ALONSO: Which Team In 2008 (Poll) | Page 5 | FerrariChat

ALONSO: Which Team In 2008 (Poll)

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by RP, Nov 4, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Alonso In 2008: For Which Team Will He Drive?

1. Renault

2. BMW

3. Toyota

4. Spyker

5. Williams

6. McLaren (anything's possible)

7. His home in Majorca

8. NASCAR as JPM's teammate

9. IRL as Danica's teammate

10. On Andreas' slot car team

11. Torro Rosso

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    +1000000

2. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    +1

Yes, I think Hamilton will be the next F1 superstar and will surpass both Kimi and Alonso. However he will never be pried away from McLaren.

Kimi and Alonso would be a formidable pairing and I don't care one way or the other about Alonso's personality. Any driver in F1 that is not in it for himself is destined to be a career #2 (Massa, anyone?). Alonso wants to win and he cares only about winning, that is good enough for me.

ALL of the great champions, ALL of them, are selfish and self-centered. yes, that completely includes Schumacher. As discussed ad nauseum on this site, Schumacher was in it completely for himself, the "team player" notion is a myth.

3. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def

Best driver? Don't agree at all.

Alonso had the best car this year, and he came in third in the championship. I would say Ferrari already has the best driver(s), Raikkonen who won the WDC, and Massa.

Not to mention a real team spirit.

4. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    He did that already at Renault by being their test driver for a couple of years and then took them all the way to the very top. He is considered as the best car developer currently in F1.

5. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    Best drivers?!? Massa?!? Did someone screw up your pain medication?!?

Stop it, Ron! You're killing me!! :D

Team spirit?

cough*Stepneygate*cough

cough*BrawntoHonda*cough

cough*LdM v. Todt*cough

I am VERY concerned about Ferrari's internal team issues. If there is a weakness in the team's armor, it is internal squabbling.

6. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def

Team player a myth? That's a load. Schumacher created the team. Yes, of course, it was all around him, but he created a team where none existed before. He kept everyone motivated, even down to factory employees. When he walked back to the pits in Brazil 2006, even after losing the WDC, he thanked that non-team to which you fictionally refer. He also took the time to work with his teammate making him one of the top four in F1. Compared to Alonso's ego, Schumacher would be considered Mother Teresa.

After witnessing the debacle of all the other super driver pairings in the past, now the Alonso/McLaren friction, why would anyone at Ferrari be so foolish to think it would work for an Italian team?

7. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Squabbling? What squabbling? Be specific.

Seems like Kimi and Chris get along quite well. Same with Massa and his chief engineer. I would guess that Ferrari has the strongest team of all for 2008. It comes to light now that Brawn's return would have created some friction as there are Italians on the team that proved their worth by the end of 2008 that would have been overlooked. The Stephney issue just made everything tighter.

And Massa is considered one of the top four in F1 today in ratings by Autosport and F1 Magazine. You have nothing statistically (unless you invent it) to suggest differently about Phil.

8. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Yes. I believe Phil is fourth.

With Alonso split between two different teams, this is good for Ferrari in 2008 IMVHO.

9. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    +1
    Wherever Alonso will end up, it will be way late to help develop the 08 car.

Ferrari is the team to beat next year.

10. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    He did it all to ensure that HE won. He sure didn't motivate the team so Irvine could win the title... :rolleyes

The only team Schumacher drove for was Team Schumacher.

11. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    Statistics?!?

All that shows is how good the Ferrari is. Rubens did more with that car than Massa did. I can think of half a dozen drivers who would have done more than Massa achieved this season had they been driving the Ferrari.

So Massa was in the top 4. let me guess...he was fourth.

12. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Not necessarily a comment about Massa, but what is so surprising about that finding? I mean he came in 4th in the Championship. Are rocket scientists working for Autosport and F1 mag to figure this out? Let me guess, the other 3 drivers are the top three from the championship?

I have always an issue with all these "best driver of the year" nominations from all these magazines, tv shows and what have you. I think it is all BS. There is a drivers' championship. That's all that matters, everything else is just a bunch of noise. Even some of my fav magazines feel the need to select their driver of the year. And guess what: It is usually the guy who just won the title. What a surprise. Nott.

13. Ambassiatore

Ambassiatore Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2007
    Full Name:
    David Figueredo T.
    ...my bad, I mean do that AGAIN...all that happened between him and Lucifer looks like is creating some "bad vives" around in my opinion, I was convinced to see ALONSO completely SOLDOUT in the first week after the McLaren release...and it doesnt look like it...not even close.

I think there "might" be something wrong, something on top of the one year contract... or is he just being extra cautious this time around?

14. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    Many are saying Alonso is waiting to see how the Renault/McLaren Spy saga will play out. If Renault gets hit with a fine like McLaren did there would be a) a very weakened Renault or b) no Renault F1 at all.

15. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    +1

The only way anyone could say that Phil was better than fourth is if he had sacrificed his own position to let his team mate take the championship. He did this a couple of times but not enough to change the standings or my opinion of his abilities.

We have a WDC to determine who is the best driver. Over time the better drivers will end up in the better cars. The guys who run the teams and put up the money have a vested interest in getting the best driver in their car. Their opinion counts more than anyone else's.

So Phil is fourth. If he drives the same next year as he drove this year and places higher than fourth it will be because he is in a better car than Lewis and Fred. Of course, he may improve his driving. I hope he does. I think we have to expect that people will continue to perform as they have in the past until they do something to prove others wrong...which means they must produce better results.

16. cove26

cove26 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2007
    CT
    Full Name:
    Mike

Completely Agree!!!!

17. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #117 kraftwerk, Nov 19, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    +1, and totally agree also with Andreas.

Massa is not the fourth best driver on the F1 grid at the moment, but he is taking the very best car and managing to get fourth in the WDC. That in itself proves that he is not as good as the car, and thus not really the fourth best driver. I guess the stupid magazine rated Kimi as the best driver? ... one even has to question that because all he did was take the very best car and win with it. There is probably a driver way further down the grid that is taking close to the worst car on the grid and finished way higher in the WDC than he should ... anybody do the stats?

Thus the mags, to do this stupid rating of drivers, need to first rate their car, and then based on where they finished in the WDC determine if they improved on the cars performance or not ... but yes okay the winners are winners because the cream rises to the top, but Alonso (for example) performed miracles in the Minardi when he drove that. That is how you rate a driver. Massa when he drove a Sauber (a car surely better than a Minardi?) performed poorly ... and yet a few years later he still managed to end up in the best team ... hmmm, yeah ofcourse this has nothing to do with Todt's son, yeah right ;)!
    Pete

19. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Ferrari: Raikkonen slightly quicker than Massa.
    McLaren: No clear winner between Hamilton and Alonso.
    BMW: Heidfeld ahead of Kubica.
    Renault: Kovalainen quicker than Fisichella.
    Williams: Rosberg very significantly quicker than Wurz.
    Red Bull: Webber quicker than Coulthard.
    Toyota: Trulli ahead of Ralf Schumacher.
    Toro Rosso: Liuzzi quicker than Speed, Vettel marginally quicker than Liuzzi.
    Honda: Button quicker than Barrichello.
    Super Aguri: Davidson quicker than Sato.
    Spyker: Sutil quicker than Albers or Yamamoto.

But next year we have a reset button: new cars, new technical regs, new circumstances, new motivations. So the above list cannot in any way be taken as definitive.

As with most things in F1, the targets are forever moving. It’s at once a fascination and frustration of the sport.

20. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    On a side note Autosport's end of the year annual often doesn't follow the points finishing’s for driver ratings. I seem to remember that in 1996 they rated MS as the No 1 driver even though he finished 3rd in the points. :confused: I'm probably wrong but I do remember the drivers being out of their WDC order.

21. barbazza

barbazza Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 10, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    I agree that they are in it for themselves. However, I don't recall Senna or Schumacher trashing their teams in public like alonso does. Sure, Senna would say publicly that the team had work to do if they were to stay in front of Williams, etc. But that was to warn the team and to motivate them to do better. I don't remember him ever saying the "team weren't supporting him" ot they "didn't want him to win the title" or any other such nonsense as alonso has done, both at McLaren and at Renault.

With Kimi at Ferrari they have at least as quick a driver as alonso, if not quicker. Massa has proved to be a good enough #2. That formula worked very well during the Schumacher years (6 consecutive Constructor Championships). I don't see the need for a change.

22. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    IMO The only worry Ferrari will have is Lewis ,IF the 08 Mclaren car is as good as it was this year..

I'am prepared to eat my words though..:)

23. barbazza

barbazza Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 10, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    I agree, they should be very strong next year. I really like Lewis but I still hope Kimi can make it a double :)

24. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    How can McLaren be strong?. There development budget has taken a hit, and if they come out winning the FIA will assume they have an unfair advantage and jump on them.

I personally cannot see McLaren making a competitive car for a couple of years ... unless the FIA leave them alone.
    Pete

25. barbazza

barbazza Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 10, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    I doubt they won't be able to absorb the hit to their bank account. Between taking on some debt and getting cash from Mercedes and billionair co-owner Mansour Ojei (spelling?) they should have plenty of money for development. As for the FIA, I doubt they can simply use winning against McLaren to prove they used stolen data. I'm hoping we have a really competetive season in 2008 with a tough 3 team fight for the title. With Kimi winning it of course... :)