Alonso Hints at Ferrari Move | FerrariChat

Alonso Hints at Ferrari Move

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by jk0001, Mar 25, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jk0001

jk0001 F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2005
    Sun Coast
    Full Name:
    Jim
  2. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    A very similar, more detailed article was on Autosport this morning. According to Alonso, he has an "escape clause" from Renault. His comment about it being logical that he and Vettel are being mentioned, indicates that he's not read the news that's come from the powers to be at STR regarding Vettel.

Carol

3. DMC308

DMC308 F1 Rookie

Aug 19, 2006
    Seattle/Noosa
    Full Name:
    D
    I'm not much of an Alonso fan but I have heard very little from him this season, and even though its only 2 races into it he still has kept a lid on it.
    I wonder now if Ferrari is making a mistake not picking him up.

On the other hand I would be worried with him there, his attitude and the proof from last year he is not a #2 driver makes me think he would cost Ferrari a WCC. I actually think Kimi and Massa are better off... Kinda a tough one...

4. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    The escape clause almost certainly has to be at the end of the season. I'm getting a little worried about Massa but Alonso's propensity for stirring the pot when unhappy does not make him an attractive team member.

5. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    And he will be stirring it plenty while Kimi kicks his ever lovin' butt. He and Flav are a match made in heaven.

6. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    I think FA has several options open. He can either 1) Stay at Renault and continue to develop the car 2) Move to Ferrari to replace Massa. 3) Move to BMW to replace Heidfield. And I wouldn't be surprised if he moves to Toyota, Williams or even Honda if they show significant improvements from now to the end of the season.

7. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    It wouldn't make any sense for him to replace Massa, as he'll put himself back into a similar situation that he had at McLaren. He is simply a driver that cannot coexist on a team with another number 1 driver.

8. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    Even worse than at MCL. 2007, he was the #1, but Hamilton managed to get this position during the season. At Ferrari, Kimi would be the designated number one from the beginning. I only see him at Ferrari when Kimi retires. Question remains, who will be his team mate? Vettel, as he suggests?

9. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Same story reported in Swiss Blick:

http://www.blick.ch/sport/formel1/ich-habe-eine-option-zu-gehen-86853

Nothing too terribly new, but I did find the last paragraph interesting:

Falls das nicht bald gelingt, könnte Alonso schon in der nächsten Saison das von Ferrari-Boss Montezemolo gewünschte Traumpaar mit Weltmeister Räikkönen bilden.

Translation: If this isn't happening soon (Alonso winning in the Renault this year), then Alonso and champion Raikkoenen could already build the dream team, as wished by Montezemolo.

Luca wants Kimi and Alonso. Todt is gone. Guess who'll be driving the 2009 Ferrari?

10. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Moi?

11. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    On first glance, I read whining :D

As said above, I don't believe Alonso will be too happy with Kimi as team mate. But the prospect of being #1 after Kimi leaves could keep him quiet...

12. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    The situation wouldn't be the same as with Hami at McLaren: For better or worse it was reasonable of Alonso to expect #1 status at McLaren. After all he came as double WDC and Hami was a total rookie. A very fast rookie, but Alonso was in the fight against Kimi and really didn't need that youngster breathing down his neck in Melbourne and Monaco.

At Ferrari Alonso would come as former double WDC to the newly crowned double WDC Kimi and know that he'd be on equal turf. I also think he did eat some humble pie last year and if this year leaves him again stranded in the points, he might be even more humble.

Alonso is a cry baby, but the way Ron handled the situation last year at McLaren was unprofessional and unfair. And what went down ultimately on Saturday before the Hungarian GP really brought the situation to a boiling point. Hami and his dad have to accept some of the blame as well.

13. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    He read it and he doesn't buy it. Neither do I. STR is talking up Vettel's contract to shake more money out in a driver transfer. Ther eis no way that a team as cash-strapped as STR is going to hang onto a driver when they could get a large transfer payment.

Just ask Frank Williams...

As far as Alonso goes, a big sticking point for him in the off-season was his demand for a one year deal. He absolutely has an escape clause in his Renault contract, and he almost certainly has an agreement in pocket with Ferrari.

14. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    While I agree in principle the situation with Vettel is more complicated than that, because he is also tied to BMW. He is only "on loan" to STR, so Mateschitz probably couldn't even sell him to Ferrari directly.

15. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    The piece's of the jigsaw seem to be fitting ...But I still wonder about the kimi though will he hang his boots up if he win's the 08 WDC, or not.

Andreas? I no you already have him won it but...:)

16. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Frank held on to Nicco despite huge financial offers didn't he?
    I'm getting flash-backs to when all we heard about was what a whinger Prost was.

17. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Hard to say. In a way I want him to hang up his boots after a 2nd title. I love it when they can proove that it wasn't a fluke, but after a couple of WDCs I'm usually getting tired of seeing the same guy on the podium.

I'm almost tempted to say that like the US presidency, there should be a two term limit for WDCs...:)

18. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T

I have said the samething, the fact that Kimi and Alonso came into F1 and have had a career of racing each other and respect each other, makes a big difference to Alonso's situation at McLaren the previous year.

19. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I know what you mean....I agree..:)

20. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    If he wins, yes. He already announced that he doesn't plan to stay in F1 for too long, so if he wins his second title, he's gone I suppose, as he doesn't have to prove anything anymore. If he doesn't win, he'll give it another try 2009, same situation if he wins -> gone, if he doesn't win, he'll be too bored to continue

21. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Well a win for him and the final piece of the jigsaw see's FA in red then..?

Is it a :) or a :( for you Florian....;)

22. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    +1

23. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    I don't really know what to think about him - neither about his current driving skils nor about his ability to work within a team and not without or even against it. Nevertheless, I think the combination Kimi - Alonso or later Alonso - Vettel would be exciting in some way. If both Kimi and Masssa leave Ferrari - who else could replace them?

24. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    How about Alonso - Hulkenberg? :)

25. ferraridude615

ferraridude615 F1 Veteran

May 4, 2006
    Texas