Alonso in red for 08? Oh my! LMAO | FerrariChat

Alonso in red for 08? Oh my! LMAO

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by racerx3317, Sep 17, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    http://www.crash.net/news_view.asp?cid=1&id=154548

Fernando Alonso
    could be on his way to
    Ferrari
    in 2008, after the Scuderia entered the frame to sign the double world champion, who is out of favour at McLaren-Mercedes.

Alonso has been unhappy this year at Ron Dennis' team as he hasn't been given outright number one status - and instead has had to battle it out with his rookie team-mate and current championship leader, Lewis Hamilton.

Relations at the Woking-based outfit have also sunk to a new low in recent weeks, following his argument with Dennis at the Hungarian
    Grand Prix
    and the subsequent impact this has had with regard to the spy row. Neither has spoken, or so the rumours go, since the heated 'discussions' at Budapest.

All this has led to strong talk he could be about to re-join Renault, something that has been speculated about for a while - even though he has a contract with
    McLaren
    - and on Saturday, Alonso's manager, trainer and other close associates were seen in discussions with
    Renault
    F1
    team management and with Flavio Briatore himself, something that nobody made any attempt to hide.

The latest twist though is that Ferrari has joined the race for the Spaniard, at least according to paddock sources.

The theory goes that
    Felipe Massa
    will be dumped to make way for Alonso, something that would give the Scuderia a formidable line-up - although with
    Kimi Raikkonen
    in the other seat Fernando won't get outright #1 status, something that may give Renault the edge, in terms of getting Alonso to sign on the dotted line.

If Alonso does manage to get out of his McLaren deal, he may have to pay for the privilege, something that will go some way to helping the Surrey-based squad pay off their record $100 million fine.

In a separate development meanwhile both Jean Todt and Ron Dennis could be on there way out.

F1 insiders add that Todt is no longer as popular as he once was and may be replaced by former technical director, Ross Brawn, while Mercedes allegedly want Ron out after all the spy shenanigans, something that has left the German manufacturer less than pleased.

How much is rumour and fact remains to be seen.

More to follow as and when it develops...

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I like the sound of that!

Putting the currently best driver into the Ferrari would make a lot of sense. I doubt though that Todt would allow this to happen. But then again he wanted to keep MS and didn't get his wish there either.

If I had to bet money though, I'd put it on Alonso in the Renault in 08. But I sure would welcome him at the Scuderia.

3. Tobias

Tobias Formula 3

May 22, 2004
    NY
    If Alonso joins Ferrari, I can no longer lend my support. I'll probably root for BMW.

Everyone has seen what lows Fernando has stooped to at McLaren because he is not the clear #1 driver. At Ferrari with Kimi on board, prepare for fireworks. Imagine FA blackmailing Todt or Brawn? The guy isn't trustworthy, loyal, or a team-player. I'd avoid him like the plague. No thank you!

4. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Ermmm

Interesting I will wait till I hear more, although some shake ups are overdue..

Ross back ..YEH

5. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    There's the thing, Todt might be on the way out too. Looks like LDM wants full control of his company.

6. Ambassiatore

Ambassiatore Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2007
    Full Name:
    David Figueredo T.
    not a chance!...Alonso has never been an option, He doesnt fit, besides, you honestly think CDM will bring him over after this?...he´s one of the best Corporate Manager in the world...I dont see why would they dump massa, bring over Fernando, and pair it with Kimmi...

sorry folks but I think this is just another british gossiphore revving up!

...I dont like him FA, nor I would want him on Ferrari...and He´s Flavio´s kiss and tell DIVA...why would they bother?

We at FERRARI are doing just fine with both drivers...look at the stats...give one real reason to call one faster...they are even and I still like Massa better...but is just a BIAS given his burning heart and POLE positions extra-stamina...

7. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    That's the story BusinessF1 has been portraying for a year now. LDM is gunning for Todt's head.

8. GTSguy

GTSguy Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Well put. Alonso is a great driver but lacks the honor to be called a champion. Ferrari would sully its (not too clean) name by hiring him. If winning at any cost is all that matters, Alonso is your man.

9. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    Alonso is a better driver than Massa. Regardless of all the other stuff ,Massa can't carry Alonso's jock strap talent wise. If they could keep Alonso happy it might be a great move for the team. He obviously hates being at McLaren.

10. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    "We at Ferrari"? You work for the team?

They're doing not fine: McLaren is going to win the WDC and they would have won the constructors. And not because they copied the Ferrari, but because they built a better car.

Although Kimi outdrives Massa, I don't think anymore he has what it takes to make it to WDC.

11. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    Winning at all costs was also Schumacher's mantra too, let's not forget...

12. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    Win at all costs is the whole point. Reminds me of a certain German driver that was in red for a while too.

13. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    While single WDCs sometimes happen by being a gentleman driver, multiple WDCs are won at all cost. Hakkinen being the exception, but that was only because MS broke his leg.

You don't become a multiple WDC unless winning at all costs is your motto.

14. 355

355 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Frank
    If Alonshole comes to Ferrari then Im done with the team. But It aint gonna happen. I will put money on it. Ferrari fans as a whole would not want him and Ferrari knows it. This guy makes F1 look bad. He has made himself the biggist fool in F1. He has been gifted at least 1 WDC and if he were to win this year then it would be a 2nd. No I doubt very much SF will take on the bumbling idiot. I prayed years ago that they would not bring Senna to Ferrari. There wont be much praying going on this time because I dont think Ferrari is that stupid.

15. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    That same German who insisted on being the #1 driver to the extent that he made Rubin's give up the lead on more than one occasion when it was obvious that he would not otherwise win...

16. Ambassiatore

Jan 30, 2007
    Full Name:
    David Figueredo T.
    I get the all important job of supporting the team when no one else is listening or supporting it!!!

...I mean we like "IF" I WORK IN IT...yes.

and we are loosing this WDC thanks to reliability problems more than having slow drivers...like it or not, the Massa boy has outperformed Kimmi just as many times Kimmi has blown Massa...

...and lets not start again with the "McLaren built a faster car..." because knowing the specially developed gas for the tires will get SOME help right?

17. Tobias

Tobias Formula 3

May 22, 2004
    NY
    Not to mention the weight distributions and braking systems. But the cars are just sooooo different that the data was tossed. Right. I bet McLaren's simulator did a little overtime work this season.

18. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    I see you've heard of the German driver that i speak of.

19. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    So you'd rather keep Kimi who has bouts of inconsistency and Massa that can't win unless he doesn't have to pass anyone? You must not want Ferrari to win

20. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Agreed that reliability had a big part in it, but both drivers made bad mistakes. One lacks talent, the other motivation. Drivingwise Kimi has the upper hand, but sadly only when he wants to.

While I'd love nothing more than to see Massa gone from the team, I think actually a combination of Alonso and Massa would work better. Simply because it would be easier for Alonso to control Massa than Kimi and we wouldn't end up with a mess like McLaren this year.

21. Ambassiatore

Jan 30, 2007
    Full Name:
    David Figueredo T.
    ...O.k. then, you dont like Massa at all.I wont argue with that.

...In a MANAGING LEVEL, there is no easy call, and If the TEAM has to live with a new driver "given Massa isnt living up to expectations"-wich I dont think is the case- they wont bring over someone that has all those proven character cycles, or even the commitment issues, I mean, if FERRARI thinks there is anything to be done with Alonso, I cant see why...he turned down his menthor back in Renault, he kept Flavio in the Dark until the last possible minute...he has those Darth turns...like if his dark sides takes over...

...and MAYBE IMO you need more HEARTH in Ferrari than in any other team.
    Because it is run italian way, you need to stick with the gang, have beers with the mechs, stay late and share the sweat and pain along with the victories...

all that, is just my opinion on MY BELOVED team and WHY I think there is no Alonso in the Future...

22. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Chances of a driver change at Ferrari: less than .05%. Massa bailed out Ferrari when Kimi was going backwards. Todt's son is his manager, and Luca is not so stupid to overlook Todt's success rate.

And I still don't understand how anyone can overlook the long term effect of the windtunnel damage, especially with the F2007 performance at a high speed track like Monza where the wheelbase is a non issue. Honda admitted that their windtunnel problem set them back a year.

23. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Phil and Unfairnando really get along well. Remember the race where Alonshole got out after the race, pointed to the mark(s) on his car which was followed by name calling and gestures on both sides?

Do they even speak to each other now? Two Latins with tempers as short as a nanosecond.

Kimi probably can't stand Unfairnado, but he keeps his mough shut about it.

Who can get along with Alonshole? That is the question. Don't think it's Phil though. ;)

24. Ambassiatore

Jan 30, 2007
    Full Name:
    David Figueredo T.
    +1...that was a BIG setback...and even re-designing the flexi-floor to compensate helped to derail the original design...
    ...and Ron said that way early...mmmhhh, I guess the guy has his connections

25. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Actually I think Massa excelled expectations. I don't think Ferrari ever expected him to be a #1 and he isn't. He is a darn good #2, possibly the best Ferrari ever had. But we need a #1 that constantly delivers.

Funny you say that, because I believe that is exactly what Alonso needs: Warmth and a clear #1 status. He gets feisty when that isn't so certain anymore. And I think he actually hangs and bonds with the team. He spent a lot of time with Renault as their test driver. His relationship with Flavio and Stoddart is still great and I bet he would fit in nicely at Ferrari. But the team manager has to be behind him, not sure Todt could do that.