Any Honda dirt bike experts here? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Any Honda dirt bike experts here?

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by Subarubrat, Oct 17, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Subarubrat

Subarubrat Formula 3

Apr 1, 2009
    VA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #26 Subarubrat, Dec 8, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Just waiting on a few last parts to arrive and it will be ready to ride! As this has gotten closer to completion I keep thinking it would be a shame not to have one to ride harder and not be afraid to scuff the paint, so I am going to take a look at a 600R to buy for rougher use.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Subarubrat

Subarubrat Formula 3

Apr 1, 2009
    VA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    So I bought the Honda XR600R, It took me two days and a neighbour who is an A&P mechanic came over to assist (the result being a rocket scientist and an aircraft mechanic looking like a monkey ****ing a football) to get the damn thing kick started. The guy I bought it from started it in one kick from a cold garage. Once we got it started it idled great and the powerband is absurd, it feels like my Buell Lightning did before the supercharger. First order is to lower it a tad and lower the seat profile a bit so that it is easier to deal with.

3. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    #28 JV's89, Dec 14, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Mine has the same engine, it can be a real bear to start. I have it down to starting on the first or second kick 90% of the time but if it doesn't pop off you have to clear it out and start all over again. A bit of a workout.

5. Subarubrat

Subarubrat Formula 3

Apr 1, 2009
    VA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    As it turns out, it looks like the stator might be bad. My neighbor watched the spark while I kicked it and commented it looked weak, and the ohm readings were nothing close to what it should be so a new one is on order.

6. Subarubrat

Subarubrat Formula 3

Apr 1, 2009
    VA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    The damn 600 won't start, help...

DEC 10: BOUGHT FROM ORIGINAL OWNER, PULLED FROM 27F DEG GARAGE, KICKED 2X ON CHOKE AND STARTED, OFF CHOKE TO IDLE IN 2 MIN, RAN GREAT

DEC 10: AT MY HOUSE 3 HRS LATER, 4 HRS ATTEMPT TO KICKSTART NO START

DEC 11: 4 HRS ATTEMPT TO KICKSTART NO START

DEC 12: NEW GAS, 2 HRS ATTEMPT TO KICKSTART, NO START

DEC 14: OHMED OUT IGN SYSTEM, STATOR OUT OF SPECS, PULLED AND FOUND TO BE UPGRADED AND VALUES WERE PROPER FOR THAT STATOR

DEC 17: PULLED OLD PLUG, NEW PLUG INSTALLED & GAPPED PER SPEC, SPARK OBSERVED, NO START 2 HRS KICKSTART ATTEMPT

DEC 18: PULLED CARB BOWL, INSPECTED JETS AND THEY WERE STERILE, FLOAT WORKED GREAT, REASSEMBLED WITH NEW FUEL HOSE AND FILTER, 3 HRS ATTEMPT TO START, NO START

DEC 19: GOT IT STARTED WITH TWO PEOPLE, ONE KICKSTARTING AND ONE TWISTING THROTTLE ABOUT 1/4 INCH, RAN LIKE A BEAST FOR 30 MIN, COULD NOT START AFTER STOPPING

DEC 20: 2 HRS ATTEMPT TO KICKSTART, PULLED CARB AND REBUILT IT, 2~3 HRS KICKSTART ATTEMPT, NO START. NO SURPISES IN CARB DURING REBUILD

DEC 29: INSTALLED NEW CDI MODULE, 2 HRS KICKSTARTING ATTEMPT, PULLED GUN ON BIKE

7. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Well they are a beast to start. Only thing I can say is what I do exactly to start mine.

Wear boots.

Key on, choke on, push kickstart until on the compression stroke. Pull compression release on handlebar, bump kickstart slightly.

Kick it as hard as possible. Like, very hard. Do -not- touch the throttle at all. After it fires and stabilizes you can give it some throttle and open the choke as it warms up over the course of several minutes of riding.

If it doesn't fire doing the above on the second kick, I have to release choke, go wide open throttle, pull in compression release and kick it over several times to clear it out....

Then start above process again.

If you just try to kick it until it starts without doing the above you will just wear yourself out, in my experience. Same goes for giving it -any- throttle when trying to start. Mine 100% will not.

Can't emphasize enough how hard you have to jump on the kick starter. A few of my friends can't come close to starting my bike.

Have you checked valve adjustment?

8. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
  9. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Looks really clean! I think the 1750 ask is more than fair for one in that condition. If you could get it for 1500 or less you're doing really good.

10. NORTY

NORTY Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2008
    CARLSBAD, CA, USA,
    Full Name:
    NORTY
    That's what it cost new.