ALMS Grand Prix of (Road) Atlanta, April 17: | FerrariChat

ALMS Grand Prix of (Road) Atlanta, April 17:

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by Gatorrari, Apr 5, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I know Andy put up a thread on the South Central forum, but you Carolinians seem to support the Road Atlanta events better than my Georgia brethren.

So who's coming to the ALMS race at the end of next week? Any chance of an RV parked by the fence in the skidpad again? How about a Ferrari corral?

I can't come Saturday since my company is holding a Family Day, but I will be there on Sunday, depending on the weather:
    --If the weather is great I'll come in the Ferrari.
    --If the weather is so-so I'll come in the Civic.
    --If the weather is lousy I'll probably stay home and watch on TV.

2. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    Hey Jim,
    I'll be down saturday in ATL for the auto show at the congress center then heading back up to Road Atl for the races sunday. We should try to meet up somewhere, I have a new car since you saw me last. You can see it in my profile.

Also coming with me are Mark(black S4) and FMS650(david fender). I think Luca and Jdavid might meet us there as well.

3. rated///M

rated///M Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Trevor Ely
    Will probably be coming also.

4. eclipse185

eclipse185 Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2004
    Statesville, NC
    Full Name:
    Rob Whitener
    Gatorrari: What does the weather have to do with you driving your F car on not. Did you see the pictures of those who drove in the snow for the Tail of the Dragon trip. Jack Russell Racing and a few others have some great tips for clean up if your car gets a little dirty.

5. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    While I don't mind driving the Ferrari in the rain (and I have, as recently as this past Saturday), I'd rather not if I can help it. And if there is ANY chance of thunderstorms, fuhgeddaboudit! Remember that thunderstorms, especially in the spring, often bring hail, which is the one thing we all should worry about.

6. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I'll be going to the auto show sooner (probably this Sunday), but after I'm done with Family Day at the plant on the 16th, I'll be available the rest of Saturday afternoon. Suggest a good place to meet, and I'll be there.

7. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    Hey Jim,
    We'll be headed back up to Road ATL saturday for some of the races, so why not meet up there in the usual spot between 6&7/skidpad area.

8. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I know it's early to predict, but what time do you expect to get there, and do you have any plans after the racing ends?

Frankly, I was not planning on going to the track at all on Saturday; I was thinking in terms of something involving Andretti SpeedLab, Ferrari of Atlanta or Flashback Motorworks......

9. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    well those work.......I've never done Andretti, but the guys I'm going with have so maybe we can do that. Let me try to figure out a time frame and get back to you.

10. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Here's one option that could appeal to both those going to the track on Saturday, and those who aren't!

We could meet for a nice Italian dinner at Giovanni's Restaurant in Suwanee. Giovanni's is exotic car friendly and hosts car show/dinners approximately monthly during the summer. There is plenty of parking in a lot with little thru traffic, they have a nice outdoor deck for dining "al fresco", and the food is great! And it's on the northeast side of Atlanta, so it's not that inconvenient for anyone coming from Road Atlanta.

It's at 3630 Peachtree Parkway, just north of McGinnis Ferry Road. Rather than give directions, let MapQuest do it for you. I think their 44 minute estimate is rather overly generous:
    http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp?go=1&do=nw&un=m&cl=EN&ct=NA&rsres=1&1y=US&1a=5300+Winder+Highway&1c=Braselton&1s=GA&1z=30517&1ah=&2y=US&2a=3630+Peachtree+Parkway&2c=Suwanee&2s=GA&2z=30024&2ah=

Think about it, everyone who reads this......

11. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Has the jury reached a verdict yet? As I see it, your options are:

A. After the Auto Show, go to Road Atlanta for the Saturday afternoon support races, or:
    B. Meet me (and hopefully some of the other locals) somewhere in the northside and we can visit Andretti SpeedLab, Ferrari of Atlanta (and perhaps the Lambo store as well) and possibly Flashback Motorworks (I need to find out how late they'd be open).

And from either A or B, there will be option C:
    C. Nice Italian dinner at Giovanni's in Suwanee.

And on Sunday I guess we'll all meet at the skidpad. The long-range weather forecast looks perfect.

12. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    I think we reached a verdict of B/C We will probably do the car show until roughly 1ish then I guess we can head over to Andretti Speed Lab. After that is kinda up in the air, but I'm sure we'll wanna eat sooooo. Jim I'll send you a PM with my cell# in case we need it to meet up.

13. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    Change of plan Jim,

We are planning to be at Road ATL around 11ish saturday watch some of the races until 5 then head down to Andretti Speed lab & dinner. If you wanna meet us at the track that would be easy.

14. Ski Guy 348

Ski Guy 348 Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    Greenville, SC
    Full Name:
    Jay M.
    Let's see...Should I come out and play????

15. RedlineG60

RedlineG60 Formula 3

Dec 25, 2003
    Simpsonville, SC
    Full Name:
    Andy Thomason
    bought my ticket today...jeremy let me know what the plan is whenever you want.

yesss jay you must come. it will be loads of fun man.

16. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    Break out the spider suit and lets roll!!!

17. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    You say you're going to go from the track to Andretti and then do dinner? I would suggest reversing that for two reasons:

First and foremost, Giovanni's happens to be on the way from the track to Andretti. If you want proof, I can provide a link to a map.
    Secondly, if you leave the track at 5:00, you would pass Giovanni's around 5:45, which sounds like a good time to eat. I've already found at least one local who would be interested in joining us, and if we set a firm time I think we could do even better. If you go to Andretti first it will be a very late dinner, which I, for one, would not be interested in. (Andretti, BTW, is open until 1 AM on Saturday night!)

18. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    OK well I didn't know how late they are open. Also how crowded will it be at Andretti? I've never been personally. I wouldn't be opposed to eating first.....

would you still meet us at the track earlier saturday?

PS nice avatar Jay!!!

19. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Prove it Gatorari! or we will call out Spyderman...

20. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Oddly, I haven't been inside Andretti SpeedLab either; last time I tried they were closed for remodeling (completed about a month ago!).

No, I have no plans to go to the track on Saturday. I was planning to meet you guys, presumably at Giovanni's for dinner, and then lead you on to Andretti.

Okay, JDAVID, you want proof, look at these two maps. One is the route (previously posted) from Road Atlanta to Giovanni's; the second is the route from the restaurant to Andretti.

http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp?go=1&do=nw&un=m&cl=EN&ct=NA&rsres=1&1y=US&1a=5300+Winder+Highway&1c=Braselton&1s=GA&1z=30517&1ah=&2y=US&2a=3630+Peachtree+Parkway&2c=Suwanee&2s=GA&2z=30024&2ah=
    http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp?go=1&do=nw&un=m&cl=EN&ct=NA&rsres=1&1y=US&1a=3630+Peachtree+Parkway&1c=Suwanee&1s=GA&1z=&1ah=&2y=US&2a=11100+Alpharetta+Highway&2c=Roswell&2s=GA&2z=&2ah=

21. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    One little aside, the route on that second map from Giovanni's to Andretti goes right past Ferrari of Atlanta!

Open up the map at step #7. The dealership is at the corner of S. Main St. and Wills Rd.

They won't be open by the time we go by but you'll still be able to see the cars on the floor through the big windows.

22. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    I would expect nothing less from an engineer, by the way Jim, do you know Austin Myers? He created www.x-plane.com. From what I understand, he consulted with spaceship one as well. Austin is a new 360 owner and we meet frequently at Starbucks in Columbia. He may be at vir, if he is back from flying his Cirus out to CA.

Check out his website, go to Autin's Adventures, and read his post on purchasing the 360.

23. rated///M

rated///M Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Trevor Ely
    I've been to Andrettis, and it's sweet.

That is all.

See you guys this weekend.

24. bruceski3

bruceski3 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    East TN
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    hmmm I think I might take a road trip this weekend to the Race. I have nothing to do this weekend but look at the Blank wall at the house since im sold out here at the Hotel for Furniture Market. I have never been to Road Atlanta before so I have no clue on how to get there. Guess I will check out there website. I hope you all aren't planning any late night activities at "The Cheetah" in ATL on Saturday night?? LOL
    I wonder if Chateau Elan has any Suite rooms for Saturday night?? I will check in the morning for availibility.

25. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    Hey Bruce,
    It is easy to get to Road Atl....look on www.roadatlanta.com for directions. Assuming you know how to get to i-85 just head to ATL.

Finding a room will be the hard part. Give me a call today or I'll call you.