Any gastroenterologists around? | FerrariChat

Any gastroenterologists around?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Ferrari0324, Aug 15, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari0324

Ferrari0324 F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    I had an upper endoscopy done today. I won't go into the details of what has been wrong w/ my stomach, but it's been a few years. They found a few things: a squamo- columnar junction at 45 cm, a small hiatal hernia 1-2 cm in length, notable streaking erythema and several small erosions on the gastric antrum, gastritis, NI duodenum, and he mentioned I have an infection but didn't give me the details. They took a few biopsies, which he didn't give me details on (or I don't rem. because i just woke up from the anesthesia). He has given me prilosec for the time. Anyway, what should I expect to be the next step? I know I won't hear from them about the biopsies for a week or two, but once I do, are there any other medicines that I should expect to be put on? Will the hernia cure itself? Any foods to avoid? Typical recovery time?

It all started about 4 years ago, move in day at college soph. year. I was drinking a soda and I got the most intense burning/pain in my stomach that I had ever experienced (felt like a hole was burnt into my stomach). Since then, it's been screwed up.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

2. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Can't help you out medically, but I have some questions. Are there foods/drinks that bother you to this day? What is your diet like? Do you have a work out regimine?

I know my dad had a hernia before and it cleared with time, but he had to be very careful about lifting anything at all. He was pretty much told to bend over/down as little as possible.

With the problems you're having you may want to also have an entire endoscopy done (not sure what that's called). I was watching a medical show and a guy kept having severe problems and they kept doing just the upper. It wasn't until he switched doctors was the entire tract looked at, and his problem found. I believe he had a tear somewhere along the lining.

Good luck.

3. Ferrari0324

Ferrari0324 F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Can't really drink soda anymore, gives me really bad heartburn. Foods haven't seemed to bother me, i'll try to stay from spicy things. This hernia i believe is in my chest, where the esophogus meets the stomach, so I don't think it's in an area where i really bend much.

I think I had the entire one done, they checked all the way into my stomach; can you go any further, besides the large intestine?

4. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I really have no clue since I'm not a doctor. I just remembered that show.

I hope everything get's worked out. Sounds pretty serious.

5. Fpassion

Fpassion Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2005
    Not a Gastro person, wait till you get your results get a second opinion if you may....

As you probably know gastro related diseases are caused by stress, diet, alcoholic drinks-age-wear of the valve just before food enters your stomach. Proton pump inhibitors reduce the level of acid production and PPI blockers such as nexium, prevacid etc reduce their activity.

I would suggest smaller portions after you recover following this forumula 1/3 air 1/3 food 1/3 water 3 small meals and two protein shakes and one snack.

Good luck with your recovery.

6. Ferrari0324

Ferrari0324 F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Not sure if it matters, but i am 23 as well. Going to stop drinking iced tea for the time being and just stick to juice and water. Thanks for the well wishing.

7. Fpassion

Fpassion Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2005
    Did your physician ask if your swallowing air when you eat? This causes belly to protrude and gas. Try some over the counter stuff like gasx see if it helps your pretty young so recovery should be faster. Forgot to mention PPI prescription drugs increases the risk of bad bacteria because less acid but in your case get well first then get off anything prescription.

Avoid Ice

8. Ferrari0324

Ferrari0324 F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Correction, I wasn't given priolsec. I was given prevacid.

What does Ice do?

9. Fpassion

Fpassion Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2005
    They wear the enamel of your teeth, cause brain freezelol could have bacteria in it or feecle matter which could worsten your tummy.lol

Your internal temp is over 90 fern, putting something inside that cold could cause you to grow icecle:)

If your iron deficient you might be craving ice like some pregnant women its also a sympton of anemia... "Have not verified these source's but food for thought".

http://www.steadyhealth.com/Problems_due_to_excessive_eating_of_ice-t86463-0-asc-30.html

May cause problems on empty stomach, may cause greater output of acid etc...

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/gastro/mess

Probably other sources out there

10. Ferrari0324

Ferrari0324 F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Nah, normal blood iron.

11. Ferraribot

Ferraribot F1 Veteran

Do you have diverticulitis? My mom was hospitalized with it last night and apparently it's an intestinal infection and causes a lot of pain and bloating. I'm no doctor so that's just my understanding. I think she is supposed to avoid eating foods with seeds or high acid content.

12. Ferrari0324

Ferrari0324 F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    I haven't really had any pain, on occasion I will. But not like bending over dying. Again, i've been having symptoms for a few years since my soph. year of college, but finally went through w/ getting tested. It's strange, but if i eat something in the morning; i'll be a lot hungrier only a little while later than if I didn't eat something. And if i haven't really eaten (which is hard to do), it's as though my stomach gets air in it and burping is the only thing to relive the discomfort.

13. Fpassion

Fpassion Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2005
    #13 Fpassion, Aug 16, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
    Fast metabolism and frequent small means will cause you to to get hungry every 4 hours. Worms living there can also they live of the nutrients which will cause you get hungry faster. Avoid refilling used plastic bottles of water the bacteria in your salivia can promote H. pylori bacteria which causes heart burn, did you take antibiotics for this yet ?

http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/hpylori/

14. Ferrari0324

Ferrari0324 F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Brandon

Waiting for biopsy results.