And now for something completely different | Page 2 | FerrariChat

And now for something completely different

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Schumi, Oct 5, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Ok I'll forgive you do long as :)

You tell us about swapping the transmission! How were you able to do this with the torque tube between the transmission and differential. Also, bonus points for pictures of the finished product with additional points for pictures of adapters/brackets etc used for the swap prior to the installation.

Thanks, I have always been interested in the possibility of a transmission swap.

2. Highmiler

Highmiler Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2010
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I think you can lighten up.
    It is also an abomination that I put a Chevy 454 into my 1940 Lincoln Zephyr.
    Someone else had removed that boat anchor V-12 flat head and so what was I to do?
    I kept the LZ in stone stock trim and modernized the runing gear.
    I agree with full_garage that these cars with out the Ferrari V-12 engine are different and probably not as much of a trip to drive.
    Nevertheless I think you did the right thing given the circumstances and the car probably rides and handles as it should.
    Under the circumstances: a good job well done.
    Greg

3. 3wings

3wings Karting

Apr 7, 2008
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks guys. I fully expected to be crucified but you’ve been more than generous with your comments.
    Thing is, when I opened the door of 18277, and the aroma of all that beautiful leather hit me for the first time, I was smitten.
    There was no way she was ever going to get her original engine back and her future was far from certain.
    So I took the least painful option, in financial terms, and opted for the M88 transplant.
    And you’re right, the car is very clean – I just wish that somebody who really understands 365’s could take a look at her to really appreciate the awesome condition she’s in.

Forty years old next year and still with the body of a two-year-old !

The sad thing is that I’ve had more offers to buy the engine than the whole car – so maybe I’ll undo all the work that I’ve done and reduce her back to the state I found her in over 4 years ago.

But if I did that would anyone take on a proper restoration ?

I’ll get her up on the ramp in a couple of days and shoot some underneath images of the gearbox, prop-shaft and differential assembly. The engineering wasn’t too difficult, just had to lose the torque tube and think hard about the possible lack of stability that such a modification might precipitate.

But it all worked out fine, which is more than I can say about the other marriage in my life.

4. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    I wondered where you've been since you haven't posted in this section for a while.
    With what you ended up with, I can't blame you for your choice. The original 4.4 would have cost beaucoup (or boo coo) bucks to bring back to original :(
    It may not sound the same but it's still a beaut in motion :D

5. fez1238

fez1238 Karting

Sep 5, 2007
    #30 fez1238, Oct 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Should I have a go at doing the same thing with my 'parts car'. It needs a front suspension and steering as well. If you search on youtube you can see a guy that has done the same thing look up 'Ferrari 400 banger racing'. I bought mine without engine for the stainless exhaust system. The front hood and auto gearbox is with the car.

The story behind my car was that it was driven to a garage who cut out the engine with front chasis to put the engine in a replica Daytona!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. fez1238

fez1238 Karting

Sep 5, 2007
    PS forgot to mention that in the boot I found the steering column switch that I promptly sold on e bay for the same price as I bought the car. Sooo many parts for nothing!

7. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    While I'm no proponent of butchering these babies, these cars are 'widely' unappreciated in the F-car world. If they were the 1st car in the Ferrari line-up to receive a F1 transmission, things might be a bit different. But for those 2 seat F-car purists, the 2+2 config…. :mad:
    Just imagine the stigma if these received another 2 doors… :( (anybody notice the new FF or Panamera?? :D )
    It would be one thing to do what you're speaking of to a Daytona, but I feel it's totally unrealistic to feel that if a drivetrain is missing in one of these that it's sacreligious to replace it with something other.
    Besides, it's aesthetic appeal is in no way compromised either sitting or in motion…it just lacks the unique V12 Ferrari roar, that's all :eek:

8. 180 Out

180 Out Formula 3

Jan 4, 2012
    San Leandro, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Henley
    #33 180 Out, Oct 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    #34 blkprlz, Oct 10, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
    With that driver's seat reclined back as far as it is, I'd be afraid of falling asleep behind the whee! :D They're a well built car & all but…
    Quoting Patrick Bedard's article (C&D 12/82) Life Begins at 140/Ferrari 400i: The One to Have When You've Had One of Everything Else, he states about why anyone would spend $12,800. for AmeriSpec to legalize a 400:
    "Fritz's customers belong to that thin stratum of car enthusiasts who have already used up the obvious choices. They've owned so many M-B's they're bored with them. BMWs are too common, Jaguars too bland, Aston Martins too old-fashioned..."

