Alonso...the pathetic :) | Page 8 | FerrariChat

Alonso...the pathetic :)

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by DF1, Jul 24, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    He was always quick especially over one lap. He was also very erractic too. It took him years to get rid of that wild streak that held him back. Before 98 he was quick but wild and often made huge mistakes. From 98 on it seemed to come together. DC came to the team and it was an evenly matched fight for a while. DC finished ahead of Mika in the 97 points. In 96 Mika finished ahead. Once Mika won for the first time, he left DC behind.

Mika outqualified Ayrton that one time, but he got blown away after that.

2. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    they were McLarens, who cared ?? :p

3. maxorido

maxorido Formula 3

Jul 6, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jim
    So do you think it was a confidence issue? Did it only take that one win for him to take off like a rocket, and end up being a two time champion and Michael's greatest rival?

4. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    I think so. That, plus a car that was finally up to the task made him very formidable. He by no means blew DC away before 98. They had been teammates since 96 and it was pretty even. Some people take longer to come into thier own as a racing driver and I think Mika falls into that category.

5. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    I did.............;)

I'd rather see a close race than a 70 lap parade regardless or who's in front.

6. maxorido

maxorido Formula 3

Jul 6, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jim
    +1

That's why I'm glad Mclaren received that information from Ferrari. If it makes the racing closer, then I'm all for it. I don't want to see another 2004 season.

7. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    yep. they had no way of knowing how the rest of the season would pan out. you should know as well as anyone to always expect the unexpected in this sport. just look at this years seesawing. no sooner was one team looking totally dominant, then it changes just like *that*

8. 355

355 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Sure stats in this case are no good to you as it shows your boy was not as good as you would like to think he was. For someone who in other arguments continually statesthat he basis his arguments on FACTS, well there are no facts clearer than stats when it comes to competitions such as racing. BTW MS raced 250 times and sat on the podium 154 times. Fangio won 24 times out of 51 starts, podiumed 31 times and back then if their car broke down the 2nd driver could stop and hand over his car. Imagine that today. You cant compare yesteryear to moder F1 racing where Fangio wouldnt even fit into an F1 car. Prost was a better driver than Senna but he was not so outspoken and contriversial. Much of those attributes will make someone bigger by always being in the spotlight.

9. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis

That's called sport my friend, without that why bother to watch? At that point of the season MS already had a big cushion of points and Montoya, although was finishing well, wasn't winning. MS could have skipped a race and still held the lead in the points. You may not know what going to happen in the future but Ferrari knew there was no other team that was a real threat to them. The Williams looked good but it was far from a match for the Ferrari. His only real threat was RB. To me, it was totally unnessecary, anyway you look at it. The FIA seemed to agree with me too........:)

Aside from that what if something had happened to Schumacher, then what? They would have jerked Barrichello out of points he might have needed.

10. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    well they obviously didn't learn from when they made EI play second fiddle and MS had his Silverstone shunt

11. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    As has been discussed here numerous times, stats do not tell the full story. Hence any discussion on the relative superiority of one driver over another becomes an inherently subjective argument.

However we do have a few seasons where Schumacher and Senna competed heads-up. You can always go back and look at those stats if you like...

12. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    +1

Some of us are fans of good racing, Luis, first and foremost, regardless of the teams involved. Others are simply iconoclasts.

13. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    To the original creator of this thread, I applogize for the tread jack as it has evolved far away from a thread about FA.

To Luis and the other members here that cares, please follow the link to a new thread that I created to continue our discussion. Thank you.

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=161156