Any philatalists on F Chat? | FerrariChat

Any philatalists on F Chat?

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by stevenwk, Aug 8, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Need some help with Russian stamp identification and values. Please pm me or let me know if you or someone you know has expertise in this area.

Thanks for the help.

Steve

2. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Stanley Gibbons in the UK has a series of catalogs that cover the world. Some libraries carry them so it is free to look up stamps.
    Also the stampauctionnetwork (google it) has many auction houses listing their auction sales. Look for Russia stamps in their auctions and you can look up prices realized. Some auction houses offer 'private treaty' with a set price for immediate purchase.
    Typically only older stamps have much value unless it is a modern stamp with an error.
    Putting a value on older stamps is something that philatelic dealers usually charge for as it is rather labour intensive. Dealers only pay a fraction of the catalog value. Of greater value are 'covers' where the old stamp is still glued to the envelope and tied to the envelope by the postmark. Then the value climbs and there can be more potential interest for a sale.
    Sometimes you do better putting the stamps in an auction run by a major auction house if they are valuable.
    Russia isn't my area but there are no doubt collectors of that region out there...
    CH

3. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks.

Will check out. There are some older imperforates, but very difficult to determine the year.

In total may be worth $500, but could be much more. Just need to have someone with knowledge assess.

I collect only US stamps and some of the British Colonies.....the Russian stamps I have no familiarity with at all.

Thanks for the reply.

4. Il Cavalieri

Il Cavalieri Karting

Jan 31, 2007
    Stamp value
    Any website available on internet?

5. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    This site lists many auctions and their results by country for the stamps and also old letters were the stamp has not been removed. >

http://stampauctionnetwork.com/auctions.cfm

Also ebay lists stamps for sale by country; search there to get an indication of the value. Also the condition (faults like thins or creases even heavy cancels and soiling, aging faded colors) all have an effect on the value of stamps.

Il Cavalieri likes this.