Another one for some of you chaps to lose sleep over | FerrariChat

Another one for some of you chaps to lose sleep over

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by PAUL. S, Oct 20, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PAUL. S

PAUL. S Karting
    BANNED

Feb 11, 2011
  2. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I wish there were more pics of the GTO as it really doesnt look bad at all!

3. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Whats even better is the guy drove the absolute crap out of the original car. Good for him.

4. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Those days are likely over?

At least he is upfront about his replica, that puts him above 99% of other replica owners.

Still think his 330, restored, would have been a better looking car than the expensive mongrel he has now.

Onno

5. -K1-

-K1- Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2008
    Northern Italy
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Here is a link to the article that appeared here in NZ.

http://www.classiccar.co.nz/articles/1962-kiwiana-rampante

I know one of the guys involved who reckoned it didn't drive that great so not sure how well they got the thing running. I am not sure why people go the route of ripping up an old car as there are reputable shops that can replicate the entire car including the engine so no old car dies to make a replica. Price is around GBP 550,000 which is not cheap but you pays your money......

6. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    #6 Enigma Racing, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Onno you really should move on I am beginning to think you are a little obsessive about misrepresentation.

I took my TDF, sorry competition 250GT coupe rebuilt as a berlinetta using many original parts, to the Army rehabilitation hospital at Headley Court yesterday to give the injured ex servicemen rides in the car. Foul weather but it gave me and others great pleasure and to me that is what it is all about.

Top marks to the Kiwi 330 owner. At least he used his car rather then polish and talk about it

Don't forget my lunch invitation !
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. michael platzer

michael platzer F1 Veteran

Nov 12, 2003
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Michael Platzer
  8. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    All he had to do was wash the original car and do a typical and simple suspension rebuild ...
    Pete

9. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
  10. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Can you tell us more about your car?

11. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Agree, but he could have just washed and serviced it. There is no justification for butchering this poor car that gave him so much.

Anyway, just a car ...
    Pete

12. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #12 El Wayne, Nov 4, 2012
    Shawn, the car is/was 250 PF Coupe 1069/GT. We've had an in-depth discussion in the past over the owner passing his car off as the real deal at the Mille Miglia and subsequently describing it on F-Chat as some sort of special competition 250 that was unfortunately given a PF Coupe body instead of the Berlinetta body that it deserved - or something like that.

To save you from the search, here's the owner's story:

13. michael platzer

michael platzer F1 Veteran

Nov 12, 2003
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Michael Platzer
  14. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    #14 Enigma Racing, Nov 6, 2012
    Dear Shawn

I am not a regular reader of FerrariChat but I am constantly amazed by the wealth of information on the site. I am equally amazed that your question on my car was answered within 36 minutes by El Wayne.

I may be becoming a little sensitive but as an owner of a "Recreation & Non-Period Rebody" I am more often portrayed by Ferrari Chatters a charlatan rather than an enthusiast. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion but I confess to being rather bored by Chatters repeatedly venting their spleen over cars and their owner under this sub section. Live and let live I say.

To add, I purchased my rebodied PF Coupe in 2006 in Italy, the details of which El Wayne has repeated. Since then I have been passionate about making it as authentic as possible and I do this not because I want to deceive but because it gives me a great deal of pleasure. I collect original tools, documentation and anything related to the Tour de France event to add to this enjoyment. I have other cars and motorbikes I enjoy but the tdf is my only replica and also my favourite. To me the tdf is the greatest and most beautiful Ferrari ever made and started the 250GT series that established Ferrari as the dominant team to beat. It would be wonderful to think that one day I will own an original, sadly and given that prices show no sign of abating, this is very unlikely.

I race the car in retrospective events all over Europe and drive not trailer. People are always surprised when I drive up, unload the boot and leave all the rubbish on the pit wall, race then pack up and drive home. The car is very reliable and always makes it home, a testament to why it was so successful.

I do not enter concours events as I dislike polishing and the car is not original.

I applied to the Mille Miglia giving details of s/n and stated that the body was built by Franco Ferrari and not Scaglietti. The entry form was processed by Ferrari Classiche and they accepted me. This may be surprising or a mistake on their behalf but they took my money and in return I went on the tour. I made no claim to originality during my TV interview and given that I had paid a lot of money to get to the start line, can you blame me. Ironically, Classiche contacted me after the event asking if I would like certification on my car. I pointed out it was rebodied and they told me they would be happy to oblige if I put the old body back on.

I have never claimed my car to be original and will always tell people it is rebodied if asked about the history. 99% of people who come up and look/sit/ride in the car have no interest in which particular model it is or which bits are re manufactured. They see it simply as an old racing car made by Ferrari. I am happy in the knowledge that I have such things as a ribbed competition gearbox and twin distributors but they are not.

Thank you for your interest and assuming you are not enquiring simply to give me a lecture on butchering PF coupes, I have attached some photographs taken at this years Festival of Speed ( the car has never looked so clean). I was running the hill with paying customers in aid of charity. As with every year, the organisers know the history but accepted it for what it is. A very beautiful car.

Kind regards

Kim

15. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    back when I was a lookee-lou (goes to the dealer to look at the car but is bereft of funds) on SN2207, a 400 Superamerica with rear skirts at Gary Boblleff's original shop near San Diego some 25-30 years ago.

I liked the car but it didn't look quite like I remembered the first Aerodynamicas (sp?) so I researched it a little and found that SN2207
    had three different bodies at three different times, one time a body with a means of blocking off the grille in cold weather .Barchetta.com says

2207SA 60/oct *** 5th ***
    400 Superamerica Aerodinamico PF Coupe, S1, LHD
    Superfast II, revised and became Superfast III and then Superfast IV
    Max Meyer 12435 white/black
    PF job no. 29403
    Engine tipo 163
    Chassis tipo 538
    no. interno 12SA
    2420mm wheelbase---------------------------------------------------------------

So it was basically a Pininfarina mule chassis and engine used to try out new body shapes. So whoever owns it now is faced with the challenge of having three different bodies built, and when he or she shows it at Pebble, they can have a drum roll every few hours and change the body to the later configuration.

By the way it was only $35,000 then. I could say I didn't buy it because Gary said "it rides like a truck" but the truth was no moola.