Any L.A. Noire feedback yet? Bueller??? | FerrariChat

Any L.A. Noire feedback yet? Bueller???

Discussion in 'Technology' started by ricksb, May 20, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    I haven't taken the dive yet (too busy), but find the prospect of a video game modeled after a real 1940's Los Angeles (and 1940's crime cases like 'The Black Dahlia') and relying on advanced technology in a crime detective game (say that 5 times fast) quite intriguing. I've been waiting to see some banter in this forum, but surprisingly nobody's playing it.

Maybe I'll go out and get it and respond first. I hate to admit that I'm probably more intrigued about driving around Los Angeles prior to the over-stuffing of brick and mortar that characterizes it today.

2. YellowS2KVTEC

YellowS2KVTEC Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2009
    Colorado Springs
    Its great!

Really sweet game. Its awesome searching the crime scenes and working your way up. The open world is useless, its only there for the campaign and nothing else. Yes you can drive around and run around but not much else. That being said the world is awesome.

Id say its worth buying, but dont sit down and play the s*** out of it and get sick of it. Spread it out and itll be something special for a while :)

3. Tad Cody

Tad Cody Formula 3

Sep 9, 2006
    Over here!
    Full Name:
    Take a guess...
    I've picked this up as well. I'm kind of a Rockstar collector (I don't play other games), so it was inevitable that I had to see what they're up to (and what they've been wasting time on since GTA IV dropped).

It's an interesting style of gameplay, and the facial animations are stellar, but it's no GTA or RDR. Too much tedious activity between searching the crime scenes for that one clue you overlooked and interviews where you're supposed to be able to tell someone's lying by reading their facial clues... I'm pretty good at this in real life, but am having limited success in the game at judging deception.

I do look forward to what the next GTA (V) will be, given the new modeling, and thought that RDR's gameplay was better than IV, so a GTA with an RDR caliber storyline and L.A. Noire graphics... that's what I'm really waiting for!

BTW, I've cleared patrol and traffic and working homicide desk at this point, and though it started off slow, it's picked up a bit. I'll probably play it through then put it up on eBay, as I don't see it as having a high replayability to me.

Not bad, but not exactly my style of game... 6/10 playability, 9/10 graphics.

Cheers,
    Tad

4. Lemke

Lemke F1 Rookie

Oct 27, 2004
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    I've read mixed reviews for this game. Searching for clues is apparently tedious but the interrogations are really good.
    I may pick this one up in a few months when the price has dropped. Right now I don't have the time.

5. iceburns288

iceburns288 Formula 3

Jun 19, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles M.
    It's slow-paced, don't expect a GTA-style game. That said, one of my roommates has it and I just sit and watch him play, it's like watching a good movie. He said he doesn't just feel like he's playing a regular videogame, but more actually part of it. It looks like an awesome experience.

Expect it to be slow-paced, and a little tedious, and if you're ok with that, you're gonna have a great time playing it.

6. YellowS2KVTEC

YellowS2KVTEC Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2009
    Colorado Springs
    Its great and yes slow paced. When searching a crime scene or house you have to just look everywhere and find every clue.

Its realistic thats why I like it.

You just have to have the right mind set, and time :)

7. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Can I just mentioned that the game was developed by Team Bondi(that's bon-dye not bon-di like some american reviews are saying lol) with Rockstar input.

The funniest so far is idiots who claimed their ps3/xbox was overheating because of the game.

I read previews before it came out that it wasn't as sandboxy as Gta which is the reason I didn't get it on day release. All my friends that have played it loved it. I'll prob get this when it's cheaper.

8. iceburns288

iceburns288 Formula 3

Jun 19, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles M.
    Why are they idiots? GTA IV did the exact same thing on its release, and I'm sure they use a similar system for loading the huge urban environments.

9. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    I picked it up but haven't spent a lot of time yet. It's not "sandboxy" as GTA, but you still can free-roam and do side missions. I think Bondi did a commendable job depicting the look and feel of a Los Angeles from another era. It doesn't feel like it's a "Leave it To Beaver" version of the late-40's/early-50's, that's for certain.

