Ammeter shunt location? | FerrariChat

Ammeter shunt location?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by raemin, Jul 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    I am planing to draw current for the power windows, audio, and the AC blower directly from the ammeter shunt, I've already removed the complete dashboard, but could not find the shunt. As a last resort I may connect my cables to the ammeter (on the cluster), but that's ugly. Any hint would be greatly appreciated...

Fixing all the mess added by the original owner of the car is quite a challenge: these guys added alarm, central locking, second electric mirror, amplified antenna, audio stuff and god knows what else. To crown it all, they were probably short of coloured cables, so they only used black wires that have to be tracked on by one. Not going to discard the whole of it, but will try at least to properly feed this from the shunt.

2. Al Campbell

Al Campbell Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2013
    Australia
    The ammeter shunt is on the relay panel in the passengers footwell.

It is a pain when there has been a lot of mods made to the factory wiring. Hope all goes with sorting it out.

raemin likes this.
  3. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Have you thought about running a separate relay panel for all of the high load items? Things like headlights, cooling fans, fuel pumps along with the items you listed?

4. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    That's precisely what I have in mind: a second relay board behind the instrument cluster. So that's four relays for the windows, three for the ac blower and the fuel pumps? The alarm is gone, and the autoradio was trashed in favour of a becker grand prix that is not going to tax the old system a lot. Central locking was also partially decomissioned: only kept the actuator on the passenger side (opening the driver's door with the key opens unlock passenger's door). Not sure about the engine bay: it would probably make sense to add an additional relay box and "tap" currend directly from the high output connector on the left fender. Not sure it is necessary as I've replaced all the connectors and so far it seems that the real issues was related to the heat of the exhaust (the wire gauge seems acceptable). With the oldschool yellow headlights (french car of that era) I am not going to use night breakers bulbs!

Here are pics of the windscreen wippers connector... will probably work better now! Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Radiator fans are big amp hogs. I mounted a NAPA four fuse panel behind he battery under the wiper motor. My relays are local to each fan and out of sight.

The AC fans do not use much current. the fuel pumps are biggest issue and window motors that you are working on.

Not sure why you are looking for ammeter shunt. You just want clean battery power to the users. For fuel pumps I took from one of the two power supplies from battery to relay panel. For engine bay my fuse panel above is an easy and good solution.
    Ken

6. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    If I connect after the shunt the current draw will be properly displayed on the instrument cluster, whereas if I connect directly to the battery, the current consumption will be wrong and there is a risk to drain the battery. The power connector on the left fender is after the shunt, so that's appropriate and actually quite close to the fans and headlights. Will follow your advice as I've scrapped the ugly yellow ASTI fan, and also added an inline electric water pump, so additional relay box on the engine bay!

Thanks for your help.