Alonso looks to be...............leaving | FerrariChat

Alonso looks to be...............leaving

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by DF1, Nov 2, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Planet F1 latest...........

'Alonso to leave McLaren today'
    Friday 2nd November 2007

An announced is expected later today confirming that Fernando Alonso will be leaving McLaren with immediate effect, according to the Spanish press.

Alonso and his McLaren future have dominated the headlines of late as the Spaniard's relationship with his team and his team boss Ron Dennis continued to deteriorate in the latter part of the season.

There was even a time when Alonso and Dennis were not speaking to each other after the double World Champion threatened to go to the FIA with information he had on Stepneygate.

But despite the tense relationship Dennis has so far refused to outright dismiss the idea of Alonso staying on. In fact the McLaren team boss said in the days immediately after the season finale in Brazil that he would be sitting down with Alonso to discuss his future.

And according to Marca, that discussion has finally taken place.

The Spanish sports daily claims that Alonso met with his bosses in England, however the two sides were unable to reach an agreement on next season eventually deciding it would be best for all concerned if Alonso leaves that team.

Where he'll be going though, remains a mystery.

While rumours suggest a move to Renault is on the cards, AS recently reported that McLaren will only let Alonso out of his contract if he moves to one of F1's minion teams.

And although Williams can't really be considered a minion, the Grove-based team could be Alonso's most likely destination as he seeks a one-year contract before trying his luck with Ferrari.

2. 400SPYDER

400SPYDER F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2004
    Kent, England
    Full Name:
    kevan
    Spanish report here :-

http://www.elmundo.es/elmundodeporte/2007/11/02/motor/1194002469.html?a=460e278f7da660fed5dcf213ad3e5428&t=1194005534

Poor babelfish translation here :-
    MADRID. - Fernando Alonso and McLaren Mercedes have confirmed their rupture. The Asturian pilot, to whom it had left two years of contract, will not have to pay by the rupture of his bond with escudería. The rupture has been fruit of three days of intense negotiations with McLaren on the part of the reprententante of Fernando Alonso - Luis Garci'a Abbot and a lawyer of the Garrigues company afternoon negotiated during everything of Thursday and the morning of Friday in the seat of McLaren Mercedes in Woking (England). The Asturian pilot will initiate his vacations, and its desire was to do it broken ties with escudería where convulsa, in which finally it finalized third in World-wide of Formula 1, behind the champion, Kimi Raikkonen (Ferrari), and of its companion of escudería has run this season, Lewis Hamilton. In afternoon of Thursday a great advance in the conversations took place. At this moment, the following chapter begins. Practically all great escuderías (Toyota, Renault, Williams, Network Bull...) very would be interested in counting on the services of the bichampion of the world. The Spanish wants to decide with calm and not to hurry on the car that will pilot the next year

3. peter5

peter5 Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2005
    NoVa
    Excellent. This will hopefully lead to an even more exciting '08 season. I think Nico could be competitive in the second car at McLaren, and if FA can pick up development in the Renault or BMW I think we could see 5 or 6 drivers fighting for a win every race. Add to that the aerodynamic changes and the elimination of traction control which will increase overtaking and we could be seeing a revitalization of the actual "sport" in F1.

Peter

4. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    also confirmed on Autosport.com

5. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    Not that I have any say in it, but for me he is still more than welcome.

6. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

++Couldnt agree more. Id love to see another Jr pilot at Mclaren and see how the world works then. Id say the more senior drivers might have an edge given the loss of traction control for next year.
    If Williams picks up Alonso he will most definitely be as asset for car development. Who knows maybe he wont leave the new team he signs with. I think Ferrari has the edge for next year, but with this move all bets are coming off, plus new rules like traction control. I have a feeling we will forget this season rather quickly :)

7. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    Wait - he's going to take a one year contract with a view to getting a seat with Ferrari?? Ummmmm.... correct me if I'm wrong but both seats are filled for at least two, right?

8. TCT

TCT Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2004
    USA
    ohhhh, I can't wait! Can you imagine dry track racing that have the same dynamics as a rain race? Oh my.

9. peter5

peter5 Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2005
    NoVa
    It's gonna be exciting - I don't think you can do this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzX4UySRmqQ) with traction control. :)

Peter

10. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    According to Spiegel ( http://www.spiegel.de/sport/formel1/0,1518,515029,00.html ), rumours are that he will go to Red Bull. Could be a wise move from his side, either he'll succeed to build them up like Schumi did with Ferrari, or he'll leave them after 2009 and replace Kimi... which I hope he doesn't do.

11. Stefano64

Stefano64 Rookie

Nov 2, 2007
  12. hg

hg Formula Junior

Dec 26, 2005
    IT IS OFFICIAL...ALONSO HAS LEFT MCLAREN.

13. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    This will likely bring an end to Alonso's career as the top dog in F1.

Why you ask?

Wherever he goes next year, it will not be in a WDC-winning capable team, because it's definitely not going to be McLaren or Ferrari. Lets say he goes to RBR or maybe Williams. He's going to be mid-pack. And a guy like Alonso can't take that, so I tend to think he will start again with the vitriol and accusations and will make himself look bad all over again - except this time he won't be the current back-to-back-WDC-who-has-always outshined-his-teammates to back it up.

