Another "new" 250 SWB in the making! | FerrariChat

Another "new" 250 SWB in the making!

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by 4rePhill, Jun 3, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Currently on ebay UK:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ferrari-SWB-project-includes-complete-250-GTE-doner-/130702689689?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item1e6e7cc599

I had noted the body being sold on ebay a few weeks ago and had rather hoped that it would end up being an artistic static display piece only.

Now it looks as if there could be yet another "new" 250 SWB created instead.

Given the condition of the donor car, what are peoples opinions on this?

Should the original 250 GTE body be restored and refitted?

If the body is beyond repair (and I'm not talking just beyond "economical repair"), should a replacement 250 GTE body be sourced from a previous re-body, to fit onto this chassis and running gear?

Or is it better to have the SWB body fitted to the chassis and have the car back on the road and running rather than being basically scrap?

If I had money (Millions), to spare, I'd probably go with either repairing the original 250 GTE body or sourcing another 250 GTE body and have the car restored and then have the SWB body placed on top of a modern Ferrari so you have the old car looks with modern car mechanicals!

(Damn you lottery!, the good I could do in the Ferrari World if only I had the Millions available!)

By the way, I have no affiliation with this sale whatsoever and have merely highlighted it out of general interest in all things Ferrari.

2. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Should be stored until can be repaired properly. I can see no point in installing a fake body that was removed from another car for a reason. The 80's are over and a 50 year old car deserves better.

3. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Ah yes, the well-known 1970's Alloy SWB. They were not replica's, of course.

Sigh.

Onno

4. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    The body is damaged and very tatty. There is no mention of how it came to be in this state. The engine looks like it may be very tired. Major work and expenditure ahead.

5. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    First picture looks to be of a real SWB taken at Classiche.

6. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Real SWB with fake body, that is?

7. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    It's a different SWB I was thinking of but I checked and it's definitely taken at Classiche.

8. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    Yes it is
    Car is a well known SWB. Ferrari insisted making a new correct body before it could recieve the certificate.

9. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Funny.

10. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    So you think they should have certified a comp replica?

11. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Wasn't it stated in the first ad/auction for just the body recently, that the body replaced a steel body on an original SWB? Of course Classiche couldn't certify a steel-bodied production car wearing an alloy body.

12. michael platzer

michael platzer F1 Veteran

Nov 12, 2003
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Michael Platzer
    Just like "2839GT". almost nothing original and proudly displayed at the Galleria Ferrari.

13. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    :)

welcome to the Ferrari World!

14. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    I think all you "in the right crowd" Ferrari purists should hire a hit man to go around killing the owners of all the replicas and burning the cars to the ground.

Maybe that would finally make some of you happy. But I doubt it. There would still be people without the means THINKING of owning the real thing. How you gonna stop that?

Terry

15. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    No just those who fail to mention exactly what these cars are and are not.