Alonso was only free for 2008 – Mateschitz | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Alonso was only free for 2008 – Mateschitz

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by GrndLkNatv, Apr 9, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    I don´t buy that version. Renault wouldn´t allow his driver to help a rival team. Remember that McLaren wanted Alonso to test with them before Christmas but Flavio only allowed him to make one test; he was not very cooperative, even despite the season was finished.

2. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis

True, but how could he stop Alonso from visiting the factory? Maybe jumping in the simulator for a quick spin. Even before the season ended, it is possible. To think the team and Alonso had no contact is unrealistic don't you think? Hell, if it were me I would have put on DeLaRosa's helmet and started testing.

3. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Well, of course he could. But he shouldn´t. He and McLaren would be in REALLY knee-deep trouble if someone caught them.

4. callaides

callaides Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2004
    Detroit, MI
    So true. Example: this youtube clip from the 2005 Monaco qualifying, where Raikkonen out-qualified Alonso by basically half a second. This clip is also what pretty much soldifies who is the No.1 driver in the sport today. I love Brundle's comment: "Now then. Mr. Raikkonen. What can you do?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFHy_ieU3Pc&feature=related

5. GrndLkNatv

GrndLkNatv Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2006
    Grand Lake, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Stephens
    So Mr. Red Bull himself says Fred was only free for a year, and the rumor was, including coming from Fred's mouth that he has the option to go to Ferrari. Luca is praising Fred all the time, I happen know that Kimi and Fred get along well and then we have the nay sayers, that it's impossible for Fred to drive a red car... So let's lay it out...

First, Ferrari knows what Ferrari needs and if that means Fred driving along side Kimi then it will happen. I am quite sure that Luca doesn't care what we think, it's his decision and whether or not we think it works doesn't matter. I also know that the Agnellis, the people who literally own Ferrari, Fiat and half of Europe, like to win and if that means Fred driving a red car, then that's what will be. We can all speculate on what is going to happen but the fact of the matter is that Fred keeps hinting, Schumi has said that Felipe is out of Jokers, Luca praises Fred all the time, Kimi likes Fred ( I have some pre-press show picts of them cutting up and having a good time), Mateschitz himself said Fred is only available for a year, the rumor is that Luca has Fred as an option driver for 2009... So you can all say it's not going to happen but look at the facts.... If you add this all up something is going on and it involves Luca, Ferrari, Fred, and a lot of other things that point to a red car in Fred's future... JT is out of the picture, that had to happen in order for Fred to come over, notice it didn't take long for Luca to get JT on his way... Stefano is running things and he is liked by Fred and likes Fred, and Ross didn't get the job, went to Honda, Ross wasn't a Fred fan..... So what all does this say??? We'll see here soon, in the mean time, let's keep watching Ferrari and hopefully they will get a WDC and WCC this year again..

6. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

You have supplied no hard facts that he has a deal. What is fact is the running of the mouth by Alonso about hoping to go there. Kimi had a deal...total silence. Alonso hoping for a deal languising mid pack.....running mouth. Hence NO DEAL. Decorum would demand he keep it to himself until the approved time for that news to be put out. Its really simple. He has no deal. His mouth is proving that pretty well. First sign of a problem is a constantly running concerned mouth. If he had a deal he wouldnt need to tell you or me at all.

He didnt want a multi year deal with a none competitive team, since he couldnt go to any of the top 3. As I posted earlier Renault was all he had left. They told him 2 yrs or no deal and he took it, NO other choice.
    Seems he is saying so much here: Crash.net

Alonso: McLaren are not winners
    Eurosport - Sat, 12 Apr 19:05:00 2008
    Fernando Alonso has claimed that he did not leave McLaren-Mercedes at the end of the 2007 campaign because of his public fall-outs with both team-mate Lewis Hamilton and team principal Ron Dennis, but rather because he deemed the highly successful British outfit to be 'not a winning team'.

More StoriesMore Formula One news
    The Spaniard cut short his three-year McLaren contract to return to Renault - with whom he claimed both his world drivers' championship successes in 2005 and 2006 - and even if his current R28 mount has proven to be a distinct disappointment in terms of its pace and potential, he argued he believed there was more chance of winning with the Régie in the years to come than had he stayed at Woking.

"McLaren seem like a winning team, but they are not," he is quoted as having said by Dutch website f1today.nl. "Some teams are able to produce good cars [and] seem like winners, but in fact they are not, like McLaren.

"They haven't won any titles in years, so I would rather be with Renault, who in the same period collected two drivers' and two constructors' championships."

Whilst there have been a good many rumours linking the 26-year-old to a switch across to Ferrari in 2009, Alonso also stressed that Renault was the right place to be for him at the moment - though he would only remain there beyond the end of the current season, he added, should he be given a winning car next year.

