anybody need a 400i parts car? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

anybody need a 400i parts car?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by dstacy, Aug 4, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Scott,

I would like to wish you good luck with your new purchase! I hope there are not problems with the car besides the body damage.

Regards,

Art S.

2. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    I just bought Dave Stacy's 400i and drove it back home from Texas - although I wouldn't say we had it a "full song", the V12 is truly a wonderful sound.

It is great that you are taking on this restoration - good luck with it and take lots of photos for us.

Aidan

3. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Dang I wish I had seen this car for sale. I would have paid more than it went for just to get the engine for use in a RCR P4 replica! I think a 400 series engine converted to more modern ignition and fuel injection with velocity stacks and perhaps dry sump would be PERFECT for a P4 replica.

I wonder how difficult getting a bell housing made to mate it to a G50 transaxle would be?

Terry

4. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Terry,

I would expect that some custom work would be required but I doubt it would be too bad considering they hung a TH400 off the back.

Regards,

Art S.

5. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
  6. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002

Great point. A G50 may not work great... but a ZF could be adapted I bet.

Terry

7. ScottB

ScottB Rookie

Aug 30, 2005
    Chico, CA
    Full Name:
    Scott Buralli
    Thanks all for the kind words. Will go through it mechanically and if sound will put it on the platen to see if anything other than the top twisted....if need be can cut the top off and then check it on the platen again (some race cars I have restored have popped back into alignment after the injured part is removed) if the frame is badly tweaked then it may have to go for parts because unless you have the original jigs it will never drive right at speed.

Stay tuned for further developments...

But first...have two more work days to finish the Porsche race car...

Scott B.

8. IanA

IanA Rookie

Jun 28, 2006
    Congratulations!

Neat project and good luck.

9. ScottB

ScottB Rookie

Aug 30, 2005
    Chico, CA
    Full Name:
    Scott Buralli
    Talked with Tom Meade about his GT body for sale. It is just that a body. Turns out he is well known, and for about 50 years, in the custom car world for his one off hand made bodies on Ferrari frames. Rather like the custom coach builders used to do for Rolls Royce and such. Described the damage to the 400i and instantly he said make a convertible out of it... So if such an expert in the field makes such a recommendation, may be the way to go. Looking around the world on the internet it would appear this is a popular idea. Any thoughts from this group?

Scott B

10. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I'd think long and hard before undertaking a conversion. Do it wrong and you'll never be able to sell this car and waste a whole bunch of money. Let alone the laibility factor of converting a car. I hope you carry a blanket liability policy.
    If it were me, and I was serious about doing it, I'd get on a plane and go look at every converted 400 in the US.
    I wouldn't do it, but that is just me. The risk is too big for the reward.

11. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    #36 ArtS, Aug 19, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Scott,

There are a lot of convertible conversions out there already. Personally, based on the pictures in ebay, I'd fix it - much cheaper solution in my opinion. Although Tom Meade is a legend, I've heard mixed reviews about his cars. Remember, to do the conversion, you will have to rig up a top, make it somewhat leak proof, strengthen the chassis, etc. if the body has other issues, I'd junk the body, sell off anything not usable and make something like this:

Regards,

Art S.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    I've posted these pictures before and yes, that car started life as a 400i.

regards,

Art S.

13. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    Scott the other option is to buy a GRP Daytona sypder body and put it on the 400 frame.....it's been done a couple of times before, and as soon as I find another terminaly rusty but running 400 I'm making one a daily driver!

14. ScottB

ScottB Rookie

Aug 30, 2005
    Chico, CA
    Full Name:
    Scott Buralli
    Thank you every one for the suggestions and photos.

Picked the car up and have it home and have gone through an intial evaluation.

Mechanically the car is sound. The engine is perfect...and that sound...I ran it while it was in the trailer...better than an IMAX movie... The transmission is great and the remander of the mechanicals are fine. Suspension checks out to include the Koni self leveling system. Initially it looks as though the electrics all work. And...the car has the dual AC. It drives very nicely...hard to believe the car was in an accident...at least from behind the wheel.

The interior is all in very nice condition. Leather is soft, just needs a good cleaning. Carpets are excellent...once again just need a cleaning.

