Anti Stone Chip Package | FerrariChat

Anti Stone Chip Package

Discussion in '360/430' started by English Rebel, Oct 1, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    #1 English Rebel, Oct 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The attached is the official anti stone chip film package available from Ferrari. However my 1999 Modena only has the wheel arch and rear lower air intake outer edge protection. Did mine come from the factory like that and later cars did not but the package could be added by the dealer. By the way it says the films should be replaced every 18-24 months and looking at mine they need replacing. In fact the lower edge of the front wheel arches need the paint touching up as it has worn away.
    I'm going to get mine replaced with better film by Expel.
    Alan

Edit
    I see that it say available as full or partial package so I guess that answers my question.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    When I had my 360, the factory film was delivered in a tube and installed by the dealer. It was a mistake as the 3M aftermarket film at the time was a better quality, imo.

Depending on sun, amount / locations of roads, cleaning habits, etc, the film should last of more than 2 or 3 years. But the film adhesion can turn yellow over the years, while the film is in reasonable good shape. I found it is the adhesion that turns yellow, not specifically the film.

3. Moopz

Moopz F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 29, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Yes, on my M5 the whole 3M clear bra cracked and yellowed after 5 years. Had it reapplied and it had to be replaced again after another 5-6 years.

4. jpk

jpk Formula Junior

I put 3M on my Mustang Cobra and it has been on for almost 10 years, no yellowing. It was the newer generation 3M that didn't yellow. My 360 of similar vintage still had the original factory film on it and it was terribly yellowed. Just replaced the film on the 360 with Xpel and it looks great.

I don't think you need to replace the modern films unless they fail due to tearing or scuffing.

5. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    I agree. The newer 3M clear bra (Venturashield) looks great after years with no yellowing.

6. fc2

fc2 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Nov 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley Ca.
    Full Name:
    Frank C.
    I have both my cars basically half-covered in film (they're both spiders) and have no problems with yellowing or cracking.

The film on my Gallardo is nearly 5 years old and the 16M only a year old. Both were applied by Premier Protective here in Fremont Ca.

7. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    The factory film is in bad shape particularly on the wheel arches. I need to get some paint to touch up where it's worn off. Is the Ferrari color available in a spray can? Expel is guaranteed for ten years.
    Thanks
    Alan

8. ncjetskier

ncjetskier Formula 3

Jul 7, 2012
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Interesting thread. If my car has small (poorly touched up) rock chips already, would the film help hide them? Would there be possiblity of an air bubble forming?

9. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Chris
    I got prices for putting the Expel on the front end but decided that I didn't want to do that over touched up chips. When I got my 97 XK8 it had some chips but mainly bug etchings. I put on a film but was never happy.
    Alan

10. cm2

cm2 Formula 3

Sep 26, 2012
    SF Bay
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Hides some things, and highlights others. On mine, it hid well touched up chips and surface imperfections. It highlighted a few more poorly touched up chips. The material can itself have imperfections that you can nit pick if you are really particular (like me!) I am VERY happy having gone with Xpel, but the condition of the paint was very good underneath. It has protected the car well, and its easy to clean. The factory protection stuff isn't very good, it is highly visible, and sometimes hard to get off without pulling paint off under them.

11. roadking2000

roadking2000 Rookie

Aug 28, 2011
    Where do you purchase this product?