If he does a 1 year deal, then at the end of that year this is what people will remember about him

1) He's not the reigning WDC
    2) He was outshined by Hamilton in equal cars
    3) He sucked this year (next year)
    4) He went nuts on Renault, McLaren and Team X when he didnt win
    5) He thinks he's worth $$$$$$$$$$
    6) He will be trouble in whatever team he's at

So what is his market value? Lets say Hamilton wins WDC next year... Kimi and Lewis' market value and demand would be above Alonso's. Alonso will never be back at McLaren - and does Ferrari really need someone like that when they have a better driver in Kimi? If Massa does even a half-decent job next year, he can probably be in the Ferrari in 09 as well. Look at MS/Rubens - Rubens sucked and they kept him there for years, until he started dissing the team. Massa has that seat for a while, IMO.

Alonso just ensured he will never win another WDC by leaving McLaren. Mark my words - I would bet a tidy sum on that fact. Alonso will fade into obscurity like JV did after leaving Williams.

14. 400SPYDER

400SPYDER F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2004
    Kent, England
    Full Name:
    kevan

Quote from BBC website article :-

It has been widely speculated that wherever Alonso ends up next season, it will be for only a year before moving to Ferrari.

Ferrari last month extended Felipe Massa's contract to 2010, which appeared to end the possibility of Alonso joining in 2009 because Raikkonen is also contracted to the team for another two years.

But Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo is known to be a fan of Alonso, and said after the conclusion to the championship last month: "Alonso is world-class in every sense.

"I have appreciated very much his sportsmanship. He lost by one point and I believe it wasn't his fault."

It is possible that a vacancy could be made for Alonso by paying up Massa's contract at the end of next season.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7074737.stm

15. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I disagree (and no, not willing to bet on this). He is one of the top three drivers in F1 today. The teams were taken by surprise that he is available now and so they didn't really align their seats, but that situation will be different for 09. In 09 he'll be sitting in a top car again (hopefully Ferrari) and once again go for the championship.

Remember this guy had "sabbaticals" before when he was relegated to Renault's test driver after he was already a GP driver for Minardi. He'll take 08 in stride and will work on aligning his 09 ride.

Also he is the best development driver in F1 (not my words, but BusinessF1's) today, so whatever crappy ride he gets for 08, he still might enjoy himself and go for an occasional podium.

You compare Alonso to JV. Big mistake. Alonso is a multiple WDC. That doesn't happen by accident. He'll be back. And I look forward to it, particularly if he'll be wearing a scarlett suit.

16. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    +1

I would be more inclined to compare him to Niki Lauda, who left Ferrari under a cloud, spent a couple of year sin an unproductive team and returned to win a 3rd WDC.

Alonso to Ferrari in 2009, there seem to be far too many rumors swirling about this for there to be nothing behind it. He could sign a one year deal for big bucks with Red Bull or perhaps he takes a year off. He certainly will be getting paid big by McLaren to buy out his contract.

I don't think McLaren picks up Nico, it would be career suicide for Nico per Keke's reckoning. Maybe they elevate Pedro de la Rosa or take a chance on Paffett.

...or, hope of hopes, they bring back JPM :D

17. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    He will never end up at Ferrari. After his actions not only this year, but at Renault, Ferrari is well aware that Alonso would never be a team player. He is very reminiscent of Alain Prost - incredibly talented, but moreso incredibly selfish. Most Champions are selfish, but at Ferrari you have to succumb to the overall strategy.
    Ferrari may have some dubious strategies, that most teams (and the public) sneer at; but they have a room full of Championship trophies that most teams (and the public), would kill for.
    Alosno & Kimi would never work.
    One other thing - even Ferrari's deep pockets could not afford the salaries of both Kimi & Alonso. (Unless a major sponsor were willing to pay the majoroty of Alonso's contract they way Phillip Morris funds Kimi's.)
    Just my thoughts, as an astute observer of the sport my whole life.
    Kevin S.
    Orchard Park, NY

18. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    So was Schumacher. That worked out pretty well for Ferrari, don't you think.

Show me a WDC who is not selfish. It doesn't work that way.

19. 400SPYDER

400SPYDER F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2004
    Kent, England
    Full Name:
    kevan
    Not according to the BBC article I mentioned above :-

Alonso is free to join another team in 2008, and his agent said neither party would pay a financial penalty.

20. tessmania

tessmania Karting

Oct 20, 2006
    Ireland
    What's with this 2009 ferrari nonense? Ferrari have two contracted and in my opinion better drivers and they are better for the team. Why change that? Alonso isn't that amazing if you ask me

21. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    What I wrote:
    'Most Champions are selfish, but at Ferrari you have to succumb to the overall strategy.'

Exactly - which is why Schumi was perfect for the Scuderia. He - and everyone else - knew his role in the team. Whether or not there were clauses in Irvine's & Barrichello's contracts (which the public will never see); relegating them to number 2; they knew their role. 'We pay you millions a year; you get a few wins, a lot of podiums; a new road car every year; side sponsorship deals all day long, but you are an EMPLOYEE of Scuderia Ferrari'.
    Ferrari has always had their own agenda; moreso in the modern F1 of today. The few times they tried to have driver parity - it backfired. Hence why Prost was fired; after the Mansell/Prost pairing.
    Villenueve/Pironi also did not work out (obviously).
    Kevin S.
    Orchard Park, NY

22. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    but then again no one is asking you. Nor are they asking me, but in my view Alonso is still among the definate top in F1. To me, both him and Kimi at Ferrari would be a dream line up.

23. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    Jim Clark?

24. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Is RBR using Ferrari or Renault engines in 2008?

And if Alonso would end up at RBR would it make a difference if the car was powered with a Ferrari engine in regards to his 09 plans at Ferrari?