Anybody ever refinish their rear deck lid louvers? | FerrariChat

Anybody ever refinish their rear deck lid louvers?

Discussion in '308/328' started by AZDoug, Jul 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    What did you have done, re anodize, paint?
    Doug

2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    This is my near future plan is to have mine reanodize.

3. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Removed the rear deck lid louvers on my 82. Kind of a PITA getting everything back in place but doable. Can you post a picture of the damage so we have a better idea of what’s needed?

4. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    I will post a pic in a bit.

I had conversation with a guy from Bob Smith coachworks in TX.
    he said re-anodizing is fraught with peril, or maybe he just doesn't want to get involved,

Said you must have the right aluminum frame (to hold the louver assy) for the process, if you screw up the stripping, you won't get a good nice replate, you can burn holes in the thin louvers if the acid conc isn't exactly right, time in bath isn't right, etc., etc.

He said he used some people in the Houston area with very mixed results, some good results, some throw it in the trash results and said there are no good choices.

If YOU know of anyplace that can do it, correctly, don't be shy about posting who it is.

The damage to my two louvers is at the very bottom of the louver next to the mesh, if worse comes to worse, the louvers can be taken off, the burrs they made carefully removed with a proper abrasive after straightening a small bend on one of the louvers,and touched up carefully with a very fine airbrush and matte black paint, you probably wouldn't see the repair unless you were looking for the repair.

But it still wouldn't be as original.

Thanks,
    Doug

5. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
  6. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    It’s a shame that it happened due someone’s carelessness but what’s done is done. From the picture I’d say that if it were me I’d touch it up with some satin black paint and forget about it. Every car out there has a little hidden flaw or two somewhere, no sense spending time chewing your nails over it. Not worth the anguish.

EastMemphis likes this.
  7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Agree, maybe get a Dremel in there to 'smooth" that damage and ghost in some paint..
    I would not ever paint the whole louver, but did not know anodozing had gotten so hard.

8. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Thats what i did, extra fine machinist file after taping off the area around the damage to prevent further damage, smoothed it out, and a Q-tip dipped in a small bit of SEM Trim Black that was sprayed into the bottom of the cup. You can only see it if you look for it. .

Anodizing hasn't gotten hard, it seems to be the stripping of the old anodizing that is the issue.

Doug

waymar and 308 milano like this.