Alonso looks to be...............leaving | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Alonso looks to be...............leaving

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by DF1, Nov 2, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    No contracts are totally secure in F1. Just look at Alonso this year.

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    It is my dream too to be part of SF. Do you think they will hire me based on that?

3. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    with that amount of Ferrari stuff u have, i bet they will. ;)

4. ferraridude615

ferraridude615 F1 Veteran

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    Hopefully, he will be leaving F1 and going to NASCAR.

5. Ambassiatore

Ambassiatore Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2007
    Full Name:
    David Figueredo T.
    HEhehehehehhheeeee...that was very deserved Andreas, Massa is an asset wether you like him or not...

6. HoYin

HoYin Karting

Apr 18, 2006
    HK-Van
    Full Name:
    Allan
    i wonder if Alonso goes to some team say toyota or redbull, can he make them a faster team will his "knowledge"?

7. cantsleepnk

cantsleepnk Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2005
    Detroit, MI
    Full Name:
    Nick
    You win two.

8. Lexdiamonnyc

Lexdiamonnyc Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2004
    North NJ
    Full Name:
    Lex
    By Alan Baldwin Friday, November 2nd 2007, 15:06 GMT

The race to sign up Fernando Alonso swept into overdrive on Friday after McLaren formally ended their troubled relationship with the double world champion.

Alonso's manager Luis Garcia Abad told Spanish media the Formula One driver was "free to sign for any team next season" and there will be no shortage of offers for the 26-year-old Spaniard.

His former employers Renault, led by flamboyant Italian Flavio Briatore, have already made it very clear that they want him back.

However, the French team may not be Alonso's first choice, even if they are prepared to pay the many millions he will surely demand as the hottest property on the market.

Renault, who took him to titles in 2005 and 2006 and have yet to confirm their driver line-up for 2008, were miles off the pace this year and there are no guarantees their new car will be any better.

Asked 10 days ago if that remained his favoured option, Alonso told Spain's Cadena Ser radio station: "No, right now I'd say no".

Toyota, with one of the biggest budgets in the paddock, have a declared vacancy following the departure of Germany's Ralf Schumacher.

But the Cologne-based team have yet to win a Grand Prix, let alone mount a serious championship challenge, since their debut in 2002.

Ferrari would be the most attractive proposition but they have newly-crowned world champion Kimi Raikkonen and Brazilian Felipe Massa under contract to the end of 2009 and 2010 respectively.

Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo lauded the Spaniard last week, calling him "world class in every sense, an extraordinary driver" but that does not mean Alonso is Maranello-bound any time soon.

"I have to disappoint all of Fernando's fans - I don't think anything will happen in that direction in the next three years," Ferrari's former champion Michael Schumacher said last week.

BMW Sauber, runners-up to Ferrari in the championship after leaders McLaren were stripped of all their points after a spying controversy, also have plenty of potential.

The German team are targeting wins in 2008 but have Germany's Nick Heidfeld and Poland's Robert Kubica under contract.

Red Bull, with Renault engines and top designer Adrian Newey, are bankrolled by Austrian billionaire Dietrich Mateschitz and have big ambitions.

They have been talked of increasingly as a potential short-term home for the Spaniard before he focuses on broader opportunities from 2009.

Red Bull have Mark Webber and Briton David Coulthard under contract for 2008 but the Australian is managed by Renault's Briatore and could find himself caught up in the merry-go-round.

That same driver shuffle, according to paddock pundits, could also see Renault's young Finnish rookie Heikki Kovalainen head to McLaren.

Williams, former champions and more competitive than Red Bull this season, have also been mentioned - particularly if their highly-rated German Nico Rosberg takes the Spaniard's place at McLaren.

The Toyota-powered team have a vacancy, with Austrian Alexander Wurz retiring, but have not won a race since 2004 and would have to dig deep into limited resources to secure a driver of Alonso's standing.

After the mutual split with McLaren, the decision will be Alonso's to make and he will want to do it with more calm than he has had in recent months.

"I have some idea of what I want to do, a plan or a hope," he told Spain's Telecinco at the weekend. "I know what I'd like to do next year but I don't know if it's possible."

9. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    The team was built completely, solely, and 100% around Schumacher. He had no "role" to fill. He had to be ordered back to the team to support Irvine's title bid, otherwise he would have sat out the season. Whatever he wanted he got and when he didn't get what he wanted (i.e. no Kimi alongside him), he quit.

Don't give me that nonsense about Schumacher being a "team" player, it's a myth.

10. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I didn't say he wasn't an asset. I'm just questioning that "having heart" is a good enough reason to hire a driver. You win WDCs with talent and ability to drive.

Why is it that the Massa fans on here always come up with these romantic nonsense reasons? Massa has heart, is a nice guy, loves his mother, smiles in interviews, maybe even buys his mechanics pizza. So friggin what?

