And so it begins, car value crash... | FerrariChat

And so it begins, car value crash...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 09Scuderia, Apr 13, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    Car values expected to drop in the next 6 months...

“Six months from now, there will be huge, if not unprecedented, levels of wholesale supply in the market,” Dale Pollak, an executive vice president of Cox Automotive, which owns North America’s largest auto-auction company, wrote in an open letter to auto dealers last week. “Cars are coming in, but they aren’t selling. Today’s huge supply of wholesale inventory suggests supplies will be even larger in the months ahead.”

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/fear-impending-car-price-collapse-110000556.html

2. Alex308qv

Alex308qv Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    PA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    This is about used cars "piling up" at auction lots and the implications of working off that excess supply. Yup, got it, a market dislocation caused by reduced near-term demand for used cars. But big picture, looking at all cars new and used, it doesn't seem as gloomy to me after this virus crisis resolves itself. Unlike restaurants, where the lost revenue is lost forever, the reduction in new car production and slow car sales is creating pent-up demand because our vehicles continue to age and wear out. Market will sort this out and get back to equilibrium.

DW68, tres55, Dane and 9 others like this.
  3. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Typical market demand has been far exceeding the real needs so far - people do not replace their cars only when they become too aged to offer a proper service.
    So while a new balance will be found, the economic impact will certainly decrease the demand - lost revenue for people will decrease their buying power and make them reconsider how they spend the money left, and cars could be moved down the list of priorities.
    People short in cash may also want to get money from the cars that are not mandatory for their lives - and it will put even more pressure on the market for cars that are more indulgence than tools.

DW68, DGPF, PTG1 and 7 others like this.
  4. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I cant wait, I'm making room in my garage right now for 250 GTO.... Hee HAW!

ZF123, mcimino, IloveGT and 7 others like this.
  5. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    in 3 years anyone with cash will have a field day with post 2012 models...

nicholasn, jehu999, DGPF and 9 others like this.
  6. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    ZF123 likes this.
  7. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    It's going to get worse before it gets better. Car manufacturers get to book sales when they SHIP to dealers. This means they're going to keep shipping, but what are the dealers going to do when they run out of space? My wife wants a new ugly Lexus. I'm going to wait until Lexus starts offering no interest loans. I could pay cash, but I won't because I'm a bottom feeder.

Manda racing, DW68, DGPF and 8 others like this.
  8. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    If anyone kept up with how highly leveraged car purchases have become, combined with how rapidly new car prices have increased, this news comes at no shock.

DW68, PTG1, ZF123 and 3 others like this.
  9. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    81% of the market (roughly 85M loans) are at prime and below rates.

It's insane. $568 a month average payment on a depreciating asset...

DGPF, ZF123, mwr4440 and 4 others like this.
  10. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    "Rates from 1.9% a Month!" - that's pretty expensive

anunakki and Texas Forever like this.
  11. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    I'm keeping an eye on new Jeep Grand Cherokee's on cars.com...(I gotta get one when I return to the USA at some point later this year)

The best deals 2 months ago when I started looking were about $9000 discount from MSRP of ~$50,000.

Now its $11,000 discount from MSRP for the same vehicle.

(this are only 1-2 dealers that seem to offer that large of discounts, but I am comparing that specific dealer's pricing now vs 2 months before)

DGPF, LARRYH, Lusso123 and 1 other person like this.
  12. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    Island Time and Texas Forever like this.
  13. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

Time is also a variable. People selling a car now, need the money now usually. If that car doesnt sell because wholesales is flooded with cars, then seller will sell for less thus impacting the market.
    Also, all these businesses that have lost revenue forever (hotel, restaurants, events, nightclubs, play centers etc), well these people will not be buying a new or used cars for a while.

On top of that, the market was already not looking good before Covid for many reasons (Cars were too expensive, people are not buying cars as frequently as before, uber model..). Now it will be even worse. How many people will learn to work from home and save time and $ on commute? How many companies will realize, hey, our work quality has not dropped with our staff working remotely, do we really need to spend $200k on rent?
    It will be interesting to follow.

DW68, DGPF, ZF123 and 6 others like this.
  14. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    This for me will be the big move post Covid.

15. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    the idea of millions of people taking trains and busses every single day to sit in a communal office building is not going to be part of the new norm....in a year or 2 activist investors will target companies who have what will deemed to be too large of an office expenditure etc...

16. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

Agreed. And people have now learned they can do 90% of what they need to do from home. Was talking to an IB friend who started working from home bc of Covid, said he didnt before bc of private information from his clients/bank policy but bc of Covid, they obviously found a way or the red tape was cut.

17. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    yes this is a massive jihad on all things legacy stupid...going to the doc to get a z pack, signing your name after you use your credit card, etc...

Dewinator, ec21kb, teak360 and 6 others like this.
  18. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Doesn't anyone think, prices will be somewhat supported by a migration of people from public transport back to cars? I'm some of those who used a lot of public transport will suddenly feel safer commuting in their own vehicle to work.

19. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I don't think millions of NYC residents will suddenly buy cars and stop taking the subway.

20. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Agreed, most people who currently don't drive cars either can't afford it and/or it's highly inconvenient (ie NY). Sure a few here and there will buy cars but I doubt most will.

mwr4440 and Texas Forever like this.
  21. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I’m going to steal your quote.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

22. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Take it a bit deeper though. If the new 'system' bucks the traditional "go to work at the office in the city", maybe the inconvenient part of owning a car changes for many people, especially if they decide that living, surrounded by millions, is not a choice they wish to continue with. CRE failure could push those people into surrounding suburbs, and then a car is necessary, and public transportation becomes less necessary. Obviously it's way to early to tell, but I have friends already saying they will never be back in Manhattan working. The juice isn't worth the squeeze to them anymore.

23. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Nevada authorized electronic signatures by statute, even on court documents, like 15 years ago? But most court departments and some district court clerks refused to permit electronic signatures on certain documents and official orders. Needed both attorneys and the judge to wet sign one paper. I would get snippy about it since federal court went completely electronic by about 2008.

But as of March 17, 2020 they have relented to allow electronic signatures... more than a decade after it became the law!

Texas Forever likes this.
  24. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    We're all speculating on how human behavior will change which is a risky exercise. I'm reading everyone's opinions. As for everyday car sales, I think they are in real trouble. They were already trending lower. New construction has now stopped and will likely be lackluster for at least two years which will negatively impact pickup sales. Furthermore, car sales have been very high for a number of years now. Not many people will be wearing them out soon and a glut of used vehicles coming off leases will offer an alternative to cash strapped consumers. IMO, people aren't paying enough attention to job losses. It's expected that 10-20% won't be returning. That's a huge drag on the economy and consumer spending which will then affect companies thought to be safe. Businesses will be making less money. Capex will be non existent. A lot of high paying jobs are at more risk than many think. Counter arguments welcome.

Dave

DW68, ZF123 and Texas Forever like this.
  25. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    yep exactly. all of these types of things will help in the future.