Any runners here? | FerrariChat

Any runners here?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by bounty, Jul 28, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I'm running a half marathon on August 10th. I was running up to 10 miles twice a week up until a week ago. I had a friend in town and just couldn't find the time to go on my runs. I talked with someone last night and they told me that I shouldn't go anymore than 3-4 days without running, otherwise I'm really throwing myself off.

Now it's July 28th and my run is in 2 weeks. I just took off a week(not by choice). Am I going to be in big trouble come race day or was this person's statement not entirely accurate?

Thanks.

2. sdtradingguy

sdtradingguy Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    #2 sdtradingguy, Jul 28, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
    Bounty,
    Yes, this 1week off did hurt you. You begin to lose your conditioning within 48hr. But, if you have years of experience, you'll quickly gain it back (muscle memory).

Getting this close to the date, be careful of getting injured. I'd up the cardio to every day a 40min run. Running can be done daily. But, because you only have a few days left, you have to be careful of changing to much. I'd throw in a long run today and another in 5 days.

I'd focus on getting your cardio improved extra by doing the bike, swimming etc (non-impact cardio). This will allow you to get your Vo2 max improved without the extra risk of injury. You could even try to do non-impact cardio in the morning 40min and run 40min in the evening. This will help you out, and should prevent new injuries. The last 2-3 days take it easy, jog 40 min easy 3days left,30 min easy 2 days left and 20 min easy 1 day left. You start to lose cardio conditioning quickly so you don't want to "not run" for more then 24-48hr or you'll lose some.

For the 1/2 marathon, make sure you buy the best socks you can get. I'd get some "special" blister reduction socks.

I used to be a pretty top notch runner, so the above info comes from experience.

3. Lemke

Lemke F1 Rookie

Oct 27, 2004
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    This is perfect. Do what he said and you will be fine. Good luck in your race!

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    IMHO the core time you need to stay consistent and do good workouts is from 3 weeks before your race to 10 weeks before that. Amateurs often feel they are behind their training and will pick up their training the last 3 weeks before a race and go into it sore and tired. I learned in competitive swimming the benefit of "tapering" before a big race. If just a training race and not worried about performance then go ahead and train through the week before, for a little recovery and to perform a little better then don't do more than a 3-6 day taper, and for a full taper expecting maximum performance do a full 3 week taper. Anything more and you loose too much conditioning and that 1-2 week period is the "dead zone" where your body is starting to recover and you will actually perform worse as your body is confused. However, about the 3rd week of taper your body is recovered, you haven't lost hardly any of your conditioning, and you just feel supercharged and can perform beyond norm.

So what I'm saying is if you had a good training base and have been off for 2 weeks it might not be the end of the world if race is only in 2 weeks. Don't over train, but get some 4-6 mile runs in at easy pace and then do a few 3-4 mile runs with 1/2 to 1 mile intervals at race or a little faster than race pace. Although not working out hard in your taper period the key is proper diet, plenty of stretching, and some short distances at your race pace to ready your muscles. More important to do something daily, even if just a 1-2 mile run to loosen your muscles than doing a longer harder workout less often.

Ohh, the key to a half or even full marathon is negative split! Based on your 10 mile runs you should have a good idea what your goal pace is, go slower than your goal pace the first half!

Also, for future half training I would recommend instead of doing 2 x 10 mile runs a week that you do a 13 mile run once a week and then a 6-7 mile at faster pace or even intervals/hills.

5. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Great info. Thanks everyone. Does anyone know how much conditioning you lose per day? Ie. what percentage, or any quantitative measures like that?

6. sdtradingguy

sdtradingguy Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2007
    San Diego, CA

+1 with most of the info. But, since he's running it in 2 weeks, I tried to help him for that time frame. Another thing you can do to help in 2weeks, is to lose some bf%. By upping the cardio it will help also lose some extra fat. By having less bf%, you'll be lighter and it will help with your Vo2 max.

7. Lemke

Lemke F1 Rookie

Oct 27, 2004
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    I have no idea. It has to differ from person to person.

