Any SUP'ers? | FerrariChat

Any SUP'ers?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by norcal2, Aug 22, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. norcal2

norcal2 F1 Veteran

Finally sold my kayak..found I didnt enjoy it as much as I used to, and it killed my back sitting and paddling. I rented a few paddle boards and really like SUP..easier on the back and is much better for your core. Any othe paddlers out there? I just bought a 14ft Amundson 14ft carbon board..got a good deal on last years board....

2. umsneeze

umsneeze Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I just bought an 11'6" Amundson about a month ago. We first tried it out in the Florida Keys, and decided to bring one back to the Tennessee River. Lots of fun, and a lot easier on the back. Stable enough for my 7 year old to ride with me too.

3. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Whats SUP ?

4. umsneeze

umsneeze Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Stand Up Paddle Board.

5. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    I rented one at Lake Tahoe a few years ago. Definitely challenging but I'd like to get better!

GT

6. Noel

Noel F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Did it today, good fun.

7. umsneeze

umsneeze Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    My wife and I took turns using our SUP and kayak this weekend. We have a slow kayak but it's stable enough for my 7 year old to climb from kayak to SUP without having to go for a swim.

8. norcal2

norcal2 F1 Veteran

I was out yesterday and will be out again on Wed..this narrower board tips a bit more then others i have used..great for balance!

9. coledoggy

coledoggy Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    ole miss
    Full Name:
    todd
    Fairly avid sup rider, have done a handful of races.

Just a great way to get out and connect with nature and use muscles in a fashion that you normally wouldn't.

I espically enjoy it when the water is calm in destin, fl on the gulf, you can see 30 feet straight down. My daughter and I go out, she's 8 and weighs about 55 lbs, and "dolphin hunt". Literally some of my best memories as a father.

10. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    #10 JG333SP, Sep 14, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
    Funny, I live across the street from the Atlantic but this is not a big area for surfing. I never go out but I did a few days ago. My kids are getting into surfing and they use some of my old boards from high school. They can catch anything on these old little boards b/c they weigh 1/4 of what I do-I have to wait for a tsunami! My buddy shows up on a sup and catches everything! Now I get it-Getting one of these is def on my list for next summer

11. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    What you did there . . . ;)

Aside from back / How is SUP on other skeletal & ligaments & muscles & tendons & joints & . . .

via rubber ducky

12. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
  13. coledoggy

coledoggy Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    ole miss
    Full Name:
    todd
    #13 coledoggy, Sep 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My 8 yr old daughters first race today, she got a little overwhelmed, but looking back on it she's glad she did it. Will only get better.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. umsneeze

umsneeze Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    What size board is your 8 year old on? I think I'd like to get one for my 7 year old. She doesn't mind riding in the kayak or board but think she'd like to be a more active participant.

As far as joints, knees....as long as you don't hurt yourself carrying it around to the water I think it's pretty low impact.

15. coledoggy

coledoggy Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    ole miss
    Full Name:
    todd
    She really doesn't have a board that truly "fits" her, these damn things are crazy expensive. We got her a smaller board that she can grow into, but not so big that she can't handle it.

As far as low impact, it is want you make of it. Sure you can go out take it easy on a lake and never break a sweat, or you can dig in and be dead tired in 20 minutes.

Your feet will have the hardest adjustment, it can be very tiring on them.