Annual Service | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Annual Service

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by RAD1972, Dec 20, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    Ferrari does not recommend routine annual replacement of catalytic converters,spark plugs or fuel injectors. If someone is telling you this you are being misinformed or taken advantage of. If these areas are malfunctioning, that is a different story. Modern spark plugs last a long time in a properly functioning engine and catalytic converters under EPA laws are warranted for, I believe 80,000 miles- check your warranty book that came with the car.
    FWIW, the catalytic converters and fuel rails cost a bloody fortune in a Ferrari.
    Please read the books that came with the car.
    I have owned many Ferraris since 1974 and if you are believing this BS I have a Bridge to sell you in Brooklyn.

thorn and Dave rocks like this.
  2. RAD1972

RAD1972 Rookie

Jun 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Richard Devinki
    Thanks for your reply...I really appreciate it. The info I am sharing with you is in the Ferrari Service book that came with the car.

3. Doctor Mark

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    Please reread the information and review the service schedule. You are misunderstanding what is there. The areas may be checked as a part of the routine checks but not replaced. No different than any other car when it has a yearly service.
    In the book “I” means inspect and “R” means replace.

4. RAD1972

RAD1972 Rookie

Jun 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Richard Devinki
    I attached it for your review....

Attached Files:

5. Doctor Mark

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    What I said. The check mark means to check not replace. Spark plugs every 37500 miles or 3 years. Oxygen sensors at 80000 miles. Not cats.
    When I bring my Hyundai Equus in for service they check most of the same things but they do it free of charge.

6. Doctor Mark

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    There is no way I would routinely replace fuel injectors on a car with 10,000 miles 8 years old or not unless there is an issue. Warranty is long over and the cost to do that is eye watering. For the parts alone almost 4K. Change the fluids drive the car and enjoy it. In truth the value of the car in resale is probably 100K. Replacing good injectors which newer good injectors does not make sense or add value to the car. I have a 2004 Stradale original injectors and my OCD dealer tech never mentioned the issue to me nor on any other Ferrari I have owned.
    It’s your money if you want to flush it down the commode, be my guest.

Dave rocks likes this.
  7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    It really does say replace the fuel injectors and catalytic converters at 100,000 miles or 8 years. Never noticed that before since I do not have a California. That is dumb as a box of rocks. Those direct injectors are under a whole lot of pressure, for sure, but... We clean and reseal the injectors on the indirect injection systems every 5-10 years or so, but do not replace one unless it is individually out of tolerance after cleaning and resealing. Not sure if that can be done with the direct injectors.

Never heard of replacing catalysts that early. Have to look at some later Ferraris with direct injection and see if it recommends the same thing. The California was the first production Ferrari with direct injection, so Ferrari may have been operating with excess caution until they had more data.

8. RAD1972

RAD1972 Rookie

Jun 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Richard Devinki
    Thanks so much...this is really helpful and I appreciate it!! I know to do a O/F/L every year and brake fluid every two years...how about gearbox oil, diff oil and steering oil? Would you ever replace spark plugs if there was no issue?

9. RAD1972

RAD1972 Rookie

Jun 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Richard Devinki
    Thanks so much...really appreciate it...what about spark plugs?

10. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    I think the most expensive part is the labor and products used for flushing/evacuating of the system in preparation for refilling with the Evans product. It think the cost was around $600, two years ago. There is a sticker near the coolant fill now WARNING that it is permanent and NOT to add water, which would ruin it. I’m skeptical as far as it being permanent but I’ll check it annually. I do think my 575 is running cooler. All my work is performed by a very reputable Ferrari service shop.

11. Doctor Mark

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    To the original poster, the best advice of all is to find a competent, honest shop or dealer.
    Modern Ferraris are not much more maintenance intensive that many other modern cars.The service is just way more expensive because of the Ferrari tax and outrageous parts prices.Use your head and think would you do this to your MB or Lexus?
    A tip is that most parts are available from the UK e.g. Eurospares at a major discount to FNA pricing.

12. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Why aren't you reading the PDF that you uploaded...?

13. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I replaced all 8 of my injectors recently to the tune of $400.

14. Doctor Mark

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    Curious if that was on a DI engine. The lead tech at FOA told me that due to the very high fuel pressure in DI engines, Ferrari only supplies the whole rail not individual injectors. He is someone who is never dishonest (know him 15 years) and I had no skin in the game as it was not my car.

15. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    And taxes

16. RAD1972

RAD1972 Rookie

Jun 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Richard Devinki