Any Mountain Bikers ? | FerrariChat

Any Mountain Bikers ?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Chicko, Sep 3, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chicko

Chicko Formula 3

Is there any other keen Mountain Bikers on here ? It's a sport i have been rediscovering over the last 4 or 5 years, after riding casually for fun in my teens.
    Is there any others on here that share my passion for riding too? I have found its the perfect sport for me, mixing fitness, adrenaline and skill. Its also great for getting away from things. I find the wilderness great for clearing the mind!

2. Noel

Noel F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

me! as much as i can in flat chicago.

3. tuonoR

tuonoR Formula Junior

Apr 22, 2006
    Just started again recently (mostly XC) after a multi-year hiatus.

Fortunately where I live now is ripe with great places to ride (Santa Monica mountains). Unfortunately, they are also prone to wildfires.

4. Eagle1

Eagle1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 13, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Mark Poulter
    I live in northern WI and the Kettle Moraine forest has the technical trails that are a blast to ride. Truth be told, I never could justify buying a rock shock until I started riding those trails...(they're very bumpy) But yea, what a great way to unwind ehh? I have a low end Raleigh M-40 that won't quit (had it for YEARS)

5. HobbsTC

HobbsTC Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2004
    Lakeland, FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Yep we have some great trails here in Florida, believe it or not. In fact where I'm at in Tallahassee, we had bikers come down to train during the Atlanta olympics.

6. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    I love it. Great trails in central Oregon.

7. GG

GG Formula 3

Feb 21, 2008
    Used to be big into cross-country. Vancouver/British Columbia is paradise for XC and downhill riders.

8. pyroguy

pyroguy Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 20, 2006
    Minnesota
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Except substitute Minnesota plains.

9. Chicko

Chicko Formula 3

10. nerd

nerd F1 Rookie

Oct 12, 2003
    Coronado, CA
    Full Name:
    RSK
    #10 nerd, Sep 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. Chicko

Chicko Formula 3

Sweet Ride, what exact model is it? Gary Fisher Superfly 29er ? How long have you been riding a 29er? I'm still to even experience a 29er, how do you find it, benefits ? drawbacks?

My current ride is a Cannondale Rize Carbon 3 - Euro Model - with a whole host of upgrades.

Here a few pics of me having some fun :)

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=6070279#poststop

12. nerd

nerd F1 Rookie

Oct 12, 2003
    Coronado, CA
    Full Name:
    RSK
    #12 nerd, Sep 5, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
    Yep, its a 2009 Gary Fisher Superfly 29er. FYI, they just released the 2010 with some sweet upgrades like carbon cranks. The 29er is new for me and I like it a lot! When the full suspension Superfly 100 starts shipping, I may add one to the fleet. The hard tail is super light and quick, but my old bones have been asking for a slightly cushier ride. ;) The best answer I can give you on the 29er is that everyone I know who has gone 29er swears they won't go back....myself included.

BTW, here is a very cool website for a time trial trail near my home. The fellow at the top of the list (no not me) is a good friend. http://helipadtt.blogspot.com/ Check out the video and maps...very cool stuff.

13. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    Nerd! You live in the Foothills? My aunt lives in Club West. I'm there most of the time :D

I live next to Papago, I want my mountain bike, but it's in Austin.

14. nerd

nerd F1 Rookie

Oct 12, 2003
    Coronado, CA
    Full Name:
    RSK
    Yep! jbdmd (red 360 spider) is also in the foothills. There is a black 348 spider around here too, but I don't know the owner.

15. 8-Ball

8-Ball Formula Junior

Sep 16, 2006
    Sussex
    Full Name:
    Adam
    #15 8-Ball, Sep 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. Chicko

Chicko Formula 3

Sweet Rides, I really fancy doing a build on a Santa - Blur LT Carbon frame.

If your ever up north of the boarder give me a shout!!

17. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    Nice, so far I've spotted a F40 on 32nd, and a purple Diablo (not sure if its a SE30) closer to 40th. Haven't spotted you :(

Sorry for the hijack, and nice pictures 8-Ball. I'm going to make a bike tripod and record my rides once I get my bike out here. I'm a noob still though :D

18. AustinMartin

AustinMartin F1 Veteran

Mar 1, 2008
    Los Angeles/Idaho
    I really give props to you guys, I went with a few friends last month. It was brutal, I ride freestyle BMX, and the lack of grip was astonishing. Almost rode off a few cliffs at 20+ mph, it takes balls!

19. nerd

nerd F1 Rookie

Oct 12, 2003
    Coronado, CA
    Full Name:
    RSK
    It all depends on your choice of trails. I'm not a banzai rider and certainly not a high-speed down hill fanatic. I do it to complement my hiking, running and endurance training. After a bad road racing crash 18 years ago, I realized the objective is fitness AND health. Breaking bones screws up the process for weeks. I'm happy being the fastest climber and the slowest descender! ;)

20. Chicko

Chicko Formula 3

Well this is one of the fantastic things about mountain biking as a sport, It has a form for everyone. From extreme fitness to extreme adrenalin and everything in between.

21. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I just bought a Wheeler 1800 at a garage sale for next to nothing and it seems to have some decent components on it. I don't know anything about biking but I think I may start to ride a bit. I bought it so I could ride around the neighborhood with the kids but I need a way to get some exercise. Are Wheeler's a decent bike?

22. nerd

nerd F1 Rookie

Oct 12, 2003
    Coronado, CA
    Full Name:
    RSK
    Mostly sold in Europe, so I've never actually seen one in the states. Taiwan manufacture like most bikes these days. Sorry, no help.

23. Chicko

Chicko Formula 3

A quick search brought up this.

http://www.bikepedia.com/QUICKBIKE/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=1998&Brand=Wheeler&Model=1800&Type=bike

Seems like it has a mass market mid 90's budget spec. Will be fine for giving u a taste of biking, and if u enjoy it, and want to take it further, u can later put your hand in your pocket and get an up-to-date modern style mtb bike.

24. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I've been riding and racing for years. Started out as a roadie-now nearly exclusive MTB.

Here are a few of my single speed rigs

Up first is a Titus 9'ner. Scandium frame, full rigid, King hubs, carbon fork,etc. Been riding this quite a bit down here in socal.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next is a pretty rare one-Colnago MTB, converted to a single speed, custom billet alloy cranks(US-made years ago), Campy track hub in front, SS eccentric rear hub, fluted steel tubing,has seen limited dirt use, mainly my coffee bike, though.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last up is my Independent Fabrication Ti SS. Purchased this one from the IF rep-it was the featured bike at IF's Interbike stand and was their first Ti SS frame. Rode this one in the Warrior Society Vision Quest(one of the toughest MTB races in the country) and it proudly displays the finisher feather sticker.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    All hard tails here: Have Trek 7000, GT Zaskar, Litespeed Pisgah, Scott Scale 20. I don't need no stinkin rear suspension long as I have legs.