The 365/400/412 has looked beautiful throughout its life & will continue to do so!

10. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    I still think the Lagonda is gorgeous, but agree on those "rims" - They've gotta go.......far, far away.
    I wish AM had been able to get a vendor who could get the original film-covered buttons right. They really finished out the futuristic look of the car; they just didn't work long, thus the more conventional switchgear used on this later example.

11. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    I like them too, to this day, but haven't the stomach for one, especially at twenty five years old and ESPECIALLY this one. $40k, okee dokee

12. 3wings

3wings Karting

Apr 7, 2008
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I've been following Dave's thread: "Need an engine" and it got me thinking that perhaps there are more good engines out there than 365 (rather than 400) bodies in which to transplant them.
    I could sell the M88 + Getrag 5-speed all day long here in SA at $6000 and if I did, I would be left with the car more or less as I bought it - in stunning, and I mean stunning original condition.
    Thing is, who would then be interested in a 1973 365 GT4 2+2, without engine, gearbox or propshaft (I still have the torque tube) for around $14,000 ?

13. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross

All those engines and I'll guess yours too are going into recreations(is that the right word to use? Don't want piss off the vintage guys)of old race cars. So unless you care to part with a couple hundred $k for a 400 engined vintage racer you're a bit stuck.
    There is a rustbucket 400 out there waiting to donate it's driveline and your car is a good place for it. Good luck.

14. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Mike,

I suspect that if your car was in the US (or another major market) that it would be easier to sell. Perhaps you could do some ground work to determine the approximate shipping costs to a couple of the US's major ports and then post a few ads in the usual places (i.e. North American Ebay, Craigslist, etc)?

Also, keep in mind that there is a lot more effort for a buyer to transport a non-running car. I say this as I looked at trying to bring home a few non running cars back to Canada (from the US) and I found my options quite limited...

Lastly, what changes where made to the suspension? Does the car still have the original suspension and knock-off rims? Further were any permanent modifications done to fit the replacement engine/transmission (i.e. mounts modified, cut, etc)?

Cheers,

Sam

15. 3wings

3wings Karting

Apr 7, 2008
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi Sam.

You’re probably right, shipping would almost certainly be a killer, even if I packed her into a 20’ container. Any potential buyer would have to be specifically interested in this car, as opposed to a later 400, and there are possibly plenty of good restoration options already available in the US ??

One of the advantages of the M88 was that it more or less bolted straight onto the existing mountings, so no structural changes were needed on that score.
    Same thing with the Getrag gearbox – nothing has been cut out although a couple of welds here and there were needed if I recall.
    I retained the original Koni suspension although I replaced this with custom-designed Bilstein set-up, a genuinely positive move imho.
    The previous owner kept the knock-off rims, he wanted $2500 for them last time I checked – but having done the M88 conversion, sticking with TRX’s seemed a bit pointless.
    I guess one day enthusiasts might want to ship my sort of car around the world, but that day has yet to come.
    18277 will be 40 years old next year, maybe by the time she turns 50 ?

Kind regards from the Cape winelands.

Mike.

16. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Fill the trunk with several cases of South African wines and you will get a lot of interest! :)

17. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Yeah, all 17 cu. ft.'s worth :D

18. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    You'd be surprised how much you can fit into that space! We can easily fit luggage for a weekend away with my wife and two kids. Properly packed, you could fit a lot of nice wine back there!

19. 3wings

3wings Karting

Apr 7, 2008
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi John.

Do you think that might give it an edge over a trunk full of Texan wine ?

Mike

20. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    You bet, Texas wine likely sucks. Don't know though, I've never tried any.