Any Singapore Ferrari owners? | Page 3929 | FerrariChat

Any Singapore Ferrari owners?

Discussion in 'Asia' started by DouglasNg, Jun 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Should we end it?

1. Lung will Break

2. MP will Break

3. The Singapore Thread will Break...END IT!

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. 3604u

3604u F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2004
    london/singapore/JKT
    Full Name:
    D
    #98201 3604u, Mar 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. 3604u

3604u F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2004
    london/singapore/JKT
    Full Name:
    D
    Bloomberg | Getty Images
    Lee Kuan Yew, the first prime minister of Singapore who governed the nation for three decades between 1959 and 1990, died on Monday at a local hospital at age 91, according to a statement from the prime minister's office.

Addressing the nation on Monday, Singapore's current leader, Lee Hsien Loong, said he was "grieved beyond words" at the death of the man often called Singapore's founder.

The government has declared a period of national mourning until Lee's funeral on Sunday. His family will hold a private wake in the next two days, then his body will lie in state at parliament from Wednesday to Saturday.

Visionary, tenacious and uncompromising, Cambridge-educated lawyer Lee Kuan Yew was recently hospitalized for severe pneumonia. According to observers, he will be remembered for many things, but most of all as the patriarch of modern Singapore who oversaw the transformation of a sleepy port city into a thriving global metropolis within a single generation.

Read MoreLee's most memorable quotes

His passing comes just a few months before Singapore's 50th anniversary of independence in August.

Even as he made way for successors Goh Chok Tong and current prime minister and son Lee Hsien Loong, the elder Lee continued to wield influence on the nation's policies and direction in advisory roles for many years after leaving the prime minister's office.
    He held Cabinet positions as senior minister and later minister mentor before resigning from government altogether in 2011.
    His death marks the end of a chapter for People's Action Party (PAP)—the party he co-founded—which has governed the country continuously since 1959.

Condolences

Global leaders offered their condolences following Lee's passing.

In a White House statement U.S. President Barack Obama said "[Lee Kuan Yew] was a true giant of history who will be remembered for generations to come as the father of modern Singapore and as one of the great strategists of Asian affairs."

"Lee's views and insights on Asian dynamics and economic management were respected by many around the world, an no small number of this and past generations of world leaders have sought his advice on governance and development," Obama added.
    U.K. Prime Minister David Cameron also spoke on Lee's passing.

"Lee Kuan Yew personally shaped Singapore in a way that few people have any nation. He made his country into one of the great success stories of our modern world. That Singapore is today a prosperous, secure and successful country is a monument to his decades of remarkable public service," Cameron said.

"He was always a friend to Britain, if sometimes a critical one, and many British Prime Ministers benefited from his wise advice, including me," he added.

Australian Treasurer Joe Hockey took to Twitter to express his appreciation of Singapore's founding father:

3. 3604u

3604u F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2004
    london/singapore/JKT
    Full Name:
    D
  4. 3604u

3604u F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2004
    london/singapore/JKT
    Full Name:
    D
    #98204 3604u, Apr 11, 2015
  5. 3604u

3604u F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2004
    london/singapore/JKT
    Full Name:
    D
    #98205 3604u, Jun 24, 2015
  6. 3604u

3604u F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2004
    london/singapore/JKT
    Full Name:
    D
  7. hacknet

hacknet Rookie

Apr 7, 2012
    Hi Guys,

i'm new here, been eyeing a 348, was wondering if there was anything specific i should be looking out for.

I've picked up on a couple of common issues, the timing belt, water pumps, tensioner bearings and regular gaskets which can be purchased from Ricambi and probably the clutch & grease when it wears thin. I've also been alerted to leaking targas. Is there anything else I should be worried about that would break the bank to replace?

it is my first F and I am worried to be saddled with a enormous repair bill, any help would be greatly greatly appreciated.

cheers!

8. bikz

bikz Formula 3

Mar 2, 2012
    Malaysia

the 348 forum here has got everything covered from a-z
    another great resource is My Ferrari 348 which in fact in my opinion the wikipedia of 348s!
    i would say another issue to look into anything old and italian are the electrical/electronic components.....just simple stuff as connections/relays/fuses..just getting them cleaned makes wonders.....

9. hacknet

hacknet Rookie

Apr 7, 2012
    Hi bikz,

I've poured over the forum and my348, I'm actually surprised that I'm encountered quite a few issues that were pretty obscure and "undocumented" in either those mediums. I've also poured over old records to find that there are only really 5 pieces left in Singapore. I was hoping to learn of any history since 2 of the 3 targas are currently for sale.