The TRX wheels are perfect, chromed, and the Michelin TRX tires are new.

Has a complete new exhaust, to include catalytic converters. Exhaust tests clean enough to easily pass CA smog. The car has the CA id sticker on the door jamb that is fed into the computer at test time...also makes re title easy. Just has to go through a brake and light check at the Highway Patrol then over to DMV for the title (have been through this process several times with projects, it really is fairly painless, just make the appointment ahead of time online).

The bad news is the top is toast...it is wrinkled and folded over...but the interesting thing is the pillars are aluminum and the top is steel...just a matter of cutting along that sean and putting on a new one. Have found a replacement on the east coast...just have to talk the guy into shipping it...would really rather not have to fly out just to box up parts...however, would not be the first time.

Will add photos as the project continues.

15. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Chromed? YUCK!

You've got a lot of guts and frankly I'm a bit jealous that I don't have the balls to undertake that project.

I'm really looking forward to watching your progress. Keep us up to date and let us know what we can do to help.

16. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    Excellent news on the car - did you find out how the accident happened? Maybe a tree fell on it?

Yesterday, I came across a few pages with lots of photos relating to a 400i restoration:

http://www.fugazi.co.uk/308/400i.htm

Cheers

Aidan

17. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I think it was a good buy. I only wish I had seen it first. Good luck on your project.

18. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    If anyone has a spare rear window, let me know.

The one on eBay I "won" several months ago turned out to be a scam. I've sworn off eBay as a result.

19. KraigG

KraigG Formula 3

May 25, 2006
    Willow Springs
    Full Name:
    Kraig
    Why do you have to go over the the CHP to get the brake lights checked? CA doesn't have that requirement, like some of the east coast states do. Buy yourself a AAA membership, they can do the paperwork and the VIN verification (if it has an out of state title) much easier and faster.

20. ScottB

ScottB Rookie

Aug 30, 2005
    Chico, CA
    Full Name:
    Scott Buralli
    The car was an insurance wirte off. In order to re title it as a Ferrari the California Highway Patrol has to do the brake and light inspection. This is outlined on the CA DMV web page. The good news is since there were less than 3000 cars sold in CA in any given year it can have a clean, not a slavage title, as a special interest vehicle. Did a lot of research on the legalities of this thing before putting down the cash. And...have been through this several times before in CA. I usually restore a car a year, in the past Porsche cars, and make enough money to support my racing habit. This has worked well for the last 35 years. Last year it supported a $40,000 year racing a Formula Atlantic car. Of course all the income is reported to the IRS, as this is a business/hobby....and you do not mess with the IRS...

So....will continue forward...

Anyone else out there have similar projects...or am I the only idiot with this passion (yes it is the Italiano wine talking...and talking)....

Scott B

Ferrari 400i
    Porsche 916 factory built race car
    Porsche 968
    Van Diemen FF
    Reynard FF
    and so on.....

21. KraigG

KraigG Formula 3

May 25, 2006
    Willow Springs
    Full Name:
    Kraig
    Scott:

Or, you send a couple of hundred bucks to International Title Service in Nevada, swear on a stack of bibles that it's not been stolen, and they issue you a clean Nevada title. A few bucks more, and you get a title with plates. Then transfer that over to a CA title, if you wish.

Much cleaner if you ever decide to sell it, after a complete rebuild history disclosure of course! :)

22. ckracing

ckracing Formula Junior

May 20, 2006
    Jacksonville,Florida
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Help, does any one have spare inside door release assemblies for a 400?

Thanks
    Charles

23. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    interior and exterior door release handles currently being auctioned on ebay !

brett

24. laperriere

laperriere Karting

Mar 10, 2006
    Montreal
    Brett is right, it is for sale on ebay uk.
    Exterior door is the same as the alfa romeo spider's one.
    Olivier

25. KraigG

KraigG Formula 3

May 25, 2006
    Willow Springs
    Full Name:
    Kraig
    I have an 84 Alfa Romeo Spider. Although they LOOK the same, I'm told they are NOT.
    For sure, the finish is different. Be careful before you buy!