Amazing Testarossa Drawing! | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Amazing Testarossa Drawing!

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Wolfgang, Mar 25, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Just a question Bugattiart,

The drawings are great but they look like you start with a tracing of a photo or something?. The reason I say this is it is unusual to create such a clean line drawing straight off without tracing ... unless you have a working drawing somewhere else that you trace once you get it right.

Most drawings, to get the proportions right, start of with centre lines of the wheels, etc. and lots of construction lines to get the perspective right. Turner (I think) used to leave these lines in and it just adds to the overall effect and looks fantastic IMO.

Nothing wrong with tracing, I guess ... just curious.

Pete

2. Bugattiart

Bugattiart F1 Veteran

Mar 8, 2004
    Denmark/USA/UK
    Full Name:
    Carsten Christiansen
    Hello all,

@PSk,
    Hello Australia, nice to meet some of the gents from down under!
    No I think I do not trace my drawings??? In fact I don't even know how to "trace" a drawing! Usually I start a new work, with looking for hours on the photos provided for an ordered drawing.....studying all the visible small details and lines of the car in question and then I figure out where to start the outline of this drawing....eg. on the 330P4 I have started making the lowest line of the bodywork, and then nice and slowly built it up from that.....It's somewhat difficult to explain I guess! I think visual so to speak, and I'm so used to "build up" the drawing layer after layer according to the wishes of my customers! Sometimes I will get from a customer, a few photos of the car seen from certain angles, but he realy like the drawing to be turned arround and seen from a slightly different angle! Then I will have to be able to turn the perspective in my mind, and try to make the drawing according to his wishes! Other times I will have one or more photos of a car, and a different set of photos of the preferrred backgrund, and will have to make the car standing in a certain angle in front of a house or whatever the background will be, and that can sometimes be a real puzzle, to make two subjects in one perspective! That's the main reason why I spend so much time on a drawing, and because of the fact that my drawings are made only(including the outlines) with an ink drawingpen! Mistakes will mean that I have to start all over on a new piece of paper, and that's the main challenge for me, to actually get it look right, and it's the reason why I love doing these drawings. Although not often, I do sometimes make mistakes when having spent loads of hours on a drawing ..... that's a F*#^¨¤:( great learning experience, and teaches one to be patient;) I have never studiet art or learned how to make drawings correct, and perhaps I do it all wrong, but nevertheless a lot of people actually likes my drawings the way I do them!!! My skills were "inherited" from my grandfather who made drawings exactly the same way as I do now!!! I say inherited, because he was actually dead already at the time of my birth, so I have not learned it from him! I have no other way of explaining how I do these drawings so I hope this will be answer to your questions! :)
    I guess my profile picture should show you how I work..... :)
    Edit: (A lot of my drawings have small mistakes.....but only I will know where to find them).... and psst... don't tell anybody :D

Best regards

Carsten

3. Bugattiart

Bugattiart F1 Veteran

Mar 8, 2004
    Denmark/USA/UK
    Full Name:
    Carsten Christiansen
    Hello and a wonderful good morning gents, :)
    Nothing realy happened to the 330P4 drawing yesterday, since I was busy doing other things! But today I will proceed with the background, and later today I will post the picture of the progress made!!!
    Have a nice day on F-chat.com and I'll CU later.

Carsten Christiansen
    http://www.bugattiart.com

4. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Thanks for the response. Yes I can see how you build up your drawings, and I have to say that I am impressed if you just draw an outline first. That is incredibly difficult. I used to be a draughtsman and ocassionally did marketing catalogues and getting the perspective right by simply drawing an outline is close to impossible for most ... and I have to say even for me ;). I usually pencil sketch a few centre and reference lines and then rough the shape out and when confident do the outline in pen ... and build from there as you say.

Keep at it!

Pete
    ps: BTW: Tracing is when you draw over a photo in tracing paper ... cheating some would say ;)

5. Bugattiart

Bugattiart F1 Veteran

Mar 8, 2004
    Denmark/USA/UK
    Full Name:
    Carsten Christiansen
    Hello all, :)
    I'm so ashamed for not having uploadet pics for the last couple of days,:( Sorry guys, but I have been busy with having pre-prints of the drawings made for customers and updating my website with the two latest F-car drawings in the "Ferrari Art" section. Wolfgang's former/now Frank B's 1984 Ferrari 308 GTSI Quatrovalvole and the 1967 Ferrari 330 P4 of Pierre Bardinon is now also visible in my Ferrari Art gallery which will keep growing for sure!!! This have meant that I have had very little time for drawing, and I think today the progress will also be very little (as I will have to watch the qualifying for the Spanish GP) ;) But I will return with more pics of the evolving drawing as soon as I have started the background on the 330 P4......that's a promise :)
    Hi Pete and thanks again, :) No cheating from here, as
    I do all of my drawings exclusively on 130g/m2 drawing paper from start to finish, and I guess tracing would be next to impossible on this kind of paper! :)

Best regards

Carsten Christiansen
    http://www.bugattiart.com

6. Bugattiart

Bugattiart F1 Veteran

Mar 8, 2004
    Denmark/USA/UK
    Full Name:
    Carsten Christiansen
    Hello gents, :)

I'm back with the Testarossa drawing, and I could use your advice.....I have (on a copy) made a very quick drawn forrest road behind the Testarossa!
    NOW PLEASE do not take this for anything like the real finished work, but just a quick drawn sample of what COULD be a background for the Car!!!! The threes and the road would be much better made on the real drawing for sure!!!
    Please gents......your oppinions????

