Amateur Photographer...need some critiquing! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Amateur Photographer...need some critiquing!

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by F430GB, Aug 2, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferrariartist

ferrariartist F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    East of Toronto
    Full Name:
    Grant Thomas
    Thats really too bad... in our Year 1 photography classes we could sign out Pentax K1000 cameras to use for our projects. Learned more with that old thing than any camera since... darn thing worked without batteries. (Lets see a digital camera do THAT. :) ) Purchased my own Pentax - the P3 - in my last year: 1989. Used it for almost 20 years and it never skipped a beat. Still have it.
    Maybe I am old fashioned but the old manual SLR film format can teach one alot.

GT

2. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    that is how I learned. Also medium format and 4x5 bellows cameras

3. F430GB

F430GB F1 Veteran

May 5, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Gil Folk

4. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    We were looking at photography schools this year and at least one forced students to start off with film slr and darkroom. I can't remember which it was but we were looking at several of the bigger ones. Daughter accepted at R.I.T. for photojournalism.

5. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Sometimes I really miss the manual focus line-up-the-stick-with-the-lollipop metering film slr of my youth!

6. F355_guy

F355_guy Karting

Jun 26, 2004
    G.B. - you have some really great pics there...

If your interest is in HDR, please have a look at Trey Ratcliffs website : http://www.stuckincustoms.com/
    Im not a huge fan of HDR photography myself but im really impressed by Trey´s work......He also has a great tutorial on HDR on his site....Keep posting more of your work as you progress...

Cheers, Nick

7. F430GB

F430GB F1 Veteran

May 5, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Gil Folk
    Nick,

Thank you VERY much for the kind workds and the link; definately some wonderful shots there. I am interested in HDR, but I am trying all branches of photography as I have not fully found my "comfort zone." I will post more photos as they become available.

Thanks again,
    -G.B.

8. richard

richard Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Richard Thompson III
    #33 richard, Aug 7, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
    Not at all old fashioned, but with enough perspective to understand that digital is not that big of a deal. Formats change, a good concept does not. People love to hear numbers all the time, that's the way American consumer practice works. It's why everyone is always after new gear and why whole magazines are devoted to the minutia of all these products which they can sell to continue circulating money through the economy. It's 100% pure garbage. New, better, faster, numbers, numbers, numbers...at the end of the day I can't think of one really good photograph...I mean, the kind that changes your mind about a big idea...which was made on some fancy high tech digital camera. A look at the most compelling and emotional images of our time indicates the camera is a mundane tool for communicating an idea and little else. Even in landscape photo where you can make arguments about resolution a film camera and a decent scanner yield are 1/10th the cost of equivalent digital gear. Yet strictly because they give instantaneous results and are available to buy at thousands of shlock warehouses (best buy, etc.) across our great nation, people go out, buy it, and then have an unrealistic idea about what constitutes good photography. I got 30% of my photo education from concepts I was made to understand before even picking up a camera, and the other 70% from going out and doing it -- with film 35 gear, or my trusty mamiya RB67, etc. None of it has ever come from using a better camera or post production technique, although those things are sometimes nice flair.

9. bushwhacker

bushwhacker In Memoriam

May 25, 2006
    Phoenix Az.
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    GB, you have the potential to be a great shooter but like it's been said here before, concentrate on the things that differentiate real talent from a 'Hack with a Mac'. Apart from having a good eye as you do, work on concept, composition, lighting real and practical,lens selection,etc. Now days, thanks to the computer anyone can play photographer and get sucked into tricky digital techniques but if you're serious about a career in photography you've got to do your homework. One of the best things you can do is mileage.........shoot, shoot, shoot and learn by doing. Be a creative sponge and soak up every little bit of information you can, if you have the fire within ( passion ) you will feel it and it will make itself apparent in your work.
    Also, beg , borrow or steal your way into Art Center College, Brooks, etc. after you get your prereq's out of the way in JC. They are the best schools on the planet for a shooter, of course I'm a little prejudice of my old alma mater and I also taught at Art Center but if you're serious that's the place to be.
    Remember the camera and the computer are just tools......you are the talent that makes them work. Now quit screwing around on FChat and go take some great shots.

10. F430GB

F430GB F1 Veteran

May 5, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Gil Folk
    Dennis,

Thank you for the insight and encouragement. Photography will always remain as a hobby for me; not develop into a career. I have already chose the medical field for my choice of career, preferably neurosurgeon. Anyway, I have gained a LOT of knowledge throughout this thread and I plan on using it to strengthen my abilities, therefore, making my hobby more enjoyable. :) Thanks for the words of wisdom, everyone! I will post "progress pictures" as soon as they become available.

Thanks,
    -G.B.

11. bushwhacker

bushwhacker In Memoriam

May 25, 2006
    Phoenix Az.
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    GB,

Outstanding!, if you apply you're talent to neurosurgery as you do to photography you'll make a hell of a brain doc. Good luck to you and keep your eye on your goals as well as your photography .............oh yeah don't forget about us with your pics.:D

12. Paul_308

Paul_308 Formula 3

Mar 12, 2004
    Signup at the NikonCafe.com forum
    They have a large group of HDR experts who can help you.

13. F430GB

F430GB F1 Veteran

May 5, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Gil Folk
    Thanks!!!!! I might have an opportunity to go shooting this weekend, so I might have picks up tomorrow night or Monday morning. :)

-G.B.

14. F430GB

F430GB F1 Veteran

May 5, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Gil Folk
    Cool! Thanks for the tip!

-G.B.

15. F430GB

F430GB F1 Veteran

May 5, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Gil Folk
    Hey guys!

I wasn't able to go shooting this weekend. I was VERY busy with work. I am in the process of scheduling a photoshoot with a Ferrari F430 and a Lamborghini Gallardo. Should be within the next week or so. I'll post pics after the photoshoot. Keep your eyes open!!! ;)

-G.B.

16. K Cuv

K Cuv Karting

Apr 22, 2008
    New York
    Full Name:
    Kyle Cuviello
  17. Zahiba

Zahiba Formula 3

Mar 29, 2005
    Victoria, Canada
    Full Name:
    Malcolm
    Great Job!! Keep us updated on new stuff you do, we'd love to see it!!

18. F430GB

F430GB F1 Veteran

May 5, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Gil Folk
    #43 F430GB, Sep 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  19. blackwood

blackwood Formula 3

Dec 15, 2005
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Marc
    Sure, but if the environment exceeds the 4-5 stops a digital sensor (or 7-8 stops most film) can resolve, it will be there (in real life), but won't be there (in your capture).

20. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    Keep shooting; but TBH, I really don't see anything special in any of those other than you have some good memories. The cropping is awkward, the reflections, and the framing doesn't really work; and my eyes aren't drawn to anything that makes sense. Are you shooting with a SLR? Make sure you have a good understanding of when it's appropriate to use low and high depth of field...

21. F430GB

F430GB F1 Veteran

May 5, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Gil Folk
    No, I don't use a DSLR. :( I use a crappy little point and shoot HP digital camera. I'm in the market for a DSLR though.

-G.B.

22. F430GB

F430GB F1 Veteran

May 5, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Gil Folk
    #47 F430GB, Dec 28, 2009
  23. porscheracer01

porscheracer01 Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2008
    Parkslope
    Full Name:
    DD

Nice photos but the pics look grainy.

24. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The most obvious thing to me is that the man in the first photo is out of focus. Make sure you press the shutter half-way to focus (probably on his eyes or so) before you take the shot.

25. F430GB

F430GB F1 Veteran

May 5, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Gil Folk
    #50 F430GB, Dec 29, 2009