Any airline pilots here taking an early out? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Any airline pilots here taking an early out?

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Ak Jim, Jul 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    An update. 1807 Delta pilots took the early out. I sent off my out processing paper work today. I’m done 1 September!

2. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I'm not sure how to feel about all this but if it works good for you then all the best. My old group at Boeing is scattered all over the countryside around here and working from home. Sorry to see because it happened to me 50 years ago but we couldn't work from home...couldn't work, period. Been there done that.

3. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Incidentally, the September issue of "Air & Space" magazine has a good article about female airline pilots in the U.S., and the politics explaining why there are so (relatively) few.

4. aseweepay

aseweepay Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2004
    Mid-West

Congrats, and enjoy the well earned retirement....

When people ask me what it’s like flying for the airlines, I tell ‘em “it’s a blessing and a curse...”

5. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Good article, BTW...

I knew Emily Howell Warner. She 'flew West' last month (was 80).

The first female scheduled airline pilot in the US, First female member of AOPA. Her uniform is in the Smithsonian.

She flew for the old (original) Frontier Airlines here in Denver in the 70's and 80's.... then People's, then Continental when Frontier went away... then UPS. Finally was an FAA flight examiner.

Surprised she was not mentioned in the article... she had a tough go....

Texas Forever likes this.
  6. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The wife of one of my former co-workers is a first officer for Alaska Airlines, although she's currently out on maternity leave. I sent her the info on the article, but haven't heard back as to whether she's read it yet.

7. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    I went at the mandatory 65 from AA after 28 years..5 at EAL before that and Military before that. I really miss the flying and the people but nothing else. I was International for all but two years at AA and I think that was a big part of the enjoyment. Spent most of the time in Central and South America and the Caribbean...(read NO WINTERS). Life was good.

Texas Forever and Ak Jim like this.
  8. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I saw that article, didn't read it closely. Regardless, it isn't politics that explains why there are so few female airline pilots. There aren't many female pilots, period, and that's the real issue. And the number of females, as a percentage of licensed pilots, has stayed fairly constant over many decades.

Interestingly, as a percentage of female pilots, there are more ATPs than for men. So that leads one to believe that of female pilots, a greater percentage of them are professional pilots than the percentage of male pilots who are professionals.

I want to add that I've flown with a number of great ladies, many of whom are now airline pilots.

Boomhauer likes this.
  9. renman95

renman95 Karting

Jul 16, 2016
    Oahu, leeward side
    Full Name:
    D8LF
    I'm done in 2 months, 4 days, 9 hours, 26 minutes...but who's counting. I said I would retire when I began "pushing on a string". I'm pushing. I can go another 3+ years but I'm excited about my next chapter and living in one time zone. It's been a great run,...12 years in the Navy's Men's Dept., aka Marines, flying A-6's & F/A-18D's and 25 years flying 727's & 777's for 'Purple'.

And then 2020 hit us in the face. Commuting has gotten much harder since covid. There are (still) no Asian airliners that come into HNL to use to commute out of HNL. Since February I've had to commute to Memphis to begin about 80% of my trips. For a while there, there were no domestic flights from the Mainland, my only seat off-island was on 'Purple', but heading East. Normally I deadhead to Asia and run around the Rim and save a few days for not having to go back to 'Mother'. But not this year, I've lost on average 5 days a month on commuting. As they say, I'm get too old for this...

And there's no more 'glamor' as a freight-dawg these days, lol. (Well, except for having a job and being busier than ever.) We go from one hotel-jail to another, one q-code-country to the next,...we can't leave the hotel or go to the gym in many instances. Right now I'm in Dubai, Terminal 3 Hotel and my only outlet is being allowed to walk the terminal. That's huge these days. In Singapore, my next layover, there's a guard at the end of the hotel hallway to ensure that we don't 'escape'. Yet, in Cologne and Maastricht the street cafes and pubs are wide open, no mask required. It's absolutely nuts to see how different each country deals with this spamdemic, but I digress....

...2 months, 4 days, 9 hours and 14 minutes. ;-)

Aloha

sigar, Boomhauer, Ak Jim and 9 others like this.
  10. renman95

renman95 Karting

Jul 16, 2016
    Oahu, leeward side
    Full Name:
    D8LF
    I'm done sports fans. I had my last flight on December 19. I thought about it for a while,...what do I want my last flight to be. I have the seniority so that's not gonna hinder my wish list. I thought about going to Germany one more time, Christmas markets and local suds. Nah, I heard in November that Europe was starting to shutdown. I know what I don't want to do, commute back home on an airliner wearing a mask. Nope. I didn't want to end up in my hub, Memphis, and jumpiest on company aircraft back home. Nope. It would be cool to land at my local airfield, set brake and drive home. And so that's what I did. I bid a short week of D/H-OAK-HNL-OAK-HNL-D/H. My last 777F leg was Oakland to Honolulu, landed on 04R at sunrise. Our ramp had water cannons set up, unfortunately, our flight was 30 minutes early. That's okay, we were met with a hefty shower as we left the airplane, lol.

sigar, Ak Jim, Thomas Magnum and 8 others like this.
  11. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Always good to hear from a pilot of a plane I worked on the design of, in this case the 777.

12. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    Cool..
    My last one was EZE-MIA..arrive 0430 but God Bless the Fire Dept. they were there with the cannons! Kind of bitter sweet though.

renman95 and BMW.SauberF1Team like this.
  13. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Me too.

14. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Congratulations! And I just moved up one more seniority number, lol. Enjoy your retirement.

renman95 likes this.