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    All I know is you lose it 5 times quicker than you gain it. :)

9. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Fantastic advice and information. A big thank you!

A little background. I have was running about a mile or two two to three times a week from last September to December. I stopped when the weather outside got too unbearable(I had no gym). I started my running up again in late May and a friend convinced me to start training for a half. I really have no idea what I'm doing but this girl runs twice a week and a longer run on the weekend and seems to do just fine in the races.

Fast forward to me. I built up fairly quickly and was suprised at how my body has held up and I hope it continues to go this way. So essentially this is my first race. My goal is not time, but simply to complete the race. Under 2 hours is what I am shooting for and I have absolutely no clue what time I will get.

I'm definitely going to follow all of your advice and at least try to fit in some shorter, slower paced runs each day to increase my cardio and shed some bf%. And then try to fit in one or two more long distance runs before my race.

And just as a side note. I'm having an absolute blast and nothing feels better than after a long run. It gives me time to think, relax, listen to music, and check out some great scenery(women) on the lake shore drive path here in Chicago. And to top it off I've lost a lot of weight and am slowly approaching a weight goal I never thought I would achieve. 200 pounds. I was 6'4" 242 pounds last September when I started runnning and am hovering right under 210.

I feel great!

10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    good for you, running is great and best feeling if you do it right. nothing like the runner's high on a long run and after you finish. don't do too much too quick and risk burnout or injury, but sounds like you have held up great.

most people start with a 5k or 10k, but after you do a half then all those others will be easy! :)

I've done half and full marathons and the half is the perfect distance. It is a good challenge that you work hard for, but doesn't beat your body like a full marathon does. There is a point in the marathon about 20 miles that even with great prep is just hard to get through and 80% of people that do marathons tear themselves up. They say a marathon is 3 times worse than a car wreck for most. It always took me a couple days before I could walk well and sometimes little things lingering for months. I've never had that problem with a half.

11. FrostyAK

FrostyAK Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2005
    Anchorage, AK
    I did my first half in June with no training as I'd injured myself a few weeks prior and couldn't really walk with a sharp pain in my lower back/right leg. Before the injury which was admittedly minor, I was running up to 20-30 miles a week. The week before the race I tried to run but had some screwed up issue where it felt like my feet were coming down flat, thus killing my shins. Somehow, it all came together by the day of the race and I managed a 2:07:19. Considering I had never ran competitively in my life, I was pretty happy with the time. I have another race coming up on the 17th.

Good luck with yours.

12. Nate Johnson

Nate Johnson Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2006
    USA
    I read Rob's advice to stretch and I would add that you should try to add a good 5-10 minute stretch after your run. Believe it or not it's almost better for your muscles to stretch after exercise than before it. In fact, you may lose some power if you stretch too much before a run/swim/ride.

13. whatsupofficer

whatsupofficer Formula Junior

May 25, 2007
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Carlos
    You have gotten good advice from some runners. As a marathon runner running my 21st this month, I can tell you that most people feel like they have undertrained for almost any race. Don't try to cram extra miles in your training right before the race. Most of your training time has already past you so stay well rested , do not gain unnecessary weight and plan your race instead. Since you said your goal is to finish, concentrate on making the race a good experience so you will want to race again. I would enter a 5k if you can before your race so that you can get the RACE experience. try out your race gear timimg chip etc. So that on race day you are familiar with the setup. Plan your race. go out slow and steady with a good pace or pace buddy /pace team and remember to hydrate and eat something throughout the two hours. With a good plan and a reasonable 1st goal and then a back up time goal say 2:12 you will have a good race. Don't worry you Will finish. Take all of it in and review it then plan a better race soon since you have built your base up. Running is a great outlet for stress if you need it and the benefits are great if you stay injury free. Since most of us won't win a marathon or a half have fun and challenge your self. I am training for my 2nd ultra this Nov The JFK 50 miler. Now that race people worry about not finishing. Good luck You got this .

14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    good point, I always try to jog a little or swim some before stretching.