Any advice for Sweden? | FerrariChat

Any advice for Sweden?

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Challenge64, Mar 7, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Think I might take the family to Stockholm, Sweden. Anyone have any favorites?

2. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I absolutely love Stockholm!

In the winter, not so much, but in the summer truly one of the worlds great city's IMO.

Can't recall the name now, but there's a fabulous little 'boutique' hotel in the old town ('Gamla Stan') who's rooms are named after sea captains rather than numbered - great place with not just the obligatory sauna but a hole (full of *cold* water) into the rock underneath.

Another cool one is the hotel in/above the national stadium. Again, I'd need to Google the name, but I'm sure sure you can too!;)

Apart from wandering Gamla Stan be sure to check out the musuem that houses the old kings boat - Another I can't remember the name of, but it sank right in the harbor & sat there for a few hundred years till they dug it up....

Cheers,
    Ian

3. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
  4. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    We went in February and had an amazing time. Stayed at the Grand Hotel--great locations, very elegant, one of the best breakfast spreads I've ever experienced. I met the King of Sweden in the bar. Wild story. Went ice skating on the downtown rink. It has been awhile, but I am anxious to go back.

5. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    #5 tundraphile, Mar 10, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have been there five times for business, three of those since August. I strongly recommend going between May and August.

1. If taking a taxi, especially from the airport, be careful of the rates. For a country that controls so much of their economy, taxi rates only have to be posted on the car but that is it. Sneaky independents have been known to charge high rates on tourists. Or just use Taxi Stockholm which is probably the most common and popular.

2. You have four options to get to the central station from Arlanda: the aforementioned taxi, the Arlanda Express which is a non-stop high-speed (about $50 round trip IIRC), and the commuter train with stops, or direct train without stops. Commuter train has an additional 85kr charge to enter and exit the airport though.

3. Train tickets can be used for the time period purchased on any subway (tunnelbanen), commuter train, direct train, or bus. It really is an excellent system once you get used to it. 1 day, 3 day, or 7 days are your options.

4. Everyone under 60 should speak excellent English. Except the immigrants of course.

5. Gamla Stan is a neat place to visit, although hotels will be tiny. When I go I try to stay at the Hilton in Slussen, just a 5 minute walk from Gamla Stan. Good breakfast there and close to the train station and shopping.

5a. The restaurant at the Hilton is only OK. Had a couple of dinners there, never again.

5b. Next door to the Hilton is an excellent restaurant called the Blue Door, and within a few blocks are three or four other excellent restaurants.

6. Do not stay at Scandic Victoria Tower. While the building itself is really interesting and the breakfast is excellent, as well as the rooms being nice if a bit stark, the area stinks. Kista (pronounced Sheesta) is a business area of Stockholm and there is zero night life and they roll the sidewalks up about 7 pm.

7. Another really nice area just outside of Stockholm is a neat little town called Saltsjobaden, stayed at the Grand Hotel there once. It is a really peaceful 30 minute train ride from the Slussen hub on a unique train. A wealthy family built the train tracks and hotel using an unusual width of track for their own summer getaway about a century ago. Trains used are unique to it.

8. Get a chip credit card with pin if you do not have one. Virtually no need for cash.

9. Tostskagen is a fantastic shrimp appetizer, available pretty much everywhere. Have not been able to replicate it here.

10. Most things are very expensive. Dinner is probably twice what it is in the US apples to apples.

11. One option I have not done yet is to take a cruise from Stockholm to Helsinki. Great if you are into partying I am told.

These were from two weeks ago.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    ^^ +1 to all! Great advice. :)

+1

Do NOT take a taxi from the airport unless you want to really take it in the pants! The bus will get you there just as fast for a reasonable price. Then, as noted, Stockholm Taxi or the (very nice) subway to wherever you're going. [Taxi with luggage to the hotel, subway thereafter was my general rule of thumb.]

As also noted, pretty much everyone speaks English better than us (!), and are more than happy to help a tourist. [They all grew up watching "English language" TV, & learning that was easier than reading the sub-titles!]

Oh, man! Those bring back some memories.

Can't remember the name of that "weird" junction in one of your shots (kinda going into/out of Gamla Stan) but apparently they designed it to be "bi-directional" - They were driving on the left, but knew they wanted to switch "soon", so designed it to be easily "switchable" when they fell in line with the rest of Europe.....

Cheers,
    Ian

7. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    Last time I was in Stockholm was 2004, and consider the Vasa museum a must do.
    Should be going back this summer, very much looking forward to it.

Good tips, Tundra.

8. DrJan

DrJan Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2015
    Grand Cayman
    Full Name:
    Dr Jan P
    The Vasa museum, a trip to Vaxholm, a trip by boat to the Royal Residence, ( Drottningsholm Palats), , walk around in Gamla Stan, the museum Livrustkammaren.
    I do not know the age of your kids, but Kolmården djurpark (zoo) is great, then Skansen where you can see old houses from all around Sweden, handicrafts.

You can take a boat trip through the Archipelago.

National museet ( National Museum) is interesting if you want to educate yourself about the Swedish culture.

When to go? Between June and August, or just before X-mas.
    I know Stockholm quite well.

I am born there.

9. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    How about car stuff in Sweden/Stockholm? Museums, restaurants, etc..