10. cmnho

cmnho Karting

Jan 4, 2006
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    CM
    Check the suspension as well. This is a 20+ year old car and a lot of the suspension parts are likely to have worn out unless they have been recently replaced. For technical issues arising in connection with the acquiring of a 348, you will probably be better served posing these questions at the 348/355 specific thread on Ferrarichat. However, if you have any Singapore specific queries, this is the place to be.

11. bikz

bikz Formula 3

Mar 2, 2012
    Malaysia
    what are those undocumented issues you have faced so far? maybe just start a new thread on the 348 forum? if you do, please post a link here...cheers.
    ps: what's the mileage on your car?

12. hacknet

hacknet Rookie

Apr 7, 2012
    #98212 hacknet, Jul 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
    I haven't bought a car yet, i've test driven one and viewed the other one.

I've noticed oil overflow on a pair of aluminum tins strapped onto the firewall. these tins look like power steering pump reservoirs on my old merc. I've looked around the net in a hope to identify what oil these tins hold but with little success.

I've also experienced some battery trouble mid trip.

the mileage of the cars are mid 30's and mid 40's. I read that they are easily tampered with and one of the cars speedo has been faulty. So i guess, no one really knows the true mileage.

Oh yes, i'm asking on the singapore forum because I was hoping that someone here had some experience with owning the 348 locally, that would be able to help me, or point me to the right direction with identifying issues before put the dole down. I know I shouldn't be too worried, but after finding out that Ben charges $15k for a "major serving" (belt, pump, gaskets), i'm alittle worried that keeping it on the road is going to munch through much more than i expect.

13. cmnho

cmnho Karting

Jan 4, 2006
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    CM
    I just acquired one earlier part of this year. I have spent more than 30k on the car since and the 30k does not even include the major service you mentioned. Having said that, some of the money was spent on what some people will say are not necessities - e.g. adding a power steering kit (absolutely essential in my view), changing the dampers and bushings all round, replacing the rear lights (certain plastic parts had warped), re-mapping the ECU, sprucing up the interior, repainting the car, replacing all the tyres, and a general service just to make sure that the car drives well. Car now drives great.

14. bikz

bikz Formula 3

Mar 2, 2012
    Malaysia
    with the excellent exchange rate (well even if it wasn't this good for you guys) that's a ridiculous amount of money for a full major....just send it to NI in kl....they get the job done, some might say they aren't the best but i think they're alright and they cost very very much less than whoever Ben is charges!....

15. SFchallenge

SFchallenge F1 World Champ

Jun 28, 2004
    Sgp, KL, HK & London
    Full Name:
    Jon Wijaya
    Hacknet. I had an old 348GTB as my first Ferrari when it was 15yrs old? This is a rubbish car, keep away from it at all costs. There are only two which I would consider when there's no other Ferraris to buy & that's if I still want the badge: The only spider left & a '92 orig. yellow GTS which is possibly blue now. The late cars have the battery shifted to the front, improved chassis & are better built overall.

One of the GTS had a shoddy re-welded A-arm up front after an accident but this is 10yrs ago & may have been replaced. Any Ferrari is a luxury and luxury don't come cheap.

The problem is the value of the car is so low yet the maintenance can cost half the car if you're not careful so many owners cut corners to save money & cars suffer over the years.

The gearbox linkage is controlled by cables & they stretch over time then you'll experience rough shifting which eventually destroys the gearbox. Two persons are needed to do the adjustment.

355 uses rods but strangely 360 went back to cable & that's if you can find a manual 360.

The aircon condenser is in the console behind those cheap plastic buttons. When it goes, the factory unit was S$15K to replace but you can find local Jap conversion & the dash has to come off=messy job & there's a room temp sensor under the dash which helps to monitor the aircon temp, near the steering wheel. It can get damaged.

The MAF sensors are another bad teenage child to deal with. You need someone experienced to balance the twin banks. Leaks from window seals especially at the wing mirror areas & worse for GTS. They have a weird problem when it goes hot at the starter, it won't fire up due to some swollen stuff in there that jams the piston.

I can go on.

The only good things that I can remember is, the steering feel without the power steering is deliciously good & the sound that it makes.

Just buy a 355, which has it's problems but it's universally well loved or a 308/328 for the timeless looks. Testarossa is gaining respect now but it'll bite you in maintenance as well with 4 more cylinders & age.

In fact, if it's your first Ferrari. I would recommend a 430 & get a good copy.

16. SFchallenge

SFchallenge F1 World Champ

Jun 28, 2004
    Sgp, KL, HK & London
    Full Name:
    Jon Wijaya
    Hey Pillai,
    How's things going on for you? I saw a red 550 with Kok Ho, any idea on that?

