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    #24 TG, Feb 24, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
    My sober friends have found it to be the best outlet / release, etc.

To me, Crossfit is essentially forced interval training. That's great if you won't do it otherwise...

25. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003

Now my question is whose bright idea was it to make those intervals snatches and other "complex" lifts?

As soon as I can find someone who can tell me why I should be doing 21 snatches in a row instead of using the much less prone to disaster sand bag I'll be all ears.

I'm not trying to stir the pot here I am curious about the theory behind this.