Any KY Traffic lawyers? | FerrariChat

Any KY Traffic lawyers?

Discussion in 'North Central - USA (MI, IN, OH, KY, WV)' started by VAF84, May 18, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Just got back from a weekend recon trip in Kentucky. Rented a convertible from the Nashville airport on a nice day, and found myself pulled over for speeding an hour later outside of Hopkinsville, KY. Anyone know of a traffic lawyer around there? Not looking to go to trial, just a convo with the prosecutor for no contest, pay the fine, but avoid traffic school to keep it off my record.

2. rocket50

rocket50 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2004
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Rod
    If you made it from Nashville to Hopkinsville in an hour, you probably aren't getting out of that ticket.

VAF84 likes this.
  3. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

It didn't feel like it took me that long to get there; at least it didn't feel like an hour and a half. It was my first time in the area, so I'm having a hard time recalling distance/time. He did catch me at a fast clip, but was nice enough to cut it down quite a bit. Regardless, I'm okay with paying the price, just trying to dodge the defensive driving course, while also keeping the ticket off my record for insurance purposes.

Back in my younger days when I had tickets more consistently, I'd take the time to go to court and talk to the prosecutor, but the gaps have been wider now between citations, and I'm struggling to remember the technique/wording I'd learned. Easier to hire a traffic lawyer.

rocket50 likes this.
  4. rampante550

rampante550 Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2010
    NC
    Full Name:
    D Day
    do you still have the convertible? you may want to run and get the speedometer calibrated before you turn it in. not sure what the laws are in kentucky, and it can vary by district, but here's why:
    • i received a ticket in a rental last year - i had cruise set a few over, but was clocked at 17 over i think (well over what i had it set to)
    • i was annoyed, but figured such is life, and a lawyer would sort it out (i'm sure a lot of areas between cities have little sympathy for people speeding down their highways)
    • i called a few lawyers and each told me that without an odometer calibration, i was up the creek in that district
    • good news - each also told me it didn't have to be a massive number off, just a little and the d.a. almost always would rubber-stamp it
    • bad news - it had been a month since i had the car
    • long-story, short, i had an epic 10-day journey tracking the car down and getting it calibrated, but in the end, got it done, got it reduced with no school just like they said (happy to share story, but it's a little long)
    moral of the story - if you have the rental or can get the rental again easily, now, get it and get a calibration - give whatever attorney you choose something to work with in case they need it. and if they don't, i'm sure it'll still help.

5. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    how would you get a speedo calibrated on a rental when youre hundreds of miles away?
    also. how do you get a speedo calibrated?

6. rampante550

Jul 20, 2010
    NC
    Full Name:
    D Day
    You don't unless you're still there, have a friend who will help, or are heading back soon.

I could've lost my license for a month+ if I hadn't got the calibration, bc NC is in the "Driver License Compact" and they would have treated the ticket as if it occurred in NC where it would be considered reckless driving. Previously, my lawyers just asked for continuances until the cop didn't show up, then got a reduction. This was different and being in the rental car, out of state, and in a strict district made it a huge pita.

I'm just sharing my experience - mine wasn't exactly convenient either, but I got it done. I prefer the result 10x to the alternatives I was facing.

To get it calibrated, you find an instrument shop that can complete a speedometer calibration. I didn't watch them do mine, but I believe they initially hook it up to a computer for a standing test, then have another device they use while completing a road test. You then get a comparison of the speed displayed vs the actual, they notarize it, and you can use it in court.

I used Nichol's Speedometer & Instrument Repair in NC, and it looks like in Nashville there's a place called Arnold's Speedometer Repair, but he doesn't have a site.

7. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Great tip, thanks for the idea! Unfortunately, I'm way too far to pull that off, and it was just over a week ago. No doubt that car has already been rented out. I will however keep it in mind going forward, sounds like a neat loophole.

8. rampante550

Jul 20, 2010
    NC
    Full Name:
    D Day
    It's not a loophole, it was the only avenue to get the ticket reduced without it turning into reckless driving and there's parallels to your situation. Keep an eye out for mailers from law firms or call some up, so you can find out what reality is sooner than later. Just don't take for granted it'll be like other tickets like I did. Unless your amount over wouldn't qualify for reckless, in that case, nevermind :)

VAF84 likes this.
  9. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

As a follow up, I ended up using Jason E Holland out of Hopkinsville. Paid either $200 or $250 and basically got me off the citation as long as I don’t get another ticket for the rest of the year. Didn’t have to go to court or anything; just paid over the phone. I also didn’t have the pay the court fine. My only complaint is that I did everything with his assistant, but I would have liked to at least talk to him for a few minutes. Otherwise a very easy way to get out of the speeding ticket.