Another Dino | FerrariChat

Another Dino

Discussion in '206/246' started by omgjon, Mar 7, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    #1 omgjon, Mar 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Steve Kouracos (Surface Master) called me last week and said he had another Dino to paint. I was happy for Steve because he loves Dino's and really puts his heart and soul into his paint jobs. And then he asked the dreaded question....Would I help him take it apart to get ready to take to his shop. Oh and by the way, will you help me put back together when I'm done. What could I say?? The Dino showed up and today we started. All the trim, lights, seals, glass and interior have to be removed. We got a good start and I figure 3 days to strip it down. We finished up today with the doors and glass, the job I dread the most. I've taken apart 3 Dino doors and every one has been a #%$*&!! I have yet to find an easy way. Back to it tomorrow. I know it's getting a color change but a final decision has not been made, same for the interior.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    I just noticed on the picture where the front hood is open that the bracket is on the passenger side...is that something that changed somewhere along the life of Dino's (because mine is on the driver side)?

BTW, hopefully he will paint it the same black(?)...love the black on tan color scheme on a Dino. Would've been my 2nd choice after my Giallo Fly on black.

3. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Hopefully it won't be ruined by being flared, and yes I agree it looks good in black.

Pete

4. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    Some people like flares, including me whom I would guess your remark is directed to. I wouldn't use the word ruin and it won't be black.

5. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #6 abstamaria, Mar 8, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
    omgjon, where did you locate those four jack stands? Were the bottom covers still on the car when you suspended the car?

Very good looking car. I hope some interesting, not usual color is planned. Is the owner planning to modify to Euro-spec indicators, as you did?

Regards,

Andres

6. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    I believe he is modifying to Euro lights. Grigio Ferro I believe is at the top of his list. Jack stands came from good old Harbor Freight.

7. omgjeff

omgjeff Karting

Mar 20, 2010
    Austin, TX
    A completely unnecessary comment I would say. The flairs horse has been beaten to a bloody pulp.

I think Andy was asking where they were placed. The rear jack stands were placed on the frame just inside of the A arms. The fronts were placed where the A arms bolted to the frame, resting on the A arm itself.

8. TKO

TKO Formula Junior

Oct 22, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Tom Kearns
    I am the current ‘caretaker’ of Steve and Jon’s latest project, Dino 246GT Chassis #05280. I have been talking with Steve about body and paint work for some time and finally took the plunge. I was familiar with Steve’s Dino experience with Jon’s current GT endeavor. Talking with him it’s immediately obvious that he's passionate about what he does. He is very keen and aware of how things need to be and I believe Steve is very understanding and sensitive to needs of his customers. In addition, I could not be more happy and confident knowing the Jon accepted to get involved lending his time, tools, space and experience to Steve and the job. I feel like the Dino is in the hands of a dream team!

Yes there will be a color change. I have enjoyed the black/tan combination for some time now but, it will not be black again. I love black cars but personally feel the Dino shape will show better in something different. I have considered the original Marrone Met/3218 as I really like the thought and idea of originality but I just cannot warm up to it as much as I have tried. I’ve been driving my wife crazy for months and months (maybe years) with showing her the latest ‘color of the day’. I think I ran through the entire spectrum. Finally I have boiled down to 2 choices. One is the early Fly Yellow with black interior. Yes perhaps bit expected and played out, but in my opinion somehow just fits the Dino. To me it’s the iconic Dino color and really pops the entire compact slippery silhouette in all lighting conditions. The other option is more unique and is my good taste/sophisticated direction ... Grigio Ferro combined with a Terra-cotta or tobacco colored interior. This offers the chance for the metallic paint to really show off the beautiful curvaceous sections of the car. The interior would give it a bit of an unexpected kick and add a bit of energy against the more subtle exterior. Did I mention my wife dislikes .... no hates ... the Yellow idea? Looks like Grigio Ferro it will be.

Thanks for the pics and updates guys!

Tom

9. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #10 PSk, Mar 8, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
    Yes I apologise for my flares comment, just upsets me seeing old cars unnecessarily modified (no different to making a Daytona Spider out of a Coupe) ... but none of my business. My only criticisim of the wonderful (perfect) work omgjon does.

This Dino is in safe hands.
    Pete

10. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    #11 omgjon, Mar 8, 2011
    My 73 Dino coupe came from the FACTORY with flares. It was one of 5 coupes to come to the USA equipped that way. Take your complaint to the Ferrari FACTORY. Because you hate flares so much, I'm posting a picture just for you. Double your pleasure!

11. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    Now back to the job at hand. Today I finished everything that is coming off the car for Steve to work his magic. Tomorrow it is headed to Costa Mesa to begin the lengthy process of resurfacing. I will post pictures a little later.

12. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    #13 thecarreaper, Mar 8, 2011
    great post. Please post pics when done. I loved my marrone Dino 308GTs, in person the color was stunning. I dislike red, so "off colors" appeal to me. :)

Best.

13. omgjeff

omgjeff Karting

Mar 20, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Yes dad but I think Pete is ok with factory flairs. He is merely expressing his opinion of after factory flares. I just don't want to see another thread jumbled up with the flairs argument. We have limited Dino threads as is!

Tom, i was able to see the car before leaving back to school. It really is a beautiful car and was really surprised how clean it was. Even the paint still looked excellent. I vote for grigio ferro!

Jeff

14. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    #15 omgjon, Mar 8, 2011
    I'm glad to hear Tom has chosen a color. I think it will be stunning in that color and a color you don't see that often. I think I'm off the job for awhile until it returns to be reassembled. Tom is probably dying looking at the photos. It was beautiful and RUNNING when he brought it in. We will be pushing it onto the trailer for it's ride 50 miles North. Thank you Tom for letting me disassemble the car. It is interesting to see the minor differences in every car and I'm truly amazed at the factory workers who originally assembled these cars. These cars are not easy to work on and space to work on anything is so limited. No robots on these cars!

15. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Correct.

Pete

16. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    I love flares, especially if they come with 246 GT.
    :)
    Regards Matthias

17. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #18 abstamaria, Mar 9, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
    omgjon, thanks. I'm sorry I meant under what frame members did you place your jack stands. Did you remove the fiberglass covers first? Where to place the stands in the rear is fairly straightforward, but less so at the front.

BTW, when I was looking for a 246 before, I wanted a GT with flares and was told by a well-known dealer that the flares came only on the GTS. That is obviously not correct. I love the picture of your car on the lift partly with the cover. Hopefully, I will not need to work on my paint or bady for a long time, so modification is not in the plans. If I had to do bodywork though and and a complete repaint, I would delete the U.S. sidemarkers and install the Euro flush front indicators. Maybe headlamp covers even!

Many thanks.

Andres

18. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Omgjeff, yes, you're right. I like to work with the car on stands, but am always careful wirth the Dino. Thanks very much.

Andy

19. surface master

surface master Formula Junior
    BANNED

Sep 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Steve N. Kouracos
    Thank you Tom for awarding me your Dino. As you know, I take each project very personally...as a piece of artwork for me. You're just providing my canvas. I had a great time driving down with you to Jon's facility and was very excited when Jon said he'd help me tear your Dino down for paint. As you know, I travelled down to Jon's shop and when I arrived Jon had already dismantled 40% of the car. I helped with a few minor pieces and then Jon and I got pumped up for the grueling dismantle of the quarter windows and doors. Just thinking about those guys at the factory putting these cars together...every one is different and they are probably one of the most difficult cars to pull apart. We completed that task and I had to get on my way back home. I had a meeting the next morning and told Jon I would not be down to help finish pulling the car apart until about 1:00 PM. Jon called me before I left and told me he had finished pulling the car apart and it's ready to pick up.

Jon, you are a CLASS ACT! and I value our relationship. Thank you for your help and I look forward to returning your generosity on your next project. For you to take the time to break away from his Dino...in the middle of figuring out his wire loom....you took the time to help a friend. That's big. Then again...maybe you just needed a break from the wire loom.

No matter...I enjoy working with you again and I appreciate your time, talent, and efforts as I know Tom does as well. Thank you.

Can't wait to start scratching away on the surface. I'll keep everyone posted with photos and updates on this great project.

Steve

20. TKO

TKO Formula Junior

Oct 22, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Tom Kearns
    Holy Sch-nike! .... You guys aren't gonna have a left over bucket of parts and bolts after its back together are you? JK .... :)

21. Peter Tabmow

Peter Tabmow Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2010
    #22 Peter Tabmow, Mar 9, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
    Now why can't we have a show on Speed Channel featuring Jon, Jeff, Steve, et al instead of the overhyped rubbish (Car Warriors) offered now?

I think Tom's onto a wonderful combination. I love what colors like Grigio Ferro do to bring out the subtleties alongside the bolder aspects of the Dino's form. And that photo of Jon and Jeff's two blue Dinos – I think 'droolworthy' is as good a description as any...

22. dignini

dignini Formula 3

Aug 21, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Luigi Marazzi
    Amazing! The new Dino factory!
    Love this stuff! Learning from it too.

23. nerodino

nerodino Formula 3
    BANNED

May 19, 2005
    Suffolk UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    #24 nerodino, Mar 9, 2011
    I think Tom's onto a wonderful combination. I love what colors like Grigio Ferro do to bring out the subtleties alongside the bolder aspects of the Dino's form. And that photo of Jon and Jeff's two blue Dinos – I think 'droolworthy' is as good a description as any...[/QUOTE]

My favourite colour!!!!

24. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Outstanding shot, Graham! Fred