I'm looking forward to spending more time with the game. It's slower-paced due to the need to pay attention, but I think it's an outstanding effort.

10. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I just got it today and so far I really like it. It's definitely different from every other game basically. It's kind of hard to sit and play for hours on end because it has a never ending feeling. You spend an hour or so solving and case and immediately move on to the next. So after solving a couple cases in a sitting I go watch TV or do something else.

11. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    This happend to me while playing GT5. I also laughed at this when I read about the issue prior to the event. Just red light flashing and the ****box wouldn't turn on. Shipped it to Sony Europe for service, all data was deleted and they replaced so many parts that the sales guy said "you practically have a new machine now" - so I assume that there really was something cooked. No joke.

12. Tad Cody

Tad Cody Formula 3

Sep 9, 2006
    Over here!
    Full Name:
    Take a guess...
    There is some justifiable concern that the latest firmware update, 3.61 is overclocking or somehow running the PS3 harder, specifically the older models (like my launch 60GB) that is causing this latest spate of overheating and failure claims.

As to Noire specifically, I for one have hit a 'fatal' glitch in the game, where it freezes, replays the last cutscene, tells me to press "X" and then repeats the cutscene... over and over again. No matter how I try to return to a menu or alter the course, it's stuck, and my save file only reloads the error sequence again. And to be frank, I wasn't enjoying the game enough to start completely over.

I'm unimpressed, and will be either returning the game (if they'll take it) or flipping it on fleaBay.

FWIW, Rockstar actually shut down the section of their forum dedicated to support for the game after well over 900 posters flooded it in the first 48 hours with some not so nice sentiments relating to freezes, glitches, and YLOD/RLOD (bricked PS3s).

Disappointed in Rockstar... will they be able to redeem themselves with GTA V? I hope so... but apparently I may need to buy a newer PS3 to support its demands. :(

Cheers,
    Tad

13. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    One thing that bugs me is the saving. The only choice you have is auto-save and it only seems to save once or twice throughout a case and they are quite long, so you are almost forced to sit down and complete a case before you quit.

14. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Was this a firmware update for this game too?

The chance of coincidence is just so much higher with a game that selling millions of units on release over a game that isn't as popular.

You have to remember that firmware updates aren't games. They might of been packaged together on the disc but the actual game isn't what caused the issue.

It would be like jailbreaking an iphone then complain that Angry Birds bricked it when it it was the former that caused the issue.

The way software is programmed doesn't lend itself to cause damage to hardware(unless the software is upgrading firmware or changing jumper settings for hardware). Even if games do push the limits of the hardware to it's limits there is still plenty of buff built into the hardware.

Bad cooling systems or dust is also a cause to overcooked hardware. If the system is running hotter then usual when idle then when a game comes along to push it it will break it but it wasn't the actual game that broke the system it was the system not performing correctly to begin with.

On PC's where you can really push the limits of the hardware with over-clocking it still comes down to the user pushing the hardware beyond its capabilities. When you over-clock a PC you usually do long stability tests of 4+hrs to make sure the system is stable at those limits but if during those tests the PC locks up you know to step down the settings to make it stable.

If the game was really causing the damage then it would happen every time you put the game into the system. Even getting a new system would make it break every time but this hasn't been the case.

Well that would make sense but that really is Sony not doing proper Q&A/beta testing of the firmware or of course this could just be more backlash due to the downtime of PSN.

If a game really broke the console it would have to be 99% of the cases not 0.001%.

Anyway I came to post this review, might contain spoilers and swearing :eek:
    http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/3347-L-A-Noire

15. Latsyrc

Latsyrc F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2008
    Utah, USA
    Full Name:
    Travis
    I picked this up a couple days ago. Pretty good game so far, even if it really is kind of a continuation of my job. :D I'm really surprised at what the game thinks is relevant as a clue as opposed to what real life is like. I am actually really having fun with it, but like you guys said, you can only do 1 or 2 missions at a time.