Any guesses on asking price? | FerrariChat

Any guesses on asking price?

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by Perfusion, Jan 4, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    There's a nice looking Dino at Silicon Valley Auto Group here in Los Gatos, CA... 78xxx miles, though, so I was wondering if anybody had any ideas on what this car *should* fetch? The Dino would normally be out of my price range, but the mileage on this one really does beg the question of whether I might be able to swing it...

Any input, thoughts, etc. is greatly appreciated!

www.siliconvalleyautogroup.com

2. EuroDino

EuroDino Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joseph Fischetti
  3. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Thanks very much for the link... I didn't even think about the NADA website - oops. The prices for Low, Average, & High retail (respectively) are

L: 43,700
    A: 60,700
    H: 93,500

It may be worth checking out... I guess it just depends on how much stock (or little, perhaps) the dealer puts in the high mileage.

4. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Is that considered high miles for a car of that age? It seems like late 60s-early 70s cars commonly have that sort of mileage.

My 365GT 2+2 has 74,000 miles and I don't consider that especially high. After all, for a car that is 30 years old, we're only talking about 2,500 miles per year.

My expectation on a car of that vintage or older is that mileage doesn't mean much, but condition and completeness mean everything.

5. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

US Spec, no chairs or flairs GTS. Engine detailed wrong. Crank windows. Can't tell about spare, or if it has one. Tires- are they xwx? Remember, to replace tires with xwx as original is about $2K. Looks to be a nice original steering wheel, dash looks good, but the radio isn't period correct.

Don't know if it has books or tools. If no books (especially the leather wallet)subtract at least $2K, no tools, take off another $3K, maybe a little more. (I've seen asking prices on complete tools of over $5K.) If it has a complete or fairly complete service history, add one or $2K.

Can't tell about engine condition from pictures, but I'm gonna assume all is ok with the motor. Same with tranny. Check it, probably be balky in 2nd when cold, but then ok on warm up. But, it's not cheap to fix. Also check 4th gear, which can also tend to go on these.

Obviously a PPI is in order, especially for a 30 year old car.

All things considered, before any deductions a good, clean US spec GTS should be about $80-90K.

I'd put this car in the very low 80's, if it has tools, books, and runs well. There's been some talk here about Dino prices going up lately, and they have, but they still aren't fetching $100K except for really great cars.

FML asking price has GTS in the high $80's. That's asking price.

Look for rust. In all the obvious places. Check rear of the wheel wells, leading door edges, sills, etc. If a good restoration was done, these will be fixed. Check all the plastic panels in the boot and trunk. They tend to be pretty ratty and should have been replaced during the restoration. Also check the vent windows. The frames that hold these into place tend to rust out. Pull up the rubber trim a bit and see what it looks like under there.

Finally, I can't tell if the smog stuff has been yanked off the car. That'll cost you to replace, or cost in points if you want to concours the car.

I'm sure I missed something.

DM.

Oh, there's a nice one for comparison at Algar. Asking $89K, which is a little high, but it's complete, with tools, books and history, needing carpet and a little cosmetic work, nice car, that's probably a very high $70's value. That car runs well, drives nice, is a good value car. My kids tried to talk me into buying it last night when we were peeking at it through the window.

6. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz

7. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Yep.

Highly unusual, but not a detriment, I don't think. After all, the power windows are a pain in the butt, work lousy, and are hard to fix. So, I wouldn't knock a whole lot off for that.

DM

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    $50K spread between low and high money....unreal!

I've NEVER understood the Dino market..(well, I do, but never have been "in it")....but when you see a nice one in person they are sure beautiful.......

But buying a fright pig could cost you that $50K spread and maybe a little more! LOL! I've watched a SLOW resto underway here, fueled by burning $100 bills.......

I've seen one in Autoweek in the mid 60's recently, IIRC.

I'd take the crank windows personally! Those old window lifts are a PITA! LOL!

9. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    What color and equipment is on the Algar car???

The little Dino at the FFQC took home a HUGE honkin' crystal trophy....for perseverance!!!!

She's probably still amazed at that! She had some troubles on the road......

10. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Tell em that you need to get a new freezer instead!

11. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

No can do. Paint job worked just fine!! Thanks anywho.

Chill out on the freezer already :)

12. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Well, I do have one for sale, reel cheep! :)

13. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr
    Yes, that was my wife Dana's Dino..... That car is maintained on a constant level more often than the F40 and she had a another minor issue that caused her to be on the trailer for a day...

We lost the belt on the water pump, a new belt I might add...

We first thought the harmonic dampner might be at issue, when the rubber fails they wobble throwing the belt. However we sent the dampner out and it was within spec. We believe the culpret was actually the water pump pulley being slightly out of alignment, we corrected that and it seems fine, but bad weather here prevents a long road test at the moment.

I love the Dino, drives great, nothing more beautiful for under a million!

14. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Not true...! Enzos are starting to sell for under 7 figures...! :D

15. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

#15 dm_n_stuff, Jan 5, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    LOL! You tell 'im Dave....

The Enzo was designed by some JAPANESE guy!

That's why it looks like a 'Transformer'!

17. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    Wonderful Dino at Hereitage Classics in West Hollywood here in LA. the pics don't do the car justice. Nice euro Daytona in thier inventory as well.

Don't know anything about the dealership though.

18. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    #18 Ira Schwartz, Jan 5, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I ran into the guy who bought my old GTS recently at Moroso, and he told me that he recently spent over $150K on a full restoration. That surely makes it the most expensive Dino going. By the way, when he bought it from me in '03 it was a nice, 24K original mile car (see attached).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That was my point.....they can really suck up some funds for such a small car.

Looks like it was nice when you sold it, but there are those that only a 'full resto' will do.............

20. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    Yes, it was a nice unrestored "patina" car, so I would've left it as it was, but this guy had a burning desire to have the best one anywhere, so . . . He's supposed to be bringing it to Cavallino, so I guess I'll see it then.

21. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    There ya go........'burning desire' burned that $150K right up!

He'll be ok as the Dino market breaks the $250K mark........:rolleyes:

22. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    "He'll be ok as the Dino market breaks the $250K mark........"
    Yeah, it'll have to reach very nearly that point for him to break even, but I don't think he much cares- he has a number of other Ferraris and seems pretty well-fixed.