"I could have gone to a couple of other teams," he acknowledged, "but ultimately Renault seemed like the right ones, with the experience, to make a good car and win races.

"Next year I want to be with a team that can win. At the moment I think it will be Renault, because by the end of the season we will have made up a lot of our deficiencies and then we can make a small further step for next season."

Crash.net / Eurosport

7. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Kimi 2007 and 2008 WDC, Kimi and Fred 2009 Forza Ferrari....

8. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    +1

9. 355

355 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Frank
    If Ferrari win both titles this year then it is even more likely that they will stay with the same duo. Why change a good thing? Why bring in a proven team destroyer? Aint gonna happen.

10. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Good point.

How about to do some succession planning?

11. GrndLkNatv

Sep 13, 2006
    Grand Lake, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Stephens
    That Luca doesn't care what you say, nor what I say, especially since we are arm chair race team leaders. As I said, if Luca feels he needs Fred, then he'll be driving the red car, regardless of what any of us think or what we have presented as fact... So if Fonzo doesn't have an option with Ferrari next year who is it with? Mario T has already said it isn't with BMW. It's not with Red Bull, It's not with Williams, It's not with Honda, It's not with Toyota, so I am wondering who it could be... Mateschitz has come out and said he is only available for one year so he has an option to drive somewhere, that is a fact...

12. 355

355 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Frank
    How about the fact that maybe Alonso was just shooting his mouth off again and bluffing in seek of a 1 year contract so he could leave his options open to bail out if Renault does not do so good. Ill bet that Alonso had no option at all for next season. Im sure we will all see that at the end of this season when again he opens his mouth and noone takes him and he stays at Renault. Some in here said it last season....Alonso is finished and will never drive to a WDC again.

As for Ferrari planning ahead....sure they are and Im sure they are planning to pick up a young driver by 2010 and not a soon to be has been which is exactly what Alonso will be in 2 years.....Just watch.

13. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Actually I'm perfectly fine with LdM doing what he likes. He has been a tremendous blessing for Ferrari and whatever he touches seems to turn into gold.

14. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    +1

15. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    What I still dont get is that if Ferrari were indeed interested in Fredric, and vice versa, then why did they do the long term with Massa ? Is Massa's contract worthless ?

16. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    A few reasons:

- This was payback for his support of Kimi in 2007 and letting go of the victory at Interlagos.
    - Todt reading the writing on the wall wanted to get this contract under cover while he was still in power.
    - "F1 contracts are flexible" as Alonso said

Besides: We don't know the exact wording of the contract. Could be that Massa ends up in a Ferrari powered F1 car, but not necessarily a Ferrari.

17. GrndLkNatv

Sep 13, 2006
    Grand Lake, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Stephens
    Massa's agent is Nicholas Todt, son of JT. JT knew his time was up at Ferrari as the team principle, so they renewed Massa's contract but if you do a little research you will find out that his contract doesn't guarantee him a race driving position for that time period. Also, Luca does have the option on Fred, Fred has said so, and all others last year when trying to get Fred also pretty much confirmed that program. Now that JT is out of the way, notice how nicely Luca got him out of there, and with Ross B over at Honda, well Luca can bring in Fred without any problem.... It fits pretty nicely....

18. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    Kubica. Fred is getting old

19. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I'm not yet sold on Kubica. But it doesn't matter what I think. In the most recent "Bulletin" magazine from BMW-Sauber sponsor Credit Suisse they rate their own drivers and Kubica is given high kudos, but they themselves call him inconsistent! That to me sounds a lot like Massa: Superfast and unbeatable at times and a DNF the next go around. Not to turn this into another Massa bash thread. Just making the comparison because it sounds replacing an existing driver with Kubica doesn't really buy you anything.

20. maxorido

maxorido Formula 3

Jul 6, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jim
    That's why I think Heidfeld is superior. Not only does he have the speed, but he has the CONSISTENCY. I can't even recall when I've seen Heidfeld make a significant mistake.

21. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Yes, but as someone said here before, maybe he wanted a one year contract just because Red Bull hasn´t showed anything so far and he didn´t trust them.

I would have done the same thing in his position. Red Bull? WTF?

22. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    So why is Kimi driving for Ferrari? :confused:

They replaced Irvine with Rubens, they replaced Rubens with massa, and they replaced Michael with Kimi. The facts do not correspond with your statement.

23. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    Alonso is 27.

Other than Schumacher and Fittipaldi, every other F1 WDC has been older than that when they won their first title.

24. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    +1

i think they hit their peak when they're between 27-33 yrs old.

25. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    IIRC, Fangio was in his 40s when he won his 1st WDC :D