And let's not forget the Shah | FerrariChat

And let's not forget the Shah

Discussion in 'Middle East' started by bitzman, Sep 25, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    for some time I have wondered what the Shah of Iran left behind
    in his basement garage.

A French magazine, Automobiles Classique, had a photo story on the dusty collection but I couldn't see any Ferraris. I saw a Phantom V and a few Mercedes. Appartently the Mullahs in charge have an unrealistic view of the value of what's left of his rumored 1000 cars and
    thus haven't moved them.

When you see former Shah-owned cars like his special Miuras , it's usually because they were out of the country being serviced at the time of his fall. Once he fell, there was nobody to pay the service bill so shops could start charging a day rate for storage. Once it got behind the new government's will to pay they could confiscate the car. Also some were sold, the Petersen Museum has a fabulous Bugatti from the Shah, I think it was even his wedding car.

A nurse I met once said her ex-husband, an Iranian, would go look in the garage for me but I didn't want to risk it. She said "no problem--he already smuggles in machine guns..." I didn't take her up on it,though

2. abunawafff

abunawafff Karting

Jul 11, 2006
    i was told that the ones in iran are in some type of musium..

3. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I have no idea what this means

4. WilyB

WilyB F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 23, 2007
    AZ
    Are you the ex-hubby of the nurse? ;)

5. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Translation; bitzman didn't want to involve the nurse's ex-husband, a machine gun smuggler, in any Peeping Tahmaseb business.

6. ffeverd

ffeverd F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Vancouver, Canada
    #6 ffeverd, Oct 23, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
    I've been to the the museum in Iran. There's a white Miura, Countach, Espada, 500 Superfast, 512BB, 330 GTC and several other Ferraris as well as a Mercedes 500K. Lots of Pullman 600s and Phantoms as well.

7. Max4HD

Max4HD Formula 3

Jun 20, 2006
    Florida
    Too bad those beautiful machines will be destroyed one day when the shait hits the fan!

Cheers

8. CavalloRosso

CavalloRosso Formula 3

Jul 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA/Vail, CO
    Full Name:
    SVO
    didn't happen to take any pics, did you?

9. arezzo

arezzo Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2003
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    SH
  10. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    In that fuzzy article someone graciously reprinted it looks like the blue car is that Ferrari cut down into a beach
    buggy by a Swiss firm, Felber (spelling?) I think it was a 330GTC or 365GT 2-plus-2 . It's hard to believe that anyone would cut down a Ferrari into a beach buggy (maybe they did it to bug Massini?) but those beach buggies were carried on the decks of yachts and weight might have been a consideration. Besides the Lambo Rambo is really just an exotic engined sand buggy proving there's a market for madness in the sand.

I heard some Iranians had a classic car show , the Tehran Classic Car Show 09 at Niavaran palace in northern Tehran July 21, 2009 (see picture of a gullwing on website
    http://en.ce.cn/World/pic-news/200907/22/t20090722_19599493.shtml

This site has a lot of pictures, including 308GTB, early BB, prewar Mercedes. Way too
    many Mercedes for my taste (whose side were they on in WWII anyway?)
    http://tehranclassiccarshow.com/photogallery.html

So in sum, it may be finally shaking out who owns what of what the Shah once owned--now if the US was only friendly with them, we collectors could go over there and see if they are more realistic in their prices than they were rumored to be in the past.