ALMS Risi Competizione | FerrariChat

ALMS Risi Competizione

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by uwood, Dec 6, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. uwood

uwood Rookie

Aug 9, 2010
    What are the chances they run the 458 this year? Now that the Challenge car is public do you think they will make the switch from the 430?

2. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I have heard and read that the Petite Lemans was the last race for the 430 and a 458 is already being readied.

Dave

3. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Fiona hasn't sent out a press release for the past
    few weeks but I do recall hearing Risi was expecting
    delivery of the first 458 GT in December and they
    intended to test it right away.

Not sure if the first test is scheduled to be in Texas
    or Sebring but it's usually the case first tests are
    done at more remote tracks away from media
    and pryng eyes.

Looking forward to seeing the GT racing version
    of the 458, should be spectacular.

BHW

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I would think College Station..........

5. notsofast

notsofast Karting

Sep 29, 2009
    December? Thats earlier then I expected. Hopefully they run two cars next year. Latest rumour is that Krohn is looking to step out on his own in ILMC with a 430. AF Corse will run the 458 and I remember Dominic Farnbacher saying earlier that they have a 458 ordered too.

6. Peter Tabmow

Peter Tabmow Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2010
    Krohn will initially race the 430 while developing the 458 to ensure a decent points haul early in the season (Sebring is 1.5x points). Remember it took quite a while to make the 430 both quick and reliable. It also looks like Krohn rather than Risi will have the guy who sorted the 430 working on the 458.

7. juneracer

juneracer Rookie

Dec 7, 2010
    Krohn bought a 430 GT from Extreme Speed and will be running in the ILMC is what I was told. That’s a good championship for Tracy, he’ll enjoy that.
    Risi won’t get a 458 GT for a while, certainly not in December. The car is still being tested in Italy. ESM will likely get the first two as they have them on order currently. They also have a better budget for testing. But I don’t see them as a championship or race wining threat with the 458 GT. The GT championship will be a tough one to contest again in 2011.

Regarding the 430 GT it was competitive and reliable out of the box. Finished 3rd at Sebring in 2006 (first year in the US) and should have won but the cool suit ran out of ice (last stint) and Jaime (Melo) had to get out as he overheated, which wasn’t the plan. The only driver still suited, was Anthony Lazzaro and he struggles a bit a night as Jaime was to finish, otherwise I’m quite sure the P3 would have been P1. The 2007 Sebring finish comes to mind. Jaime’s green lap average in 2006 was the fastest of all GT’s. That shouldn’t be a surprise as he still continues that trend today.

Hopefully the 458 GT will be sorted quickly in Italy and then it can be further ‘Risi-tized’ to be Sebring proof along with other refinements. Unless the 458 GT has some issues in testing I expect Risi Comp to run it, that’s what Ferrari would prefer, rather then the 430 GT.

Peter, I’m curious who Krohn will have that ‘sorted’ the 430 GT?

8. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    #8 TexasMike, Dec 7, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
    I know people from the Patron & Risi teams. Also know the good doc with Kessel in Europe. They all say they will be running 458s this next season.

9. uwood

uwood Rookie

Aug 9, 2010
    So then I have to ask.....when do we get to see the animal? I am excited to see the 458 trouncing the Vettes as soon as possible.

10. uwood

uwood Rookie

Aug 9, 2010
    #10 uwood, Dec 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. Peter Tabmow

Peter Tabmow Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2010
    #11 Peter Tabmow, Dec 7, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
    To clarify, I understand that the GT2 F430 had some problems when it first came out from Michelotto, and Risi did a lot of work going into 2006 to make it competitive in the ALMS. From what I've heard about the Krohn program, it's for the ALMS rather than ILMC...

12. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Very nice...thanks!!!!!!

13. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
  14. Papa G

Papa G Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    She already looks like a winner. I can't wait until Sebring (and Petit as I will be attending that one for a closer look.)

15. AustinMartin

AustinMartin F1 Veteran

Mar 1, 2008
    Los Angeles/Idaho
    #15 AustinMartin, Dec 7, 2010
  16. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Am I the only one to find the 430 prettier?

The 430 always reminded me of the 250LM, one of my favourite cars!!
    I watched it win Le Mans too...

17. juneracer

juneracer Rookie

Dec 7, 2010
    I wasn’t sure if those shots(s) were public. Competition is so tight in GT it’s better if those didn’t get on the web from a Ferrari perspective potentially. But notice the treaded tires, just a shake down. Testing was supposed to start this week, still in Italy. No other details. The 430, from a looks stand point, will be hard to beat. But the 458 direct injection will also be a big plus; has to be on the road car to use it on the GT car. the purpose built suspension for the 458 will be a big plus. the 430 GT geometry wasn't ideal.

At least the 458 test car is the correct color! but is there any other color?

18. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #18 Napolis, Dec 7, 2010
  19. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    me too :)

20. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    #20 BartonWorkman, Dec 8, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
    Word from well placed source says production
    of the 458 GT-2 ran behind schedule and the
    one we're seeing all over the Internet running
    at Fiorano is the car Risi is expected to take
    delivery of but now not until more like the New
    Year.

However, the team is not certain when it's supposed
    to arrive.

BHW

21. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Racing success tells me the geometry was just fine.

Dave

22. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Don't get too excited. It depends on rules and how many teething problems the 458 has. There are bound to be some. The 430 had tremendous racing success, best for a road based car since the 250 GTO. Time will tell if the 458 can duplicate.

Dave

23. uwood

uwood Rookie

Aug 9, 2010
    Someone already posted before I found it today. I love the look. Just amazing. GT2 is going to tough this year.

Panoz
    Porsche
    BMW
    Vette
    Jaguar
    Lamborghini
    FGT

Very fully class. I am very excited and might just have to make the trip to Sebring.

24. juneracer

juneracer Rookie

Dec 7, 2010
    The 430 GT geometry wasn’t stellar. It was almost pure street car. Most street geometry at 55mm ride height isn’t good. Most of the suspension parts were strait from the street car or very similar. The 458 GT will have purpose built uprights and A-arms and a damper motion ratio more suited for a race car. Luckily the 360/430 and 458’s are good base cars for a GT class.

25. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I am excited they are coming to Baltimore. Even more excited that my building is right at the end of the front straight and 1st turn. I wonder if I can reserve a conference room for the weekend..