Another Bugatti prewar: fond in 2009 in barn | FerrariChat

Another Bugatti prewar: fond in 2009 in barn

Discussion in 'Bugatti' started by bitzman, Dec 10, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    this is one of those, why didn't you write down the URL deals. i was flitting from one website to another and saw a photo with a front 3/4 view of a turquoise blue Bugatti coupe in a barn, looked like a Typ 57, similar in front to Ralph Lauren's car but the info was skimpy, not even telling the model, just a news story saying something like

Rare Car found after 40 years.

I remember some of it--I only saw the site for 2-3 seconds. The last owner was a doctor who bought the car in 1955. His first name was Norman. Last name was something like "cuff" . The car was fully assembled.
    Obviously the newspaper reporter barely knew what the car was so I was going to ask if it has been saved by an enthusiast, appeared at concours, if there's any more stories on it.
    By the way for some reason I think it was in Hartford CN but the website that had it was not from Hartford, that may have been in the story. Anyway like to read more about it, I guess I should write down stuff before I flit to the next website

2. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Jalopnik ran a story on it http://jalopnik.com/5121937/3-million-1937-bugatti-found-in-british-garage-after-almost-50-years

It was a Typ 57S once belonging to Earl Howe, a big man in prewar racing in the UK
    The car was found in a UK garage.
    It went to auction but since the story was run before the auction I didn't hear the selling price. I wonder who found it and if it was by accident or someone diligently following the trail. Maybe a British Bugatti buff knows the answer.

I don't know where I thought Hartford..

3. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    A very well known car in UK & European Bug circles; everyone just waiting for the estate to move. Sold for a premium because of provenance, rather than condition.

4. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Being a former barn finder, I'd like to believe some bloke who knew cars was passing by, saw the garage door open and recognized the car and bought it, but maybe the less exciting story will be that the family finally figured "Hey maybe this old car is worth something, let's check it out." Does anyone know how the car came to light?

I think one lesson to be learned though is that if you had the address (and how hard could it be to find the address in a small village) from more than 60 years ago, it was still good and some Bugatti fan could have found the car.

My own example is that I have a guide to Cobra club owners from early 70s and someone who lives in England told me, of the UK-based Cobras in this 40-year old register, at least two are owned by the owners listed in that book so anyone who says "It's no use looking up old addresses, the people have surely moved by now" is too defeatist.