American custom single post lift installed.. | FerrariChat

American custom single post lift installed..

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by marknkidz, Nov 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. marknkidz

marknkidz Formula 3

Oct 7, 2004
    so cal
    Full Name:
    mark
    Finally!! all done!!

quite an adventure, from high lifting the garage door (which got complicated due to staircase in the way), too having Post Tension slab X-rayed as to not hit cables when drilling into concrete, to finally installing!!

I know Rob had one installed, i reached out too him for some reassurance! as the process was a bit of a leap of faith!!

to any who want to do, will gladly walk ya thru the steps.. to assure 100% success!!

Here are a few pix of it all done!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. GTUnit

GTUnit Karting

May 25, 2014
    Socal
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Very cool. I didn't even know those existed. Did you have to do anything special for seismic?

3. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Sweet!
    I’ve been thinking about this single post lift... what was approximate cost of install ?

Sent from my 16M

4. marknkidz

marknkidz Formula 3

Oct 7, 2004
    so cal
    Full Name:
    mark
    Nothing special... just use an insured and bonded installer!!

5. marknkidz

marknkidz Formula 3

Oct 7, 2004
    so cal
    Full Name:
    mark

So install is about $2300 with an Additional $1000 if you have a post tension slab, for x-raying... they need to know where the cables are, so not to drill into them when installing (i did the xray)... I used a Insured and bonded installer, so im guessing the price of install reflects that. But, i wasnt going to take any chances... too much to risk, to try to save a couple bucks.

It really is SUPER kool... but i will admit, it does leave me scratching my head every time i go into garage and see it standing!! I did check with American Custom Lift before i jumped in, and asked if they have EVER had any FAILURES.. and was told NO!!

They even sent me a pic of a car on a lift, that just went thru the large RIDGECREST quake a few months back...

plastique999 likes this.
  6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    plastique999 likes this.
  7. Steinhart

Steinhart Formula Junior

May 21, 2019
    Scottsdale, AZ, USA
    I also have an American Custom single arm lift. Very well made and very happy with it. I had to raise my garage door as well. One issue I had was scraping my wheels when driving on the ramp, hitting the metal side barriers, so I picked up a laser centering device to guide me on the ramp each time and keep the car centered.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

rob lay likes this.
  8. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Mark, I assume the $2300 does not include the price of the lift itself? What was that cost if I might ask? I too an in SoCal and have post tension issues.

9. marknkidz

marknkidz Formula 3

Oct 7, 2004
    so cal
    Full Name:
    mark

ron...

im in HB.. PM me and you can come check it out.. can give you all info youll need, from the installers to the company to lift the garage...

as far as cost...NOT CHEAP!!

Raise garage door, with side shaft garage door opener---- $2500
    Install, including xray-----$3300
    Lift, low profile base, and some other options, and shipping----$9900

they custom make each lift to your specs.. it takes about 3 months

plastique999 and rob lay like this.
  10. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Mark, small world. I used to live on Trinidad Island.

I am afraid that is too rich for my blood. I can see it if it is your primary garage and walking around room is at a premium.

However, in my case I have a 2 car garage for the daily drivers and a 1 car garage for “toys”. My wife will “permit” me to have as many toys as I want as long as I keep them in the 1 car. I already have a 65 Vette as a toy but I have been itching to enlarge the herd. So a lift in the 1 car would be ideal. I had been looking at a 4 post lift and it runs about $3500 all in, including installation. So while the 1 post would be much nicer, it is hard to justify the significant added expense for the toy garage. :)

By the way let me know if you ever get down to Supercars at the Beach. I periodically go and it would be nice to meet up.

Ron

11. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Wow, didn’t know the lift itself was $10k... thank you for the info.

Sent from my 16M

12. Bmill

Bmill Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 13, 2011
    California/Minnesota
    Full Name:
    Brad
    Mark, PM me. Mine is scheduled for installation the end of January. I’m in Palm Springs. I’m both excited and nervous!

13. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    ... and can you think any reason why would they say/tell anything different ?

Given that I’m located in SoCal, a region known for multitude of earthquakes annually, and have had couple of highest quality 2-post lifts in my shop for 20 or so years, I would never leave them up with a car on for any longer than absolutely necessary, not even for lunch break, let alone overnight, but that’s just me.

14. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Timo, I am in SoCal also and I have been considering a car lift on which to store an extra car in my one car garage. So it would be occupied all the time. I thought Mark’s lift was the way to go but it is too expensive for my purposes. So I am back to considering a 4 post lift. I hear you on earthquakes. Do you have any experience with 4 post lifts and earthquakes?

15. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #15 TTR, Dec 20, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
    Ron, I don't have 4-post lifts nor direct personal experience with them, but I know a lot of people (acquaintances, clients, colleagues & friends) using them in California for permanently storing cars on and under them. I personally wouldn't unless the subjects on, under or next to them were nothing special (i.e. easily/properly repairable or replaceable by insurance, etc), but again, that's just me.

If choosing to buy/use one (or more), unless you're comfortably able to assess quality yourself, I would recommend having (hiring, if needed) someone with good structural engineering comprehension to look into those details between different manufacturers products. Do not be a victim of marketing*/**.

*Just because a manufacturer of some product occupies a lot of space in print media, has a fancy looking website, lots of customers testimonials or is a C-/SEMA member, doesn't mean their product is very good or right for you. Often it just means they are good at marketing and on many instances, especially in automotive related (aftermarket, read C-/SEMA) products, seem spend more on advertising/marketing than R & D or quality control.

** I have friends who've made fortunes by being clever marketing designers, including one who started with nothing (didn't even graduate from middle school), but bought an island with 19th century villa on it in his early 30's, retired at 45 ... all by creating advertisements for products or services of others.

16. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #16 TTR, Dec 20, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
    Although not a guarantee, but another way to assess quality of various equipment, supplies or tools, is to visit local, highly regarded/long established professional service providers, see what they use and maybe ask how did they arrived to their purchase conclusions (Some clients, colleagues and friends have just asked me for contact info to buy same equipment I have because "well, you bought it, so it must be best available or at least good enough" :rolleyes:).

Years ago I was offered some fairly costly shop equipment for "free"(!?!), in exchange to allow the manufacturer use me/my shop in their marketing efforts, but I declined due to quality being somewhat questionable.

17. Steve00

Steve00 Rookie

Jan 18, 2016
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Steve
    To those that have a lift installed: What height are your garages?
    I only have 8’ clear so I don’t think it will work for me.

18. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    no, mine is maybe 9’6” at lowest and 2 exotics all I can do and barely.

19. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Best way to be accurate is to measure heights of your 2 cars you plan on storing and then add 1 1/2 ft or whatever the lift manufacturer recommends as the necessary space between the stacked 2 cars, anything under 9 ft will be tough...YMMV

Sent from my 16M

20. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    The overall distance is between the garage floor and the lowest overhead point with the garage door open. However, if it is really tight and you have a convertible, you can gain a little room (about a foot) if the top car is the convertible and it is positioned with the top down and the windshield in the area where the garage door doesnt cover at the back of the garage.

21. Steve00

Steve00 Rookie

Jan 18, 2016
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks for the replies. I forgot to mention that the been in my garage (the lowest point) is positioned in such a way that it would be over the hood of the top car so somewhat like a convertible I’d be able to pick up an extra foot or so. When I ran the numbers with both my cars and a minimum clearance it was only 1 inch to spare. The concern was when you lower the lift because of the locks you may have to go up a couple inches before you come down? If that is the case it would not work. If I do not have to go up before coming down I can make it work with 1 inch to spare but it’s a little too close for comfort. So the question is do you have to go up a couple inches to disengage the locks before you come down?

22. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    There are a number of lifts on the market and when you get into the small details regarding clearances you really need the help of professionals.

These guys are lift dealers so they sell various manufacturers and they also contract (nationwide I believe) with installers if you don’t want to do it yourself:

Best Buy Auto Equipment
    http://www.bestbuyautoequipment.com/
    Quality tool & equipment Inc.
    42660 Rio Nedo
    Temecula Ca 92590
    800-647-7883
    855-275-5141
    Fax 951-296-3879

They were very, very knowledgeable and understood garage dimensions and what it meant to the various lift choices that you had. You will get a “salesman” if you call the number and they are actually pretty good in terms of lift and dimension knowledge (you are definitely not calling India). But then if they are stumped with a specific issue they give you to Cosmo who is a lift guru. They spent an incredible amount of time working with me and they were outstanding in terms of patience and overall knowledge of the various lifts available and specific applications. They also dont try to push you in the direction of the most expensive lift they sell and in my case we actually decided that one that was closer to the cheapest was best for me (and it was about 1/2 of the price of the Bendpak—which they also sell).