Alonso signs for Ferrari........ | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Alonso signs for Ferrari........

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by tritone, May 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    Oh really? So that year's Renault was the faster car all year? The Renault was clearly faster until around Canada. After that the Ferrari caught up and was the faster car. Look it up if you don't believe it. MS got beat to the title by Alonso plain and simple. The team threw it away for him at the end with the motor blow up in Japan.

2. R2112

R2112 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2006
    TX
    #127 R2112, May 30, 2008
    Last edited: May 30, 2008

IMO, the Renault was the same all year. The Renault didn't become slower after Canada, it's just the Ferrari finally got it together and came up to speed. Once that happened we saw who was easily the better driver. Both Renault and Ferrari were running equally strong and we saw MS win 5 GP's to FA's 1. We all know why FA got lucky and won that 1 GP and it wasn't due to MS's lack of skill. ;)

I disagree. IMO, MS got beat to the title by the freak Ferrari engine failure and the Ferrari's lack of pace in the first half of the season, not FA. FA was in the right car at the right time and was able to capitalize.
    Please understand that I am not claiming that FA has no driving skill or is overrated. I consider him to be one of the top three drivers on the grid. My opinion is simply based on the 2006 season between FA and MS.

3. shahedc

shahedc Formula 3

Jun 4, 2007
    Washington DC
    towards the end of last season, I came up with a "wishful thinking" scenario, where each of them end up with 108 points each. In my calculations, I assumed grid positions and racing points for each driver that weren't very plausible, but definitely probable. (just low probability, that's all)

In case of a 3-way tie in the last race, what would have happened?

~shahedc

4. 355

355 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Thanks Clint....Saved me a lot of typing.

5. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis

Exactly. In the end, that's how you win a title. It wasn't that FA or MS was the better or worse driver, it's all the package and luck.

MS and Ferrari got beaten by FA and Renault. Ferrari caught up, and was better that the Renault from Canada on IMHO. FA didn't suddenly become slow. Ferrari had a better car at that point and the MS/Ferrari combo was faster

The original post was in response to Franco saying FA needed a better car to win the WDC. I pointed out the Renault was not always the better car in 06. MS and Ferrari was stronger than the Renault at the end of the year.

6. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    ...or spent the Memorial Day holiday weekend at my shore house with my wife.

All I can say, Fair-Weather Franco, is when Alonso is announced for Ferrari that you don't let the door hit your arse on the way out.

7. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    I have two words for you: Mass Damper. You might want to look it up.

8. 355

355 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Dont worry that door wont be closing on me. But when Massa wins his 4th race this year I suspect you will be leaving.

9. R2112

R2112 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2006
    TX

Technically it's actually 3 words: Tuned Mass Damper ;)

Yes I remember that ordeal. IIRC, that device wasn't deemed illegal until the end of July for the German GP. MS and Ferrari had already won in the US and France GP's where Renault were still using it. Which is on of the reasons why I still feel that once Ferrari finally got their car together by the US GP, FA didn't have a chance. Also IIRC, other teams including Ferrari were using a Tuned Mass Damper as well and had to remove their's too. At the German GP Renault put out a press release stating that they felt losing the Tuned Mass Damper didn't effect their performance. Renault was claiming blistering of the tires to be the issue. I'm not certain how badly losing the device hindered Renault. I'm pretty sure it probably put a hiccup in the teams moral momentum though. This incident did happened a while ago so I could be fuzzy on the stats. :)
    Either way, IMO the banning of the device placed the teams on a more level playing field and once that happened we saw the difference between MS and FA....about 5 to 1 ;)

10. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    Exactly, which proves my point that Alonso did not have the best car all year in 06 when he won the title.

11. R2112

R2112 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2006
    TX

I see your point. IMO though, MS and Ferrari were not necessarily stronger than FA and Renault at the end of the season. It just took Ferrari half the season to finally give MS a competitive car like what Renault had already given FA.

12. R2112

R2112 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2006
    TX
    I think we're saying the same thing...just differently. :)

13. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    IIRC, he made his car as big as a bus, with some great rear guard action.

14. TifosiF2002

TifosiF2002 Karting

Sep 26, 2006

Renault got lucky w/ the engine failure in Monza or that championship would have ended up in our hands...thats racing...Errrr

15. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Well, I double checked and I'm no longer so certain: It seems that whether Alonso will actually drive for Ferrari in 2010 is still undecided. He might or might use the option he just signed. We all think he'll come, but whether that'll actually happen is another question. This is F1 after all.

So would I bet 10k on his arrival? Not really. :)

16. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    The engine failure wasn't at Monza it was in Japan. One could also say that Ferrari got lucky in Hungary when the Renault team sent Alonso out with that loose wheel that let Michael get closer in the points in the first place.

17. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    Everybody's a comedian... :p :D

18. R2112

R2112 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2006
    TX
    Ya, I figured you'd enjoy that one. ;)

Btw, I forgot to mention it last week...nice to have you back. :)

19. R2112

R2112 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2006
    TX
    Ya, that helped too. :)

20. cantsleepnk

cantsleepnk Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2005
    Detroit, MI
    Full Name:
    Nick
    If Kimi's gone after 2009 then I could see Ferrari signing Alonso as he's probably THE driver that can go toe to toe with Hamilton in the foreseeable future.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/30052008/13/raikkonen-retirement-rumours-persist.html

Hot on the heels of strong speculation that Fernando Alonso has penned a Ferrari agreement for 2010, it is being rumoured again that the Italian team's current star driver Kimi Raikkonen could be soon to retire.

The reports, suggesting that the 28-year-old reigning world champion will not renew his contract beyond next year, appeared on Friday in the German language newspapers Rheinischen Post and TZ.

Rheinischen Post claims that Raikkonen, the laconic Finn, told some friends at a party recently that he does not intend to spend much longer as a Grand Prix racer.

"Kimi loves the driving and hates everything else about Formula One," one of Raikkonen's apparent friend is quoted as telling TZ.

"The public appearances, the life under the spotlight - he doesn't have the desire anymore," the unnamed friend reportedly added.

21. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
  22. TifosiF2002

TifosiF2002 Karting

Sep 26, 2006
    im sorry your right. when people say 2006 I have my blinder's on. it was japan. Monza was just a great day until schumi retired...errrrr got kicked out by montezemola

23. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    Yeah I gotta agree. It was a bit sad.

24. R2112

R2112 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2006
    TX
    I don't know what you're talking about? MS was always fair and a complete angel on track. He was simply often just a victim of circumstance...

^^^^and that statement is the very definition of sarcasm! :D

Btw, I agree with you. :)

25. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis

Lol, I was about to say.....;)
    Good one!