Another eBay scam?? | FerrariChat

Another eBay scam??

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by jhsalah, Jun 20, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jhsalah

jhsalah Formula 3

Apr 10, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Full Name:
    Jawad
    So yesterday I'm browsing eBay motors and come across a black 1969 365GT 2+2, claimed 68,600 miles, vin number 13039, never damaged, winter driven or smoked in, garaged 7 months per year etc... Seller located in New Jersey. Here's the kicker: Opening bid of $2,000, Buy it Now price of $6,800. Yes, that's six-thousand eight hundred. "Pre-approved bidders" only, so I instantly email the seller asking to get approved to bid. No reply. 20 minutes later, the listing has been pulled from eBay!! Anyone know anything about this? Was it a scam, or did the seller make a mistake or what?

I've emailed the seller again to see if I can get any more info... And if any of you out there know the car IS in fact legitimately for sale, I've got dibs!! ;-)

Cheers,
    J.

2. wheelhor

wheelhor Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2006
    Cheyenne, WY most of the year
    Full Name:
    Eric
    if it was pulled that quickly i would say that the seller made a mistake.... eitherway, some things are too good to be true ;)

E

3. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Most likely a case where a missing "0" means a lot!

John

4. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3
    That car in the ad was for sale on ebay just the day before.

A good scammer should wait at least 72 hours before posting the same pics at 10% of the original price.

5. cbreed

cbreed Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Jonestown, Tx
    Full Name:
    Charles
    The car is owned by a Lawyer in Montreal, it was for sale for $77,000 USD. It sold. His daughter in-law actually works for eBay.

as for selling a car on eBay, it should be used to match up buyers and sellers, the transcation rarely ever works out in the auction. The deal is done after the ebay listing goes away.

6. jhsalah

jhsalah Formula 3

Apr 10, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Full Name:
    Jawad
    Judging by your other post inquiring about running a car-fax on the same VIN number, I take it you were the buyer?

I don't think the fact that the seller's relative works for eBay makes it acceptable to put up such listings and pull them in such a manner (but perhaps that is not what you were suggesting).

7. yale

yale Formula Junior

May 2, 2004
    New York City
    The point is that it's a common scam and it always seems to be for the same amount of money using a ghost listing that was previously up on ebay. If a car is selling for some unbelievably low amount of money on the internet where the appropriate price can be easily researched it's a fake, duh. Yale

8. jhsalah

jhsalah Formula 3

Apr 10, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Full Name:
    Jawad
    Ummm... Really? Thanks. I would have never really figured that out otherwise.

9. Dave46

Dave46 Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2006
    Central Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Davison
    I contacted the seller asking to be able to see the car before bidding.
    This was a Red car, not a black one though. No offer to view the car but I did get his email back. As follows.

»¿
    Hi,
    Â
    Thank you for your interest and sorry for the delay.Before we go ahead,in case you are still interested, some words about the car: This is a beautifully 1965 Ferrari 330 GT 2+2 Series I, 4-Headlight , rust free.This car is like new and one of the best. Mechanically the car is awesome. It is in very nice condition both cosmetically and mechanically.The paint is in very good condition. The chrome is very good as well. The entire interior has been redone and looks like new. The Borrani’s are in great shape. This car runs and drives superbly and is ready to drive.It comes with clear title.
    See the attached file with the full description of the car.
    Â
    I had last year knee surgery.I am in United Kingdom now to make a second surgery because first was not good enough.My brother who works for DAS (Dependable Auto Shippers) will take care by the shipping.He will ship the car in the best manner.
    Â
    Price is $6800.00 (half of amount deposit prior to shipping,the other half must be paid after you receive and inspect the car) .The car will be shipped from Rochester,Ny on my expenses by DAS(the only shipping service recommended by ebay) .I will support the shipping costs and insurance,shipping will be door to door.The transaction will be closed only through eBay, in this way we will both be protected. 30 days money back guarantee .If this is the car you are looking for and if you agree with these conditions let me know and i will set up the transaction through eBay.
    Thank you
    Â
    PS:If you want to see more photos,let me know.

1965 Ferrari 330 GT 2+2 Series I, 4-Headlight.

I have gone over the car extensively and it is in very nice condition both
    cosmetically and mechanically.

Some of the work performed and parts that were either rebuilt or replaced are as
    follows:

Fuel filters
    Brake hoses
    Waterpump
    Front and rear pads
    Points, Condensors, & rotors
    Hand brake cable
    A/C hose
    Air Horns
    Door seals
    Thermostat
    Expansion valve
    Shock Bushings
    Brake booster hose
    Exhaust hangers
    Front Calipers
    Rear Calipers
    Brake Boosters
    Brake Master Cylinder
    Radiator
    Hood Pad
    Ignition Wires
    Head Gasket
    Valve Adjustment
    Fuel Pump
    Reverse Light Switch
    I have over thirty pictures of the car from just about every angle so you can
    have a good look. The paint is in very good condition. The chrome is very good
    as well. The entire interior has been redone and looks like new. The Borrani’s
    are in great shape.

It looks pretty well like a scam asking for someone to send the 3400 never to see it again.

10. jhsalah

jhsalah Formula 3

Apr 10, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Full Name:
    Jawad
    Ha ha... Yes. This sounds almost like the Nigerian who emails me (and a million other people around the globe) every month or so to tell me that he's got millions in a bank account he needs my help and money to access... It's funny, for such an old scam, it keeps making the rounds... I guess there really is a "sucker born every minute."

11. Dave46

Dave46 Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2006
    Central Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Davison
    I sure didn't get an answer when I said I would like to fly in and inspect the car and then buy it on the spot if it passed inspection.