Best regards

Carsten Christiansen

7. ForzaFerrari

ForzaFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 25, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Waldo
    again, amazing. Even for a quick background it look super!! :) Very nice!!

8. Bugattiart

Bugattiart F1 Veteran

Mar 8, 2004
    Denmark/USA/UK
    Full Name:
    Carsten Christiansen
    Thank you Waldo!!! :)
    I think I have found just the right background for this drawing, although not the one seen in my last post!!!

@Wolfgang,

The Wolfarossa-front-drawing is now very close to be finished, and the car is now placed in local (for you) and nice surroundings!!!! Sorry no photos :D You will have to wait until Düsseldorf..... HEHE :D

Best regards

Carsten

9. Bugattiart

Bugattiart F1 Veteran

Mar 8, 2004
    Denmark/USA/UK
    Full Name:
    Carsten Christiansen
    Hello Gents, :)

Here a scan of an A4 print of the finished drawing as delivered to Wolfgang in Düsseldorf!!!
    The other three finished drawings will follow later!!!

Best regards

Carsten

10. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    ...thanks again buddy. Its framed in my living room!
    The proud owner of the original drawings:)

11. Bugattiart

Bugattiart F1 Veteran

Mar 8, 2004
    Denmark/USA/UK
    Full Name:
    Carsten Christiansen
    :) Here we go with the front wiew of Wolfgangs Testarossa.....

12. Bugattiart

Bugattiart F1 Veteran

Mar 8, 2004
    Denmark/USA/UK
    Full Name:
    Carsten Christiansen
    Front wiew drawing of the 308 GTSI QV.....

13. ForzaFerrari

ForzaFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 25, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Waldo
    they look all very very nice Carsten!! Well done!

14. Bugattiart

Bugattiart F1 Veteran

Mar 8, 2004
    Denmark/USA/UK
    Full Name:
    Carsten Christiansen
    Thanks Waldo :) :) :)

15. Bugattiart

Bugattiart F1 Veteran

Mar 8, 2004
    Denmark/USA/UK
    Full Name:
    Carsten Christiansen
    And here is the last one of the four drawings made for Wolfgang, and.....this is my personal favourite.....I think???? ;):)

16. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    beee-uatiful

17. alx355gt

alx355gt F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Alexander
    Indeed! Your drawings look great, Carsten! Very nice!

18. Lukas

Lukas Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Lukas A. Niklasson
    wow very nice drawing carsten! must have taken a lot of time to finnish that! me just finnished a 512 i did for a customer here on the board too... :)

19. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    Any chance you could show us that 512 BBi?

20. Malfark

Malfark F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2002
    Mud Island, Europe
    Full Name:
    Markem
    ...watch this space Ton! You never know....;) Later, MARK

21. Malfark

Malfark F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2002
    Mud Island, Europe
    Full Name:
    Markem
    Yup - some months ago I sent a (new & un-used) box of Czech Durex "Testarossa" condoms to Wolfgang for his collection! :D MARK

22. Bugattiart

Bugattiart F1 Veteran

Mar 8, 2004
    Denmark/USA/UK
    Full Name:
    Carsten Christiansen
    Thanks Mark, :)
    You're right.....you never know;););)

In the meantime, here is the latest of the Fcar-drawings only just finished today...the 250 GT SWB Competizione!

23. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    Hi Carsten,
    thanks for the wonderful drawing and to keep your "real-estate" (the thread) alive:)

24. Scuderia CC

Scuderia CC Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    France
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    woaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw it's wonderful Carsten,

Once again it's really a pure happiness to look at, it is really very good work :eek:
    Quel talent !!!!

Best regards.

25. Bugattiart

Bugattiart F1 Veteran

Mar 8, 2004
    Denmark/USA/UK
    Full Name:
    Carsten Christiansen
    Hi Wolfgang, :)
    Thanks for you wonderful comments, if it was not because of you, I would not be doing Ferrari drawings :)
    I'm sorry for having hijacked your wonderful thread here! I just thought that the new Fcar drawing belonged in here together with THE drawing which started it all...the drawing of your magnificent Beast!!!

@Christophe, :)
    Thanks dear friend,
    I'm so happy to see that you also like the Ferrari drawings ;):)

Best regards

Carsten