Alonso can develop any F1 car because he is the best developer currently in F1. He made the midfield Renault into a 2 times championship winning car (something it lost once he left btw) and he helped develop the McLaren to almost clinch the title (a car that had zero wins the previous year). Toyota and RBR have big issues, but he could improve the car. More than any other driver.

11. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    thats true, but what will he achieve should he go to Ferrari and replace Massa, and face the Iceman as his teammate? he'll be crying his eyes out after every race.

12. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Not sure about that. It would be like Prost vs Senna at McLaren. Sometimes Senna won, sometimes Prost. Sure Prost badmouthed Senna at every opportunity he got. But then he would come back and beat him. While the rest of the field got lapped by the two.

13. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Don't give me that nonsense about Schumacher being a "team" player, it's a myth.

Ah - but right after that he completely supported irvine. he f*cked around with Hakkinen during Malaysia and did what he could in Suzuka.
    He is also a team player in a different role. He always knew how to motivate and interact with the team; the mechanics, managment staff etc. he knew the team supported him, and didn't have to worry about the #2 driver, because he always pummeled whoever was the other driver. But he frequently thanked the #2 driver, including giving his trophy to Barrichello after clinching one of his titles.
    Kevin S.
    Orchard Park, NY

14. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    BTW - I'm not looking to start fights, or pick on anyone's arguments here. This is a good friendly discussion - let's keep it that way.
    Kevin S.
    Orchard Park, NY

15. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    true, but will Ferrari as a whole team put up with his antics? i mean, heck...as you know, he's a great driver, but whenever something goes wrong, he points finger at everybody. will the team stand him? i doubt.

16. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    My guess is that Alonso will head back to Flavio's domain. My support for Ferrari would be nil should he ever show his face there. He's clearly demonstrated his "true self" and, sorry but I think he's a 100% jackass.

Carol

17. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    agreed. Schumi is a team player. if he isn't, why does he thanks the team for every win? he appreciates their hard work, and the team knows that. he could have left Ferrari when they failed to get the WDC and WCC in 1998 for Mclaren. but, he knew he had finish what he started.

18. Ambassiatore

Ambassiatore Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2007
    Full Name:
    David Figueredo T.
    easy man, I was just joking, sorry...on the development side I agree Alonso is good at it...and may well fit the Schumi format if finds the right environment...maybe his best bet will be helping over ar redbulll...besides the will LOVE the camera over the former champion

19. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Good point. Mateschitz has the $$$ to pay him and they would have a field day at every GP with his notoriety and all the journos buzzing around the RBR motorhome.

So: Will DC finally be sent into retirement? Or will he just swap seats with Alonso? Or is it even Webber that they sack?

20. GoFerrari28

GoFerrari28 Formula 3

Jun 16, 2004
    Ridgemont, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Spicoli
    I agree, but I think Renault would rather have Fernando back in one of their factory cars than driving for a customer team and being regularly beaten by them if Fernando is able to help whip the team into shape and finish regularly on the podium. Since the Spanish sponsors that followed Fernando to McLaren still have a year to go on their sponsorship agreements, it is likely that Renault would only have to shoulder the additional fee for Fernando for the first year and then would be able to secure those sponsors for 2009 forward.

21. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    All true, but it seems that Renault doesn't go for the one year contract deal. RBR just might, if for no other reason than to have a WDC sitting in their car. Kinda like Damon Hill in a Jordan. And guess what, he won!

22. Tom(Atl)

Tom(Atl) Formula Junior

Oct 29, 2006
    USA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    So do you think it would be more interesting to see Alonso go to a second tier team, to see the impact he could potentially have? I think that would be much more interesting than seeing him head to Ferrari, where the car is already developed and he would have less of an impact.

23. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    From a racing and championship perspective it'd be best if Alonso ends up in the Renault. He could bring them back to the front. He won't achieve that with RBR (although Williams did come from nowhere in 79).

From my personal perspective, nothing is more interesting than to see Alonso in the Ferrari. But that's just me. :)

24. GoFerrari28

GoFerrari28 Formula 3

Jun 16, 2004
    Ridgemont, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Spicoli
    True, Andreas, but I think the whole one year contract issue was a result of the common perception that Ron Dennis was not going to let Fernando go to a factory team for 2008, so Fernando was going to have to drive for a customer team for 2008 with hopes of signing with a top factory team for 2009. Since that has been confirmed to not be the case, I think he wants a long term contract with a team that is capable of helping him win a few more WDC's, and at this point in time, I think the only team that is in a position to provide him with a WDC capable car for 3 years is Renault.

25. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
    But RBR has a great designer and they finished the season very strong, with both cars qualifying in the top 10 and that is with 2 second tier geezers. Alonso in the same car would have done a lot more. Also the car should be even better next year.