Alonso's Indy Performance | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Alonso's Indy Performance

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by David Lind, May 3, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FastLapp

FastLapp F1 Rookie

Mar 18, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    James
    Mansell came 3rd in the 1993 500, his first Oval race. Rossi's results in his first IndyCar season on ovals were better than road courses when he made the switch from F1/GP2.

I expect a lot from Fred. Personally, if he wants to prove he is the best all around driver, I want to see him in a rally car :D

2. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    After actually watching some video of Alonso's run on 5/15 I came away thinking he was a little too jerky, maybe a little too aggressive, and he didn't flow up to the wall very smoothly.

You can't do that stuff at top speed at Indy, can you?

Or put another way, you can't get to top speed at Indy doing that stuff, can you?

-F

3. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    #28 GuyIncognito, May 18, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Mansell's first oval "race" (he didn't start) was at Phoenix, where he crashed really hard in practice. IIRC he literally punched a hole in the wall with the gearbox. He didn't make the start due to back injuries from the crash.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    He will get closer to the walls when he becomes more comfortable in the car. At the moment he is getting a feel for driving the car in traffic. It seems that it has been pretty windy at the track for the past two days, not the time to take downforce off the car.

5. FastLapp

FastLapp F1 Rookie

Mar 18, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    James
    I stand corrected. Ouch!

6. So his first oval race was Indy. :p

(I was gonna post the same thing, but he didn't race at Phoenix, so I didn't.... :))

7. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    technically, yes.

but his first oval race weekend was at Phoenix ;)

8. #33 lorenzobandini, May 18, 2017
    Last edited: May 18, 2017
    Oh thtop....not his firtht oval race. He didn't thtart!!! Again :p :p :p :)

(btw, political correctness is not my thing....in case you were wondering.... :p)

9. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    I haven't watched, however it is hard to tell from a description.

Some of the best do allow the car to move around with the bumps and winds, this makes it look "jerky" but the reality is they are keeping the friction down. They are faster for not trying to hold the line.

On the other hand, you have folks over much trying to hold a line, and this causes them to over correct back and forth across the line.

So to some extent, yes, you can be very fast as a "jerky" driver - if the jerks are from the environment and the driver flows with them. If the jerks are from the driver, no, it is slow on an oval that way.

They've taken the stands down, but I used to love sitting at the exit of turn 2 at Charlotte Motorspeed way in a dead line with the back straight. The fast guys let the car flow off the corner, the wind and bumps made their line, they let it deviate. They didn't try to hold it straight to a line.

10. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    you're Elmer Fudd?!?!?!

11. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Furmano, you could be onto something. I remember when Alonso was just becoming a F-1 ace. One of the expert commentators, Jackie Stewart I recall, said Fernando's initial turn in motion seemed jerkier than others. He then guessed that FA did this deliberately to get the front end to take its set or lean. Wish I could recall the race & find the youtube.

12. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    FA just reeled off a 225.128 for about 5th quick on the day. Starting to show some front-runner's speed?

13. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Alonso now 4th quickest at 225.6 and change.

14. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    This is strong karting behavior, the angle of the chassis is effected by steering input. It leans the kart over before the load on the tires puts the lean there.

Harsh turn in, followed by backing off on the steering wheel.

On high profile tires, the tread does not initially match the underlying angle of the wheel hub. This means you need to steer greater, until the rubber catches up. It'd be interesting to have today's slow motion high definition cameras in yesterday's F1.

15. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    In theory this should be a walk in the park for Alonso.

In Monaco he would be doing something like 5000 gear changes,choosing braking points for 16 varied corners on each of the 78 laps (1248).Running very close to the unforgiving barriers.Low Average speed. Not much overtaking possible.

At Indy hardly any gear changes,virtually no braking for 4 fairly similar corners for 200 laps (800) .Running very close to the wall a lot of the time.Very high average speed.Lots of overtaking.

I am sure it will not be that easy for Alonso.He has done his fair share of slipstreaming/drafting over the years but of course at Indy it is crucial to get it right.If he can get a clean run he will be very fast,traffic is the big problem.

16. Theory? Mmmmmmm.

Fairly similar? Mmmmmm. To the casual fan, yes. In reality, no. ;)

17. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    The wind has a big effect on the corners i heard,and different team strategy's come into play of course.

Alonso is one of those guys who loves to drive flat out from start to finish ,a thing which has been impossible in the last years in F1 due to tyre wear etc.So he will relish the challenge for sure,i am not saying winning the Indy 500 is at all 'easy' .

18. #43 lorenzobandini, May 19, 2017
    Last edited: May 19, 2017
    You're learning... ;) :) [to be precise (or is it accurate...I always get 'em confused...) it has a big effect on the downforce..., not the corner itself :p}
    [as opposed to some that "know".... :) Modesty is the key. (yes, "key" is my key word. :))]

19. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Reaching top speed at an oval is a pretty different skill than getting the fastest lap on a road course.

A simplistic view is that because an oval has fewer apexes to deal with and you only turn in one direction and gear change sequences are simpler, it would be easy for an F1 driver, especially one as skilled as Alonso.

But reaching top speed at an oval has its own challenges. In fact, maybe even challenges that go against the skills of an F1 driver. You've got to be pretty cool to reach top speed and keep it going for more than a few laps, as the pack continuously tries to overtake you.

Alonso is pretty cool so who knows? :)

-F

20. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    There has been some good discourse here!

21. So you say....some so, and some not..... :p :D

22. junglistluder

junglistluder F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2007
    VA
    Full Name:
    Brendan
    #49 junglistluder, May 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  23. Irrelevant. If the car's hooked up, the cars hooked up.