Any books of automotive short stories existant? | FerrariChat

Any books of automotive short stories existant?

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by bitzman, May 14, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I read where Ken Purdy, former Playboy auto editor, wrote 35 short stories but apparently never collected them into an anthology. Rich Taylor, ex Car & Driver, wrote one called The Ferrari in the Barn. I am asking my favorite used bookstore (Downtowne Books, Riverside, CA) to get that for me. And then there's a book called Sinister, that looks to be more toward sci-fi but still about cars, that I heard exists but on Amazon.com it's a daunting $30, ​

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I just gifted one I found, "Hot Rod Reader", or something like that...although more Cali oriented, had Batchelor, Roth and others in it...see if you can find that, sorry no more info.

Delightful collection....but I gave it to a friend.

3. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
  4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    pilotoCS likes this.
  5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That was an epic saga, entertained me for many evening after his passing, RIP Kirk F White.

How about "Brokks too Broad for Leaping" the collected columns of Denise McCluggage?
    I have it here damn now I want to find it...

Ordering my apartment Is my Virus task...

PaulK likes this.
  6. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Ken Purdy’s writings were in at least three books:
    Ken Purdy’s Book of Automobiles
    Kings of the Road
    Stirling Moss: All but my Life

He was the best auto journalist. LJK Setright was close.

Purdy died by suicide; I always wondered what lead to it.

Matt

7. tlema

tlema Rookie

Mar 1, 2020
    Full Name:
    Tracy lema
    Christine by Stephen King.

You will love the book!

8. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    But King's book was a novel. I did love the movie. Especially where the car repairs is own bodywork. I since placing my question dound that Rich Taylor, the ex-Car and Driver guy wrote an anthology called The Ferrari in the Barn. i'm going to try to find it on ebay. It has 18 stories. Taylor with his wife Jeane Constantine , now runs tours and rallies on the East coast. Anybody know his email by chance?

9. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    [email protected]

10. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Cannonball! by Brock Yates. Any of Tom Cotter's barnfind books: The Cobra in the Barn; The Hemi in the Barn.

11. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Stories of Road & Track by the editors of Road & Track

Where the Writer Meets the Road by Same Posey

This next one is a book with captions telling short stories -
    Una Vita per L'Automobile by Enzo Ferrari

12. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Kirk’s blog was to have been published in book form by Dalton Watson but i’m afraid that’s been skuppered by his death.

I reviewed Where the Writer Meets The Road for www.speedreaders.info a few years ago. Sam is a fine writer and a true polymath.

13. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I got a sample short story I could run nere, happens to be true though it's fictionalized, about a wealthy multi-Ferrari owner I knew named Filippo. It's about the time i totaled his BMW. I am hoping if I post it some other friends of his (he was based in Los Angeles and Italy) will add some other memories to flesh out the character; He has passed on, but the stories live on forever with his friends. Anybody want to read it?

14. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Got the Taylor book, still deciding whether to have several authors for this anthology, or just moi. Nearing completion..here's a cover mockup with a detail of my painting of a swb 250GT at a Pasadena meet. I chose this title because I always wanted to do a full wheel drift (but not in my own car) I am not counting the time I slid on ice into a curb on a GM test track, that's not intentional. Maybe I should have put the word FICTION over the title so people know it's not non-fiction. Still looking for a publisher, printer or someone who can refer this book to Maria Campbell, Netflix's lead scout....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login