My Diablo is with the agent in KL & after 6 months on a simple clutch job, the bill came to Rm60K then they told me one ECU is spoilt which is another Rm30K. Remember we did the Fraser drive? My car was driving fine & I sent it in the next day then somehow things start to fall apart....

By the time I collect the car with 6% GST, the service bill can buy one nice car in Malaysia!

I should've just shipped the car to UK for half the cost :mad:

17. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    It's a lot of money to spend on possibly Ferrari's worst car in decades.

18. cmnho

cmnho Karting

Jan 4, 2006
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    CM
    Do not just parrot what LDM has said about the car. He has his reasons for doing so. If you want to learn more about the car, the 348/355 section is the place to be.

19. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    To be honest haven't a clue what he said - friends of mine had them when they first came out and none of them were impressed - neither was I at the time.

20. hacknet

hacknet Rookie

Apr 7, 2012

Hi!

Thanks for the tip on the rewelded A arm, was told by someone to watch out for this piece but had no idea how to identify one from the other. I would actually much prefer a berlinetta compared to a targa because of the leaky roof but havent seen one for sale in a really long time. Any idea where your GTB is now? is it still in singapore? I heard someone offered Hong 250k for the spyder and he was still unwilling to let it go.

I've personally experienced issues with the starter, and I am seriously starting to get worried about maintaining the car. It would really kinda suck if it didn't start all the time, or stop in the middle of the road, especially after spending that kind of money on it.

yes, I would love a 430, if not for the astronomically larger initial outlay.

21. cmnho

cmnho Karting

Jan 4, 2006
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    CM
    Autobahn intends to keep the Spider as it's value has increased tremendously over the last couple of years. In fact, RHD 348s have seen their values increase significantly over the last year or so. There were very few GTB and GTS made - so beware if someone is trying to sell you one. Optically, pretty much any TB and TS can be made to look like a GTB or GTS. I understand there are only five (5) 348s left in Singapore. And you can't even import one into Singapore until it hits the age where it qualifies as a classic car. So that makes it very rare.

I wouldn't worry too much about the leaky roof of the targa. There are solutions for it. Mine works perfectly well now. No leaks at all.

For the starter issue, like many other issues with the 348, you will need to have the car looked over by someone experienced with the car like Ben. He will give you an indication as to what needs to be done to get it on the road and how much it will cost you. Personally, I would be more concerned with the suspension. And like any Ferraris, you need to set aside some monies for annual maintenance / occassional hiccups.

And unless you have super strong arms, consider the power steering kit. Without it, certain manouevres are almost impossible. It is speed sensitive, so you still have the great feel of the 348 steering once you are up to speed.

22. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Looking to meet some clients for dinner and they want to bring their Ferrari. Can be anywhere that has good food and safe parking.

23. cmnho

cmnho Karting

Jan 4, 2006
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    CM
    Try Naked Finn on Malan Road. Very good food and you can park directly in front of the restaurant.

24. bikz

bikz Formula 3

Mar 2, 2012
    Malaysia

heya jon....i would humbly disagree with you....i think the bad experience you had with your 348 back then was just bad luck....you probhad a pos of a car unloved by the first/ previous owners.....i have had the 348 now for 3 and the half years...have driven a few other F cars since and still love the 348 very very much...it's just so raw and fun to push to the limits.....i was in the market for a 355....was told these same kinda rubbish about the 348 and didn't even bother with it...one just happened to come along at a dealership i was viewing 2 355s....took it for a spin to tick the box that i have indeed tried a 348 and ended up falling in love....
    perhaps i was lucky and got a good example...of course, i have had my fair share of issues, nothing major...my previous threads and posts in the 348 forum would be a testament to that...but they're old cars...somethings will need changing or repairing..just wear and tear....but nothing remotely in the region of what you mentioned above mate.......you recommending the 355? you only need to hang around the 348/355 forum to learn otherwise.......just try stating there that the 348 is more of a troublesome car than the 355.....i bet even the 355 guys would have something to say otherwise!!!

25. bikz

bikz Formula 3

Mar 2, 2012
    Malaysia
    #98225 bikz, Jul 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
    sorry to hear that jon....i suppose they're all getting aged/have aged some better than others ;-) and things like this will happen....it's just a matter of when...the ecus, electronics etc will fail sooner or later, especially with our tropical weather....back then cars weren't tropicalised....so its not a question of if...it's a question of when they'll fail....it's just the process of owning them....but for that exorbitant amount of dough, i suppose you should have shipped it to somewhere else....

about the 550, it's owned by a fellow fchatter from ipoh....it's in mint condition (the lower part of the doors inside still has the plastic wrap from the showroom)...however he has since paid a deposit back on the car the following week i think kokho took it in.....he says it's prob the biggest mistake he has done (he got a GTR as a replacement) so he wants it back.....